PDA

View Full Version : Cable Steering

Kirbyvv
05-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I'm considering my first Donzi purchase, a 70's 18, but it has cable steering. My only experience with cable steering was with older outboards when I was a kid, which on occasion broke, making for an intersting ride. Anyone have any input on cable steering?

18FOOTER
05-25-2005, 12:15 PM
had several with single cable, including currently a '72 x-18. no problems. it's nothing like cable and pully outboards of old. had a few of those too and(those suck!) they're not comparable in any way

MOP
05-25-2005, 12:39 PM
Cable is fine until you get into the upper speeds which takes $$$, I do a tiny modification to the Big T heads. On the opposite end from the cable the housing sticks out in a V shape, I carefully and slowly drill into this area with a 3/16" drill bit keep checking the depth. I just pierce the inner surface with the very tip of the bit "DO NOT DRILL THROUGH" then I tap it with a 1/4" tap and install a Zerks fitting which I use to grease the helm about twice a season with two pumps on the gun while rotating the wheel. Back when they offered rebuild kits it was easy to see they used a minimal amount of grease my trick keeps the helm smooth and free it is well worth the effort.

Phil

Kirbyvv
05-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the input. Feel more confident pursuing this boat.