PDA

View Full Version : 1971 21FT Donzi issues

YoAnthony
05-23-2005, 06:39 PM
I am looking at a 1971 Donzi 2x3 with a 351 ford motor and volvo penta outdrive. Interior is in bad shape. Deck has been repainted in the past but is in bad shape. Trailer is also questionable. I am capable of fixing all of the problems just noted but want to know about any hidden problems to look for like fuel tank, transom rot, hull issues, blistering, deck core problems, etc. Also what price do these boats bring? Thanks!

YoAnthony
05-24-2005, 05:37 AM
I do not have the hull number but it looks like this:
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39364

Does anyone know of a source for seats?
Thanks!

olredalert
05-24-2005, 08:43 AM
--------That is a 21GT with a modified (cut down) windshield. The interior guys to go to are Bilt-Rite or Built-Rite. Do a search on this site and you should be able to find them easily. They are one of our preferred vendors.............Bill S

YoAnthony
05-27-2005, 04:36 PM
You listed the problems to be aware of....

21' 2 & 3?? GT21 Or a Hornet?? Got a hull #???

Hull number C2151 Does this mean anything?
Thanks, from a proud new Donzi owner!!!

Lenny
05-27-2005, 06:43 PM
You have yourself a GT21. Hull number 51. Mine was #72. Here are a couple of other shots of one for sale for a lot more money. Totally original.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8906

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8905

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8907

YoAnthony
05-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks Lenny. You said "was", did you sell it?
You have yourself a GT21. Hull number 51. Mine was #72. Here are a couple of other shots of one for sale for a lot more money. Totally original.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8906

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8905

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8907

YoAnthony
05-28-2005, 08:51 AM
Here are some pics of the new vessel.

Lenny
05-28-2005, 09:05 AM
Yes, I sold it. :(

That looks real nice. :yes: nice find

olredalert
05-28-2005, 02:05 PM
YoAnthony,

-------Looks like you could have yourself a winner there. Cant recall ever seeing a green GT21. Pretty cool. I can tell you that the interior has been done at least once already. I can see pressed pleats in the inserts and Bilt-Rite (the original manufacturer) never used a stamped or pressed pleat on a DONZI in all the years they did the interiors. Pressed pleat seats are much less expensive to manufactuer than stitched pleats, but not near as rich looking. Also, I dont believe the rear cushion was a wrap around as it is in yours now. Really no big deal as Bilt-Rite can do you a perfect interior if you so desire and other trim shops can probably do a nice replacement as well.
-------The Holman-Moody/Volvo combo in this usage is a bit underwhelming. you have a relatively heavy package there. Back in the day it was a great cruising package and relatively trouble free. Nowdays you would find yourself running hard to keep up with most of us on the way to the next watering-hole. If the Volvo drive is in good shape and you dont want to strangle your wallet you could go for a nice stroker 347 Ford package. Almost everything will transfer over from the engine you have. If its already a 351 you could go quite a bit bigger than that and if you dont punish the drive too much it will give you good service.
-------Your windshield looks to have been cut down from its original height as well. I guess thats not a bad thing as those GT21 windshields in thier original form were a bit weak across the top. Shortening up the whole thing tends to add some strength.
-------All in all, it looks as though you have your work cut out for you. Keep us here on the board in the loop as we will be interested in your progress, and its probable that we will be able to give you both a verbal and physical hand when needed. you will end up with a great boat............Bill S

Zudnic
05-28-2005, 03:49 PM
Yes, I sold it. :(

That looks real nice. :yes: nice find

How much more did you get, please? If you wanna sell your 18 that you just posted the pics (Daughter ride) I want first crack!! Sorry I missed your GT21, if it was not much more than the ad example link given above, (10K), would have paid cash on the spot. She was in my backyard and is gone! :banghead:

That is a real nice find, just started looking, hope I can near the same!

Lenny
05-28-2005, 07:19 PM
Zudnic, that GT21 is available for 15-ish K in Northern California. That is your backyard when it comes to these things :D

I don't want to sell my X. There are too few of 'em and this one seems ok-ish.

I will remember you tho if I change my mind. Certainly won't be in the next four months. I want to get a 22, 502. late 90's. That is my next plan when things are in better order.

Zudnic
05-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Zudnic, that GT21 is available for 15-ish K in Northern California. That is your backyard when it comes to these things :D

I will remember you tho if I change my mind. Certainly won't be in the next four months. I want to get a 22, 502. late 90's. That is my next plan when things are in better order.

Everything seems to be in Northern Cali, the Cig 20 (Chico) was sold when contacted the seller. :frown: I'm headed to Cali very soon (not firm on dates), I'll check her out, cause I'm driving.

I like how you did the interior on the GT. In Donzi's I like the older models over the newer. I'm setting my budget at 12K, maybe 14K max if its real nice. An X for around 7K would be ideal, spend extra cash on redoing things over winter.

My plan for things in better order is bigger boat, like a mid eighties Cig. Cafe Racer 35, like this one:

http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-3590.html

YoAnthony
05-31-2005, 06:19 PM
YoAnthony,

-------Looks like you could have yourself a winner there. Cant recall ever seeing a green GT21. Pretty cool. I can tell you that the interior has been done at least once already. I can see pressed pleats in the inserts and Bilt-Rite (the original manufacturer) never used a stamped or pressed pleat on a DONZI in all the years they did the interiors. Pressed pleat seats are much less expensive to manufactuer than stitched pleats, but not near as rich looking. Also, I dont believe the rear cushion was a wrap around as it is in yours now. Really no big deal as Bilt-Rite can do you a perfect interior if you so desire and other trim shops can probably do a nice replacement as well.
-------The Holman-Moody/Volvo combo in this usage is a bit underwhelming. you have a relatively heavy package there. Back in the day it was a great cruising package and relatively trouble free. Nowdays you would find yourself running hard to keep up with most of us on the way to the next watering-hole. If the Volvo drive is in good shape and you dont want to strangle your wallet you could go for a nice stroker 347 Ford package. Almost everything will transfer over from the engine you have. If its already a 351 you could go quite a bit bigger than that and if you dont punish the drive too much it will give you good service.
-------Your windshield looks to have been cut down from its original height as well. I guess thats not a bad thing as those GT21 windshields in thier original form were a bit weak across the top. Shortening up the whole thing tends to add some strength.
-------All in all, it looks as though you have your work cut out for you. Keep us here on the board in the loop as we will be interested in your progress, and its probable that we will be able to give you both a verbal and physical hand when needed. you will end up with a great boat............Bill S

Bill,
Thanks for the comments and information. I intend to repaint the deck and replace the interior. I will source it from bilt rite.
I need to get the trailer going this weekend. I will also will buy a battery and see if the motor cranks. Thanks for the encouragement!
Anthony

boldts
06-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Lenny, your killing me here man. 15 for a prestine 21GT is awsume. Even if it needs a trailer put under her. Most 22 Classics start in that price range. The nice thing about the GT is the hull depth especially for use on the great lakes. I wanted the red GT from MI that went South to FL. Just couldn't turn down a blue & white 22 at the time. And then there is the blue and white 21GT with twins! That was the GT to have if for nothing else, no one else would ever have a Donzi like that one. Sure would like to know how it's new owner is doing with the boat. Love to see it at AOTH some year.

Yo, congrats on the great find. Love to see older Donzis being restored and put back into use.

TuxedoPk
06-01-2005, 01:17 PM
That twin GT was sweet... it would have been fun to compare it's ride to my V-drive GT.

Scott- I heard he's holding out on AOTH until you put in on the T-shirt :biggrin: