PDA

View Full Version : Classic 18 - 1984 - Evaluating to buy - Help

Rob Pilo
05-23-2005, 07:25 PM
I am about to embark on my first Donzi purchase. I have access to buy a 1984 Classic 18 at a fair price. I have never owned a Donzi before but have admired them for the last few years. I need some sage advice, general or detailed about a 1984 Classic 18. It has original gelcoat (red and white), a redone interior from 2004 and a newer 1998 Mercruiser 350 Magnum (installed in 2000). The outdrive is original but has been removed and rebuilt with all new bellows and seals. There are no trim tabs and the trim and speedo guages don't work. I am going for a water test this Friday. What should I look for to make sure I'm getting a good boat etc...I would truly appreciate any words of wisdom/cautions/encouragements. I'm pumped to buy this Donzi and at the same time a total novice with these boats, so I'm afraid to get screwed due to my lack of experience. I don't even know if the 1984 was a good vintge etc... Help.
Thanks
Rob from Canada

onesubdrvr
05-23-2005, 07:47 PM
I am about to embark on my first Donzi purchase. I have access to buy a 1984 Classic 18 at a fair price. I have never owned a Donzi before but have admired them for the last few years. I need some sage advice, general or detailed about a 1984 Classic 18. It has original gelcoat (red and white), a redone interior from 2004 and a newer 1998 Mercruiser 350 Magnum (installed in 2000). The outdrive is original but has been removed and rebuilt with all new bellows and seals. There are no trim tabs and the trim and speedo guages don't work. I am going for a water test this Friday. What should I look for to make sure I'm getting a good boat etc...I would truly appreciate any words of wisdom/cautions/encouragements. I'm pumped to buy this Donzi and at the same time a total novice with these boats, so I'm afraid to get screwed due to my lack of experience. I don't even know if the 1984 was a good vintge etc... Help.
Thanks
Rob from Canada
Rob,

From personal experience, take the ride, see how it feels, if you really like, and it looks good to you, hire a boat surveyor, it'll be the best money you spend, and can save you a ton of $$ and heartache

Wayne

gcarter
05-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Yes, survey it.
Have him pay particular attention to the stringers in the area of the engine and under the cockpit just in front of the rear seat.

Homer
05-24-2005, 08:08 AM
Thanks
Rob from Canada

Hi Rob,

I am located in Toronto and went through a similiar situation 6 years ago. At the time my mom put me incharge of finding an 18 classic that she could give my father for his 60th b.d. I had been around boats my whole life in Muskoka but did not know anything about engines or what to look for when buying a used boat. I took a friend to look at the boat and we took some pictures, I then went back later for a water test and purchased the boat. We bought a 1987 red and white 18 classic for I believe around $17,000 canadian including the trailer. We took it to a marina right away as part of the deal with mom was that if we were to get the boat it had to be converted to below water exhaust. We had the marina check over the rest of the boat and they did a little minor work in the stern drive. We had a full boat cover made, a new rug and the back seat cushions redone. Also we cleaned it up with some rubbing compound and wax, made a big difference. We just had the boat out last friday and the water pump needs to be replaced, so not bad for 6 years of ownership, granted the boat sits in a boathouse on a lift and not run to hard. Sorry for being so long but just trying to show you what to expect from buying a used Donzi.

If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call,

416-816-1395

Dave

P.S. where are you taking it for a test drive, is it in the Toronto/Oakville area?

:canada:

Rob Pilo
05-24-2005, 09:45 PM
I live in Oakville but I ideally am going to test drive the boat in Muskoka this weekend. The owner doesn't want to put the boat in the water, he thinks he has a decent enough boat to sell from a dry inspection. It makes me leary. The guy seems honest enough but I will insist on a water test. I was also going to look into a marine surveyor to help. I have no idea how much the charge or who might be an appropriate person to do this. Do you know of any? Do you believe that the 1984 would be a good year? One note that I found on Donzi.net said the early/mid nineties are particularly good vintages. Did you come across this in your research? I may try calling you tomorrow. Does this number work for the day time as well?
Rob

Hi Rob,

I am located in Toronto and went through a similiar situation 6 years ago. At the time my mom put me incharge of finding an 18 classic that she could give my father for his 60th b.d. I had been around boats my whole life in Muskoka but did not know anything about engines or what to look for when buying a used boat. I took a friend to look at the boat and we took some pictures, I then went back later for a water test and purchased the boat. We bought a 1987 red and white 18 classic for I believe around $17,000 canadian including the trailer. We took it to a marina right away as part of the deal with mom was that if we were to get the boat it had to be converted to below water exhaust. We had the marina check over the rest of the boat and they did a little minor work in the stern drive. We had a full boat cover made, a new rug and the back seat cushions redone. Also we cleaned it up with some rubbing compound and wax, made a big difference. We just had the boat out last friday and the water pump needs to be replaced, so not bad for 6 years of ownership, granted the boat sits in a boathouse on a lift and not run to hard. Sorry for being so long but just trying to show you what to expect from buying a used Donzi.

If you have any questions please feel free to give me a call,

416-816-1395

Dave

P.S. where are you taking it for a test drive, is it in the Toronto/Oakville area?

Homer
05-25-2005, 07:46 AM
I live in Oakville but I ideally am going to test drive the boat in Muskoka this weekend. The owner doesn't want to put the boat in the water, he thinks he has a decent enough boat to sell from a dry inspection. It makes me leary. The guy seems honest enough but I will insist on a water test. I was also going to look into a marine surveyor to help. I have no idea how much the charge or who might be an appropriate person to do this. Do you know of any? Do you believe that the 1984 would be a good year? One note that I found on Donzi.net said the early/mid nineties are particularly good vintages. Did you come across this in your research? I may try calling you tomorrow. Does this number work for the day time as well?
Rob

Rob,

That is my cell. number and I have it with me most of the day, if I don't pick up just leave me a message and I will get back to you. OMC purchased Donzi I believe in 1988 and my opinion, right or wrong is that the boats where not built as well then. After OMC sold Donzi they started building better boats and putting Merc engines back in them. My parents cottage is on Lake Rousseau, where in Muskoka do you have to go, what is the guy's name that is trying to sell it. I good friend of mine's dad has an 84 or 86 red and white one, original owner and their boat is still running fine so unless the seller has trashed his boat or it sunk I would think it would be all right. Ask they guy why all the engine work was done, did he blow up the engine? Is the engine stock or modified? Modified engines can sometimes lead to more troubles and not as much reliability. How much is he asking for the boat? I found that people in Muskoka try to put premiums on these boats. If things don't work out try in the states, like Michigan or New York, another friend of mine bought a used 22 classic in Michigan, around a 2000, and went down and picked it up and dragged it home but he saved a bunch of money, and I believe he is very happy with it. Marine surveyor would depend in what area you are in, you could try calling Gordon Bay Marinia or Hot Knots if that is still the name. Pride of Muskoka maybe too.

Hope that helps,

Dave