PDA

View Full Version : St Pete Vinoy Park

florida gator
05-24-2005, 08:25 PM
Is it worth it to go by boat to hear a concert? Is it easy to get to by boat from the beach/intercoastal side? Anyone else going to Taste of St Pete?

Donzigo
05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
I have been to the taste of St Pete a couple of times. It's Ok, if you like to eat & eat & eat and like the throngs of people. The music is good just depends on who's playing that night.

To go by boat doesn't make much sense, if you want to get out of the boat. There is no place to get ashore and walk around. The seawall is pretty high and there are rocks and shallow water everywhere. It's about 45 minutes in the bay to get to the ocean side around by Passe Grill or The Don Caesar. I can't really see anyone leaving the concert to go so far out in the bay to get back to the ocean side.

If you are going to be around St. Pete, this weekend, be sure to go to Shell Island, during the day, where all the fun is. Look for a big red Z-33. That's us.

florida gator
05-24-2005, 09:29 PM
Won't be there this weekend. 6/4-6/11.

They have 38 special Sat night and Eddie Money Sunday. I could care less about the food or crowds. Just thought about anchoring nearby and listening to the music.

I will be at Shell quite a bit. Is the girl with the gas powered blender still selling drinks there?

May ride up to Shephards Sunday 6/5.

Any restarant recomendations? Only want to go by boat!

I have been to the taste of St Pete a couple of times. It's Ok, if you like to eat & eat & eat and like the throngs of people. The music is good just depends on who's playing that night.

To go by boat doesn't make much sense, if you want to get out of the boat. There is no place to get ashore and walk around. The seawall is pretty high and there are rocks and shallow water everywhere. It's about 45 minutes in the bay to get to the ocean side around by Passe Grill or The Don Caesar. I can't really see anyone leaving the concert to go so far out in the bay to get back to the ocean side.

If you are going to be around St. Pete, this weekend, be sure to go to Shell Island, during the day, where all the fun is. Look for a big red Z-33. That's us.

Cuda
05-24-2005, 10:10 PM
Frenchy's is a restaurant on the water in Clearwater. North of the bridge.

mneal
05-25-2005, 07:10 PM
I have been to a couple concerts by boat to the Vinoy. If you don't care about the food I think it is better by boat than the land. The drinks are free (sorta anyhow) and the sun get mighty hot on land. The sea wall is too high and you can't go ashore so you gotta make the chioce.

I have not seen the blender boat at Shell Key this year, there is a rumor that the FWC and SP Police hav made it a mission to cut down the drunkness and the water cops will much more frequent. Justa heads up.

florida gator
05-25-2005, 07:15 PM
Well I'm sure Sat 6/4, I will be at Shell at least for a little while. Somewhere along the line will also hit the Undertow and Gators for sure. Depending on the seas, Sheppards and anything that far north may have to waite for my next trip down from the north. I didn't like the area through the narrows. Seemed like it took forever so I will only go to Clearwater if I can run the outside.

Donzigo
05-25-2005, 10:14 PM
The Donzi blender boat (same model as Fishboy's) was at Shell Island last weekend. In fact, they made us a strawberry daquiri for my girlfriend. They don't charge; but, if you lay a few bucks down on the gunnel (or show your bobbies) as a contribution, it's not like selling, so it's cool. I didn't have those other things, so it cost me $3.

The Fish & Wildlife officers (Marine Patrol merged with them) were in fact giving tickets to those who didn't have one foot inthe water, with a drink in their hand. Shell Island is a state park and dogs & drinks aren't allowed. But, if you are in the water, you aren't on state property.

Richard

Fish boy
05-26-2005, 06:38 AM
Well I'm sure Sat 6/4, I will be at Shell at least for a little while. Somewhere along the line will also hit the Undertow and Gators for sure. Depending on the seas, Sheppards and anything that far north may have to waite for my next trip down from the north. I didn't like the area through the narrows. Seemed like it took forever so I will only go to Clearwater if I can run the outside.

HEy man, I am gonna miss ya again on the 4th. Going to the radical boat reunion in palatka that weekend. I heard the same thing about being on the island or water with beverages... Damn da man!!! Hopefully the following weekend if you are still coming down.

as for the vinoy at night, it ca be cool, but like donzigo said, it is really a long trip back to the gulf from the pier (landmark right by the vinoy) and you cant follow the shore necessarily to stay in the channel. I am not sure if the vinoy has slips they rent, but if they do, getting a room there might be an answer if they do have slip rental. just a thought.

fish

Cuda
05-26-2005, 07:08 AM
I agree with Fish, I lived there for over thirty years, and I wouldn't want to try to make it back around to the gulf from there at night. There is some very shallow water if you try to follow the shoreline. There is a marked channel, but there is zero room for error running it.

The Vinoy does rent slips. They even have room service at the boats, and bring you a paper in the morning. :)

florida gator
05-26-2005, 02:26 PM
Probably won't bother then. Plenty to due on the gulf side.

Counting the days, Shell Isle here I come!!

As for "The Fish & Wildlife officers (Marine Patrol merged with them) were in fact giving tickets to those who didn't have one foot inthe water, with a drink in their hand. Shell Island is a state park and dogs & drinks aren't allowed. But, if you are in the water, you aren't on state property."
I don't really want to challenge them but if anyone did, I believe the High water line would be where the park begins. That has been challenged by some good ol boys here and they won. They deer hunt on the Withlacochee by airboat. The deer on SWTMD land come down to the waters edge to drink and get shot. As long as we are not at flood stages it is deemed legal as the high water is sovereign land.

Again, I would rather not get any feathers ruffled by pushing the law with technicalities. That's just the direction I would go if I were to get caught.

Donzigo
05-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Gator..............dude, don't you worry your little head, the beer goes down easy at Shell Island, no matter where you stand. If you are one of those guys who just has to have a confrontation with the boys with badges, they'll ablige; but, we've met lots of those guys. They couldn't be more flexible. Not there to give a hard time, just making a paycheck and keeping things safe.

Richard

florida gator
05-27-2005, 08:05 AM
Gator..............dude, don't you worry your little head, the beer goes down easy at Shell Island, no matter where you stand. If you are one of those guys who just has to have a confrontation with the boys with badges, they'll ablige; but, we've met lots of those guys. They couldn't be more flexible. Not there to give a hard time, just making a paycheck and keeping things safe.

Richard

No, definately not. I usually take it litely and find something to make them smile about. That has helped ease any "tensions" in the past. I understand for the most part they have a job to do.