PDA

View Full Version : Some important reading for all ages!

MOP
05-24-2005, 07:54 AM
- RECOGNIZING A STROKE -

A true story

Susie is recouping at an incredible pace for someone with a massive stroke all because Sherry saw Susie stumble - -that is the key that isn't mentioned below - and then she asked Susie the 3 questions. So simple - - this literally saved Susie's life - - Suzie failed all three so 911 was called. Even though she had normal blood pressure readings and did not appear to be a stroke victim as she could converse to some extent with the Paramedics ,they took her to the hospital right away. Thank God for the sense to remember the 3 steps!

Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke. Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

Ask the individual to SMILE.

Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

Ask the person to SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently) (i.e. It is sunny out today)

If he or she has trouble with any of these tasks, call 9-1-1 immediately and describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

After discovering that a group of non-medical volunteers could identify facial weakness, arm weakness and speech problems, researchers urged the general public to learn the three questions. They presented their conclusions at the American Stroke Association's annual meeting last February. Widespread use of this test could result in prompt diagnosis and treatment of the stroke and prevent brain damage.

A cardiologist says if everyone who gets this e-mail sends it to 10 people, you can bet that at least one life will be saved.

This was forwarded to me by a friends wife, he had just had a stroke at 37 years old!

Ed Donnelly
05-24-2005, 04:32 PM
Just had my three kids memorize it
I am 60 yrs old, so I am not taking any chances...........ED

Thanks Mop

BUIZILLA
05-24-2005, 04:49 PM
That's exactly what happened to me April 1, 2004, no April Fool's day that was...

If it wasn't for Dwight (Air22) who was on the phone with me at the time,and recognized the symptoms, talked to me while i'm driving to the hospital on my cell, I dare say the result would not have been pretty. I walked in the emergency room, and went face down on the floor, full TIA and mild heart attack.... walked out 6 days later.... took me a month to get my synchronization and normal speech back. Wonderful Doc's. Drove myself to AOTH 2004 for mental therapy Mid-May...

This morning at 10:00am, I collapsed again in the Doctor's office, I could NOT breathe normally. My throat collapsed. I rushed to another doctor's office... They brought me back to my senses 3 hours later. I can't believe i'm typing this.... I couldn't even write my name on the *consent to treat form* at 11am today...

I'm going home to rest, i'm tired, take Phil's advice.

JH

MOP
05-24-2005, 05:15 PM
I do hope tha Scot "Thumb Tacks" this post, you just never know when it may be the one thing that does save someone!

Phil

onesubdrvr
05-24-2005, 05:22 PM
That's exactly what happened to me April 1, 2004, no April Fool's day that was...

If it wasn't for Dwight (Air22) who was on the phone with me at the time,and recognized the symptoms, talked to me while i'm driving to the hospital on my cell, I dare say the result would not have been pretty. I walked in the emergency room, and went face down on the floor, full TIA and mild heart attack.... walked out 6 days later.... took me a month to get my synchronization and normal speech back. Wonderful Doc's. Drove myself to AOTH 2004 for mental therapy Mid-May...

This morning at 10:00am, I collapsed again in the Doctor's office, I could NOT breathe normally. My throat collapsed. I rushed to another doctor's office... They brought me back to my senses 3 hours later. I can't believe i'm typing this.... I couldn't even write my name on the *consent to treat form* at 11am today...

JH
Jim,

Am truely sorry to hear of you're woes today, I hope you feel better soon,..

Wayne

gold-n-rod
05-24-2005, 05:26 PM

JH

Jebus, Jim...... that's terrible. Can the docs tell you why the blockages keep occurring? Are you taking any blood thinners or clot inhibitors?

All the cool toys in the world only are cool when you are around to enjoy them.

Take care, man.

BUIZILLA
05-24-2005, 08:38 PM
not to hijack Phil's thread..

apparently when swimming at Elliott for a couple hours on Sunday, I got a HUGE load of seaweed in my shirt, (I remember that part) and something bit me all over the left side of my chest (I didn't feel that part at all), I am covered with nasty blisters and welts on my left chest side today. Fortunately, my shorts had liners... Something (poison) from the bites attacked my nervous system, and attempted to shut down the breathing system, including shutting my nostrils, and closing my throat by swelling internally. I couldn't even swallow water.. It took almost 2 days (incubation period) to hit me they said... not breathing is a scary deal... As soon as I stumbled into my primary Doc's office, they went into FAST action when they saw my condition.. I was injected immediately in the ass, with 3 shots of different drugs, and I started shaking violently in the chair, I shook to a lesser degree for about the next 1 1/2 hours, then leveled off.. this is an expected reaction to the anti-venom routine I am told. My nipples were both so painfully tomato red and hard, that they almost started to bleed from the poison, 2 Doc's and every nurse there have never seen this happen in a male... 3 hours later, I walked out and went to work for my things, then home for rest. Not sure right now what bit me, i'm a searchin' the web.. sea lice? spiders? water arachnids? I need to know this information now...

I am an honest man to tell you, I was scared this was it today.... that's the second time in a year I've seen angels.

JH

smokediver
05-24-2005, 08:58 PM
glad to see that you are up and about jim . You were in anaphylactic shock ! Not a good thing ... I hope that people here that do have certain allergies , make sure to put a epi-pen in there boating kit and make sure that it isn't out of date ... also inhalers for the people that suffer from asthma .It could be a matter of life or death ... Phil , that is great advise for possible CVA emergencies . And if one happens to witness a stroke , try and obtain medical info for that person to tell the medics when they arrive . Aggressive thrombolitic therapy can just about completely erase the effects of a stroke if the person meets the correct criteria for that therapy ....

