PDA

View Full Version : Removing BB 502 from 22' Classic

Indyblackhawk
05-24-2005, 07:54 PM
Just pulled the BH out of storage. Last season we blew the engine coupler and now need to pull the engine to replace. After I remove the exaust, what is the approx. weight of the engine? We have a 2 ton engine hoist, but when extended, the capacity obviously deminshes. If anyone has pulled an engine out of a 22 classic hull, with tires deflated how high did your hoist have to go to lift the engine high enough to clear the rear deck? Any helpful suggestions to make this smoother/easier? Thanks

gcarter
05-24-2005, 08:22 PM
Something I did with the Minx, because it has so much freeboard, was to REMOVE the rear wheels and jack up the trailer tongue till the rear crossmember is on the ground. I figure it was good for an additional 6" or so.

:wavey:

MOP
05-24-2005, 08:26 PM
I doubt if a hydraulic can lift high enough to get it out over the side even with no wheels, but why not lift it and rotate it and change the coupling in the boat then set it back down. I have changed a few couplings while hanging on the hoist.

Phil

Greg Maier
05-24-2005, 08:49 PM
You need to go to Harbor Freight and buy the 2 Ton Shop Crane:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=7620

It lifts 1000 lbs 117 inches in the air, which is just enough to clear the deck. Go ahead, ask me how I know this...

Indyblackhawk
05-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Where are the points to harness on the engine? We found an eye hook on the port side, rear of the valve cover by the electrical harness and one on the stbd side under a hose going to the thermostat housing, are these the correct places?

Greg Maier
05-26-2005, 04:25 AM
If I remember correctly, the lifting points on the 502 are on the port side near the steering pump and on the stbd side at the back of the valve cover.

Pismo
05-26-2005, 10:15 AM
MOP has it, you only need to lift the engine a few inches, spin is 90 degrees, change the coupling, spin it back and put it back in place. Do it all in the boat while the engine is hanging on the lift. Changing the coupler, once you have access, is easy, a few bolts. This will save you hours of un-needed work.

blackhawk
05-26-2005, 10:25 AM
I THINK a 502 weighs about 1200lbs. So, you are pushing it with the hoist extended out to 1/2 ton. When I pulled my motor out of my blackhawk I hooked the front eye to a chainfall in the garage rafters and the rear eye to the hoist set at 3/4 ton. Then two of us lifted it out at the same rate. I think with the wheels removed you could do it at 3/4 ton, just take measurements first. I like pulling the engine all the way out. Only takes a few extra minutes and it's a great time to clean the bilge and check everything over.

A friend of mine pulled his motor by calling a local wrecker service. They brought out a truck that lifted high enough to pull his motor and his boat sits higher than my blackhawck did. Just a thought.

Indyblackhawk
05-26-2005, 05:17 PM
Wow, we didnt realize it weighed that much. I think we will just trailer it over to my dads shop and use a hoist of the fork lift. Thanks again

MOP
05-26-2005, 05:58 PM
The 396/502ci engine is a big-block design and works best in large fat fender engine compartments and classic trucks. The engine’s design lends itself well as a top performance engine in racing configuration or as a high-power and torque-producing engine in street rod applications. The specifications are as follows: overall length, 30.5 inches; overall height, 30 inches; overall width, 23 inches; distributor, rear; fuel pump, right front; starter motor, right rear; oil pump, internal; sump, rear; weight, 625 pounds.

blackhawk
05-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Indyblackhawk, if you have access to a froklift use it!

Phil, are you saying a complete 502 only weighs 625 lbs?

MOP
05-26-2005, 10:01 PM
I don't think the marinizing adds very much to that figure, maybe a few lbs.! Most header are aluminum stock iron would add 75 to it, except for the sea pump what else extra is there. We are just talking the engine not drive package.

Phil

Pismo
05-27-2005, 07:16 AM
I believe the 1100-1200lb figure in he merc manual includes the drive and transom assem.

blackhawk
05-27-2005, 07:32 AM
Pismo, you are correct. 1200 lbs for the engine/transom/drive. I knew I heard that 1200 lbs somewhere. But, I don't think a drive and transom assy weighs 600 lbs. I'd say a 502 is at least 900lbs. I had mine out. It's heavy!!!