PDA

View Full Version : New "Baby" in the Family!!!!!

Fish boy
05-25-2005, 10:28 AM
Been trying for a couple years now and finally got the "Baby" I have been looking for.

Introducing the newest addition to our donzi family... a white and carolina blue original 16 OB Baby Donzi. Picked it up last night, and got it home at 4:30 am this morning. Could use some TLC, but it is in great shape and original.

I think we are going to run it for a few weeks the way it is, then pull the motor, restore the boat and repower.

Last Tango
05-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Gort,
Klatu VERADO nikto!

Now isn't that TOTALLY sweeeeet!

It would be cool to find an older Mercury motor from the 50's and 60's with the colored cover and the silver banding. Case color to match the boat stripe. Oh, yeah, Baby! And stuff it with current tech. Could be done in time for Mt. Dora next March.
Nice Catch, Fish!

Fish boy
05-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Gort,
Klatu VERADO nikto!

Now isn't that TOTALLY sweeeeet!

It would be cool to find an older Mercury motor from the 50's and 60's with the colored cover and the silver banding. Case color to match the boat stripe. Oh, yeah, Baby! And stuff it with current tech. Could be done in time for Mt. Dora next March.
Nice Catch, Fish!

Thanks Mark, it was actually in your back yard on the St. Johns in Jax. I actually know the motor I would love to find, but chances are beyond slim. Here is a pic- it is a new in the box as of around 2002 merc 200 with a retro cowling. Don't think many were made though, and have no idea where to find one.

BUIZILLA
05-25-2005, 10:52 AM
Fish, have you considered getting the John-Rude blueprinted, with a nose cone addition, and running it like that?

JH

Lenny
05-25-2005, 11:05 AM
NICE !!! :)

I think you should "look into" a Bridgeport like BROWNIE had on his Magnum :eek:

Congrats :yes:

Fish boy
05-25-2005, 11:08 AM
Fish, have you considered getting the John-Rude blueprinted, with a nose cone addition, and running it like that?

JH

the nose cone did cross my mind, but keeping the OMC did not... guy has to have his standards ya know ;) LOL The current motor is a 1977, and think perhaps it is time to start looking for something a little newer. I really like the retro look of the 200 above, but don't necessarily need that much power, and not sure the boat will appreciate it or the weight. Actually even considered a 4cyl Loper due to weight and available horsepower, but this is not going to be a race boat, and at the end of the day, reliability with this one is key.

Fish boy
05-25-2005, 11:22 AM
Very cool boat, nice score!!
From what I heard, the retro motors (which were decalled to look like they were louvered, and came on their own engine stand for like 15g or something) ended up going to collectors... 500 made was one number I heard bandied about....

I was wondering if they were just decals, that would be way cool to get a set or have a set made if I could find one and take some high res pictures.

NICE !!! :)

I think you should "look into" a Bridgeport like BROWNIE had on his Magnum :eek:

Congrats :yes:

That would be sick, a BP on a magnum takes some Huge stones!!!!!! Actually, I wil probably end up at least trying my "other" motor at least once on the back just to see what will happen, but it is a little much for the 16.

McGary911
05-25-2005, 11:44 AM
Wow Fish, nice score! You got a rare one. I've never seen one of them in person. I'll let you know next time I'm Tampa bound......I'd love to see it.

John

Congrats again......:yes:

txtaz
05-25-2005, 12:33 PM
Nice Fish,
Your 77 is a crossflow and a looper is definately the way to go. I built a 140 crossflow bored 40 over, balanced ported and polished on a 16 Glastron/Carlson. It was pretty quick maybe 55 to 60, but would JUMP out of the water. I had a jack plate on it which made it stern heavy. In hind sight, I would have gone with a V-6 looper and left the jack plate off. The Donzi will be heavier than the Carlson, so I would consider a small V-6 looper (150 to 175). I don't know how you feel about the oiler, but I prefer to mix. I've seen many outboards burn up because the oiler failed.
Have fun with the new toy. Keep us posted.
Wes

MOP
05-25-2005, 12:57 PM
Qoute! Actually even considered a 4cyl Loper!

I worked on the cross's and loopers for quite awhile, many will argue but the cross flows stayed together better when modified and were easier to port, no argument on the looper being able to make a little more power. They were also a tad heavier and another cross plus was being able to pull the bypass covers and do a proper ring inspection and carbon job something you can not do on a looper. With 2 stroke carbon is your enemy, you have to keep the guts clean.

Phil

gero1
05-25-2005, 01:28 PM
let me know what year moter you are looking for, i have been looking at a 45 hp merc, the old one that is all white with a 2 blade brass speed prop for 75.00 but i hate to make a mail box out of something that still runs!!! probely can get you free del to fla to

tamburello
05-25-2005, 01:54 PM
Fish-

Very cool! Congrats on bringing another outboard Donzi into your fold. Now, does this one need new stickers? ;) :biggrin.:

- Jeff

Lenny
05-25-2005, 03:59 PM
GW Invader is going to need an engine one day...

