PDA

View Full Version : Waterports - Does anyone Ski anymore?

EricG
05-23-2005, 04:22 PM
I'm curious what, if anything, everyone does as far as watersports?

I have been skiing as long as I can remember, and although I own a wakeboard, given the option, I'm on 1 ski. The funny thing is, when I started skiing about 20 years ago, I was always the youngest, now here I am 31 years old, and I'm still the youngest skiier. Is skiing on it's way out, to be completely replaced by Wakeboarding?

One more thing, last year we counted 43 "tournament" boats on our lake, and our Master Craft is one of 3 left that does not have a tower...guess which 3 boats are always on the lake at 6:30 AM every weekend :rolleyes:

I have never tried skiing with the 18, but I did pull my older brother with the Z once...once.

EG
-right foot forward

McGary911
05-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Last time I was up (about 3 years ago), it was on a slalom ski. I've never been on 2 skis in fact. I dont think the Crit' would make the best ski boat in the world.

We had the first AirChair prototype back in '89 or so. A good friend owns a big waterski pro shop, and the developer sent it to him to have some of the locals see what they thought. Although still not common, back then NO ONE had ever seen one. Man, did we get some crazy looks that day.:rlol:

Come to think of it, I don't think I know anyone that still has a boat suitable for skiing :confused:

Ed Donnelly
05-23-2005, 09:07 PM
I used my sweet 16 and my buddies sweet 16 O.B. for years and years.
At 60 yrs old I get up for around 5 min.once a year now
Water ski prices are killing the sport. Just priced a wood Maherajah 2 high bindings and good wood $1,500 U.S. Thats over $2,000 Canadian....Ed

gcarter
05-23-2005, 09:42 PM
No!!!!!

Uncle Fester
05-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Watersports.........hmmmmm.

OK, we're game. Gotta get drunk first though :puke:

txtaz
05-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Were is the barefoot option? :rlol:

Wes

goatee
05-24-2005, 01:08 AM
i used to ski alot. last time i did was a few years ago.
i would like to try and wakeboard.

Surfer
05-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Due to kids, we wakeboard more than ski, but also due to kids, we will try to pull just about anything. We went to a wakeboard competition last weekend, and saw a guy doing stunts on an airchair. First time I've seen one, and it looked awsome. Has anyone done one, how hard is it?

Formula Jr
05-24-2005, 12:25 PM
Great Eric.
Now you have made me feel really old!
Ski to wakeboarding......Steak to oatmeal.....:shades:

wytmike
05-24-2005, 12:49 PM
I still ski, but not seeing as many skiers anymore. Part of the problem is that the water is getting chewed up so much these days by the wakeboarders. Tosssing a couple hundred gallons of water in the back of the boat and creating the monster wake to do tricks on creates havoc on thhe water while trying to slalom.

Up at Tahoe if you're not skiing by 8 a.m. on the weekend forget about it. The cross chop gets brutal.

That being said, the best purchase I ever made was an air chair. The most fun I have had behind a boat!!

Mike

JPR
05-26-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm probably a bit of an anomoly, I ski everyday whenever I get up to my families summer place, on the ocean in the evening. My nieces and nephews were into the wakeboarding thing, but now they are in there late teens and early 20's they are coming back to skiing. My kids are too young right now, but they won't know that wakeboards exist until I've got them hooked on skiing!:yes:

Zudnic
05-27-2005, 04:36 PM
Were is the barefoot option? :rlol:

Wes

My oldest friend (since pre-school) got into water skiing due to my family. His Dad ended up buying a Mastercraft. In the early ninety's my friend was a semi-pro barefooter. You would think I would have tried it, never did, over 30, so not an option, wish looking back that I did. :banghead:

I'll ski at least once or twice a season. Columbia River is pretty much smooth as glass 24/7, so it begs you to ski!