JPR
05-25-2005, 12:21 AM
There are ocassions I'm concerned that I'm wasting time on this site. I usually am not, but this thread shows that I am definately not. I hope all is well for everyone. Forwarned is forearmed. Thanks

Magicallbill
05-25-2005, 03:20 AM
Buzilla,
We have never talked or posted,but since i've been on the site,I've enjoyed your posts.Your wit and insight make for good reading.
My best wishes for a total recovery&a good summer....

Magical Bill

BUIZILLA
05-25-2005, 07:27 AM
You were in anaphylactic shock ! Not a good thing ... That's the word's I was trying to remember what the Doc said happened....

How serious is this, if not caught as quick as I was able to?? I literally ran 3 red lights, and jumped a 4 lane median getting to the Doc's office as fast as I could drive. The Doc is 1 block from the hospital my daughter works at, so I was safe at least getting to one or the other. I think another 3-5 minutes delay would have been a BIG problem...

I just can't imgaine being out in the bay when this happened, and not having immediate medication rendered, and I go out a lot by myself. My wife really doesn't know how to run the boat that well... what med's should we carry onboard for this anomoly???

thanx, Jim

Tidbart
05-25-2005, 07:28 AM
Can you say, Nematocyst? Sounds like jellyfish stings. Maybe even a box jelly or man o'war. Not likely sea lice as they usually cause just rashes, but then again you may be highly susceptable to them.
Glad you're OK, Jim. Let us know what you find. :yes:

A little more on the box jelly:
The dreaded box jellyfish (Chironex fleckeri) of northern Australia and other waters such as in Florida, contains one of the most potent animal venoms known to man. A sting from one of these creatures can induce death in minutes from cessation of breathing, abnormal heart rhythms and profound low blood pressure (shock).

Bob

BUIZILLA
05-25-2005, 07:33 AM
I did discover thru web search today that the highest toxic time of the year is mid-May for sea lice, jellyfish, and sea anenome harvest. And there was a TON of floating weed in the bay this weekend. I didn't see any jellyfish at all, but I was caught in a ton of fast floatby weed a couple of times while moving the anchor by swimming it around. I have lived here over 50 years, and this was a first time event for me..

JH

Tidbart
05-25-2005, 07:49 AM
Nematacysts can be in the seaweed. Larvae from sea lice or jellies can attch themselves to the weeds or grasses and can be just as potent as their full grown parents

Epinephrine would help the symptoms, but wouldn't relieve the toxic effects. I think they make something called an Epi-pen?? I think it is for people who are highly allergic to things like bee stings and such.

Bob

Tidbart
05-25-2005, 07:54 AM
Vinegar helps in many ways also and is cheap.

http://www.marine-medic.com.au/pages/thesis/thesisBreakup/5_2.pdf

B

olredalert
05-25-2005, 08:14 AM
Jim,

--------WOW!!!!!.......Glad to hear you are OK. I got hit several years ago while at that "private" island that the cruise ships go to in the Bahamas by some sort of Jellyfish. I was so swollen up and in pain I couldnt put on a piece of clothing or a shoe I had. As bad as it was it doesnt sound as bad as what just hit you.
--------Please take care of yourself. Who would we go to for tuneing advice?????. And, no, the "ol RED alert" stuff doesnt come from what I looked like that day although it certainly could have, as I was feeling especially old and was a great shade of Ferrari red...........Bill S

MOP
05-25-2005, 08:46 AM
Jim you are full of surprises, I just re read the whole post. Please take care relax we don't want any more reports from one of our best "SOUTHERN BOYS"

Phil

P.S. Damn I wish a moderator would tack this post so it stays for all to read and ponder!

MOP
06-03-2005, 08:51 PM
TT

We are playing and working hard thought I would pop this one back up!

Lenny
06-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Buzz, "Anaphalatic Shock"

Been dead three times. I am allergic to peanuts, any nuts. Shortness of breath, funny taste (tastes like death), inability to breathe, then vomitting and then waking up 2-3 days later in a hospital. Lots of wild dreams, yes, there is a white light and an ability to go through ones every step of life in a matter of seconds in a dream state. Music to accompany it.

Wierd stuff.

Last time, I passed out on my folks front lawn, (sub-conscounciosly wanted to die close to my old home :rolleyes: ) and there was two Ambulances across the street (apparently) for an OD. The whole process takes about 3 minutes. One of them came over to the lawn and then it was "full on". Woke up two days later in the Emergency room with, well, lets just say, "stories" :eek: Wierd stuff happening when you are like this to be sure. Hasn't been the right time yet I suppose. Honestly, if I can't choose old age as the factor, I would rather choose something Ocean related. Dying due to "nut consumption" just doesn't seem too grand.

Take care. :yes:

Formula Jr
06-08-2005, 12:41 AM
Len we have more common turf than you might think. Yes, few people know this place. Its nice to be driven........to live...

Someone will write a ****ing song one day..........Tori Amos?
Till then, run ....Run....RUN...RUN!.....Run it out. Everyone should be running it out. Funny some people don't get this. And Don't know that is what Donzi Means.

Fish boy
06-08-2005, 06:10 AM
Saw it happen to my boss during a board meeting.

BTW, I have a friend who is 26yrs old, fit as a fiddle, about 145 lbs, very active, looks like he just got out of basic training. Had a stroke 1 month ago. If it can happen it him, it can happen to anyone.

Thanks for posting MOP

fish

mrtwelvevolts
03-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Man!!!! the ocean sucks....salt water tears up ur boat....what ever is in the water tears u up.....I can do with out that.....stick around fresh water...