...how many boats do you have ??? :( ... never mind... :D

Cuda
05-25-2005, 07:50 PM
Cool boat Fish! You should have dropped it here at my place and took it on the river to the Glen this weekend. It would be a perfect boat for running the river here. Haul it on over this weekend if you want to, we have plenty of room, and I plan on spending four days in the boat Fri to Mon.

onesubdrvr
05-25-2005, 09:10 PM
Fish,

I know what this boat means to you, congrats on the find, finally, eh?

Wayne

TuxedoPk
05-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Congradulations! Great looking boat. Looking forward to hearing how you like the way she performs.

thriller
05-25-2005, 10:06 PM
Great Score Indeed...I like the old Merc retro idea....200hp baby...YYaahhh!

MM

smokediver
05-25-2005, 10:07 PM
congrats fish ! looks great !

Fish boy
05-26-2005, 06:57 AM
thanks for all the kind words everyone, it has been a long search but finally found one.

I would love to find one of the retro engines or at least get some cowling decals to make it look like an older engine. I know where a twister and a twister II (racing motors from the 70's) are for sale, but as cool as they would be on the back, I am not looking for a 9500rpm motor that requires a tool bag every time I go out. Just want it to look like an older motor.

Tidbart
05-26-2005, 07:09 AM
I'd keep running the old engine. It's been a while since you were towed. :biggrin: :p I couldn't resist.

Congrats on the new toy.

B

Fish boy
05-26-2005, 07:15 AM
hehehe, actually, I think you were the last one to tow me. Been coming in under my own power since then, or breaking the motor on the trailer before I can get stranded LOL

gero1
05-26-2005, 12:26 PM
poodle i run across old moters sometimes, i hate to tear something up just to make a mail box. i think... i think.... i think i smell ransom here, a small zip lock of that popcorn that somebody ran off with the whole case

txtaz
05-26-2005, 01:03 PM
Fish, Check out
http://www.vintageoutboard.com/
They might be able to help. I have a 49 Evinrude from my Grandads duck boat but only 4.5 hp. I don't think it would look too good on the back of the Donzi. Makes for a funny image.
Wes
Here's a pic of a Merc you might want. :smash:

Jamesbon
05-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Nice find Fish!

I have a spare Merc. 250 EFI.....hold on!!!!

Donzigo
05-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Nice score, Fish. Bring it to Shell this weekend. It's rumored that Jamesbon's new ride might show.

We'll have a Corona cold for ya.................

Fish boy
05-26-2005, 06:21 PM
Fish, Check out
http://www.vintageoutboard.com/
They might be able to help. I have a 49 Evinrude from my Grandads duck boat but only 4.5 hp. I don't think it would look too good on the back of the Donzi. Makes for a funny image.
Wes
Here's a pic of a Merc you might want. :smash:

Thanks Wes, neat site. I think I am going to go with a new motor but want tohe retro look to go with the look and feel of the boat. A twister would be niiiiiice and I know where I can buy one right now (might anyway and put it on a stand in my living room :) ), but prety sure a lighter/lower hp motor is going to be the right fit for this boat. I may just take a high res of an older motor that I like and have the decals made to make it look like it. If I don't like it, I can always change them.

Nate, 250 is a beast... but I have a little lighter beast on the mistress that I think I will try just to see what happens. That will be one sick ride, but I will pull it back off afterwards and put it back where it belongs. (pic below)

DOnzigo, I am going to see how much I get done tomorrow on it, but it is doubtful. I have not really gotten a chance to shake out the 200 that is on it right now and I pulled lots of stuff off today. Probably will not be ready for a shell run, but you will see me there in something.

Jamesbon
05-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Bring it Fish!

We're mooring up with the "Mother Ship" Saturday eve and staying on the boats overnight. (Elixir & Just Us II & another 40 S/R Dancer) Maybe an Egmont trip or some fishing early Sunday Am, then back to the "main event."

Hope to see you and DonziGo and "Captain Donzi!!!"

We'll be out tomorrow doing a "shake down" run....in preparation for the "bikini fest" to follow.......

EricG
05-27-2005, 12:46 AM
I knew if I dug through my old ads enough I could find it. Maybe it's just me...but that boat looks similar this one...

There is another half of the with a picture of a Tahiti - which is why the words don't make any sense...

Yup...that boat definitely needs a black motor on the back.

Congrats on the new ride...

-EG

Fish boy
05-27-2005, 06:47 AM
you have no idea... LOL That is my mom's old boat in that ad!! My dad was a boat/Merc dealer in the ealry 70's and raced for Mercury factory racing team. They were doing a photo shoot and put their motor on the back of what else... a Donzi. My mom and dad were there and my mom fell in love with it. Somehow she managed to convince the merc guys to give us a helluva deal on the boat, and it came home with them. Unfortunately, $$ was short, and we had to sell it not too long afterwards. I got the boat for her, which is one of the reasons I want to bring the HP down a bit... she has a bit if a lead foot. :D

txtaz
05-27-2005, 09:41 AM
Fish, You are such a good son. BUT then again, having a Mother who has a lead foot in boats is ALWAYS cool.
Hey we're having a BBQ on Sunday, come on over. You too Poodle. LOL
Wes