PDA

View Full Version : Lifting Rings

Pismo
05-25-2005, 08:58 AM
How good are the stock lifting rings in a 22 Classic? They look good, the front extends down to the keel putting the load nicely down to the keel and the rear has a thru-bolted plate that puts the load on the thick part of the transom just above the engine. Has anyone every used them regularly to lift their 22 out? Any problems, concerns, thoughts? I am planning on using them to lift the boat straight up in a boat house whenever I am away, several times per seasons and leaving it hanging on the lifting rings.

Thanks very much,
Pismo

Lenny
05-25-2005, 11:12 AM
Piz, I am sure they are strong enough, ... but... in real world applications these rings would be used to secure to the ropes on the davits and pick it up, spin it around and place it in "its" cradle on the deck of some large yacht.

I think, through time, you might come back to the Lake and be driving your own rendition of a Blackhawk.

I really think, regardless of the stringers, that you would eventually get some rocker into it. I might be wrong (usually am) ;)

MOP
05-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Pismo I have an older 22 it is obvious looking at the wear on my lifting rings it spent a lot of time hanging. My keel is dead straight, up in the 1000 Islands there is a ton of boats all types inc. Donzi's hanging in boat houses. One in particular I have been watching for about 6 years coverd with dust in its boat house, it has not hit the water to my knowledge and it has managed to not loose its shape. Go ahead Hang it Dang it!

Phil

gero1
05-25-2005, 01:33 PM
rocker bottoms kick a@#$

Pismo
05-26-2005, 08:32 AM
Then I can put on a Blackhawk drive.......just kidding

MOP
05-26-2005, 09:48 AM
I did and hope it will work out!

DonziDave
05-26-2005, 09:39 PM
My 1986 18-Classic has been hanging from the lifting rings in my boathouse for 19 years without a single problem. I have an ACE cable hoist installed with the 2 point lift configuration. To keep the hooks on the shakles from scratching up the rings, I had two 3000# capacity nylon lifting straps made that fit through the rings and snap into the hooks. The straps are approx. 1-1/4" wide X 20" long with an eye loop on each end. Works great...!!! No cradle or belly straps. You can wash and wax the bottom with nothing in the way. I also had slits sewn into my cover for the rings so it is covered when lifted.
Only way to go.....Dave

Pismo
07-27-2005, 04:19 PM
Just hung it for the first time, no problems or surprises so far....Wow is that stern heavy....