PDA

View Full Version : external steering

daboys
05-24-2005, 01:55 PM
I have been told by my marine mechanic that my current steering configuration can cause premature gimbal plate ware. This is due to the strbrd drive being attached to the steering system while the port drive is attached to the strbrd drive via a tie bar. The strbrd drive carries the stress and load of both drives. A couple of questions:
1. Will adding external steering prevent ware on the gimbal?
2. Is external steering the best fix?
3. What is a good external system and approx cost?

thriller
05-24-2005, 02:31 PM
Call Rick At Hilsinger MotorSports:biggrin:

http://www.hilsingermotorsports.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=38

Mike Miller

Mudball
05-24-2005, 04:43 PM
I have been told by my marine mechanic that my current steering configuration can cause premature gimbal plate ware. This is due to the strbrd drive being attached to the steering system while the port drive is attached to the strbrd drive via a tie bar. The strbrd drive carries the stress and load of both drives. A couple of questions:
1. Will adding external steering prevent ware on the gimbal?
2. Is external steering the best fix?
3. What is a good external system and approx cost?

YES, external steering will save your gimbal!
YES, the steering is the best fix, unless your gimbal(s) are worn out. You will need to fix that first, if so.

You will not believe the difference in boat handling once you install a system! I just installed one on my boat and it's like night and day! It's a whole new boat!

The best bang for the buck is XS Marine steering systems.

I would personally call Fred at Trick Marine. That's where I bought mine and he is a real pleasure to deal with. I was missing a few parts and he fixed me up. Brian at XS is known for leaving parts out of the kits!! That's the only problem. Two others recently installed kits and they weren't missing any parts.

Trick had a special running for a while. Don't know if he still is.
His website is www.trickmarine.net . Last I looked, the XS systems were not on the web yet. I would just give him a call.

Take care,
Kent

ITTLFLI
05-24-2005, 10:49 PM
I just installed an XS system on my boat. Definetly a first class system!

daboys
05-25-2005, 07:11 AM
First I have te get the Gimbal done :bawling: