PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Sweet 16 in MI

boldts
05-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Anyone looking for an original Classic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4551461154&category=31270

Just Say N20
05-24-2005, 10:25 PM
As I entertain the possibility of a 16, I would like to hear from people who have spent time as a passenger in a 16 that had the 1+3 seating configuration. I imagine that if you were to use to boat solo, it would be fine (although not as much fun as sharing the excitement with a friend or two.):shocking:

An old friend of mine had one (about 1967), and the last time I rode in that was 1980, so it has been a while. Is it enjoyable for a passenger to ride along?

Anyone have any ideas as to what the thought originally was behind the 1+3 seating? I have never heard any explanation for it. I liked the 2+3 seating arrangement in the 18s I had.

mattyboy
05-25-2005, 08:39 PM
As I entertain the possibility of a 16, I would like to hear from people who have spent time as a passenger in a 16 that had the 1+3 seating configuration. I imagine that if you were to use to boat solo, it would be fine (although not as much fun as sharing the excitement with a friend or two.):shocking:

An old friend of mine had one (about 1967), and the last time I rode in that was 1980, so it has been a while. Is it enjoyable for a passenger to ride along?

Anyone have any ideas as to what the thought originally was behind the 1+3 seating? I have never heard any explanation for it. I liked the 2+3 seating arrangement in the 18s I had.

I suggest you read the model list here it has great insight into the history of the 16 and will answer many of your questions
the 16 in rough water can be very hard on passengers but in the right water or just floating the lounge seating can be very pleasureable for you and a guest of the fairer sex ;)

gold-n-rod
05-25-2005, 09:04 PM
"Don Aranow probably laid this boat up with his own hands."

Oh yeah. And it's prolly powered by Arsineo Furrarri. :bonk:

glashole
05-26-2005, 07:51 AM
is someone on the registry looking at this boat?

greatlakes
05-26-2005, 11:43 AM
Anyone looking for an original Classic?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4551461154&category=31270

Could someone give me a professional opinion of this boat without a pre-purchase survey; fair value based on the condition as stated in the ad.
How much is a new fuel tank? I am assuming there is no rot. Thanks.

Just Say N20
05-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Glashole,

Not sure what you are asking. Why do you ask? I am interested in this boat (I don't know why, but I have a thing for white hull/light blue striped Donzis), but have not road-tripped to check it out.

Replacing the fuel tank looks like a job for the not faint of heart, based on reading some of the pictoral journels on this site of people who have gone through the project. I'm in the middle of replacing the rotten wood in the transom of a Checkmate, and that's proving to be more challenging that I had hoped.

This boat looks like it has been neglected long enough that a thorough cleaning won't bring it back to it's pristine self. What is all over the engine?

But, I like the boat, so who knows.

glashole
05-26-2005, 02:26 PM
the only reason I ask is that it looks like it would be pretty cool to have in the garage and it seems cheap enough. (granted it would require a lot of work to be mint)

However, to answer your question,
I would think about bidding but wouldn't want to take it out from under someone who really wanted it that was on the registry :smile:

Shea

Just Say N20
05-26-2005, 03:04 PM
Glashole, I had decided before hand that I would be willing to pay up to about $5,500 for the boat. All things considered in my present situation, I could do that, sit on it for about 6 months, and then begin a restoration project in earnest.

I just looked at the site, and the bidding is already up to $6,201, with the reserve met. There will be others for me.:D

Bid away, and good luck.

mattyboy
05-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Could someone give me a professional opinion of this boat without a pre-purchase survey; fair value based on the condition as stated in the ad.
How much is a new fuel tank? I am assuming there is no rot. Thanks.

greatlakes I have hull number 410 20 hulls before this one and it looks to be the same setup so I bet there is now balsa core on this boat but solid glass with pvc pipes, the slotted donzi wheel, 2 vents horizontal dash layout
the tank goes for around 275-300 bucks plus shipping plus odds and ends another 150 or so my range would be 4-6 k but who knows

DON N.
05-27-2005, 08:33 PM
Matty, Wasn't The 1 + 3 Seating More For Observing Water Skier's ?

mattyboy
05-27-2005, 10:54 PM
only if her top came off :smileybo:

;)

Tony
05-29-2005, 12:37 PM
My wife loves the 1 + 3 seating in my '67 Ski Sporter. At higher speeds she sits front right, facing rearward, and the windshield keeps her relatively unwindblown. Cruising slower she sits right rear, legs up on the seat. It's a great setup for two or three people, four adults is a bit of a squeeze.

boldts
05-31-2005, 10:45 AM
I got the opportunity to ride in a 16 L seating setup with no windshield. I tried sitting on the left bench and nearly got thrown out the back of the boat when the throttle was nailed. That weenie bar is definately there for a reason! This particular 16 had a lot of bow lift as it got on plane putting a lot of strain on the arm muscles. At the owners suggestion, I moved to the left rear bench position and life was much better in my oppinion. The added back support on take off really made a difference for me.

This is coming from a person who owned an 18 where both front buckets could be swiveled to the rear of the boat. I've seen a few 18s that the seats did not turn rearward also. That does make watching a skier much more difficult and thus the L seating would be favored of the 16.

Just a matter of how the owner whats to use the boat. For someone on an inland lake and sking daily, the L seating is a great setup. For someone running hard in big water? Maybe not the best way to go in my oppinion for what-ever it's worth.

mattyboy
06-02-2005, 06:37 AM
boat sold on ebay for 8000 with a bad tank !!!!!!!! :yippie: