PDA

View Full Version : Pulled it all into one post!

MOP
05-22-2005, 09:55 PM
I pulled the other posts, I found the cause of the noise that was driving nuts. About the only thing that was not listened to was the aft mounts, a bud said they can make noise. The stbd rear mount is the culprit, I screwed the bolt up part way intake hose needs to be pulled to remove bolt. I fiddled with the hardware all seems fine, could not find the actual cause but it will knock you ear off with the stethoscope. Well feeling pretty good about finding that my kid and I slipped the on drive on drained and refilled it installed the props, checked the shift and got it wet, it sits about 1" inch lower with the weight moved aft. Well the vent tube thing is a bust it needs an overboard dump it could sink the boat in 5 minutes if left in reverse, I had lead a hose from one Y pipe up to gunnel height then looped it back down to the chine area. Will see if a flapper can be put in or cap it off like the other side and see if it will plane OK. With the Alpha the boat came up nice the BH is a bit slow but acceptable, I do not have any tabs mounted yet. With the B3 wheels there are no shifting like the BH wheels even with the idle set a 700 out of gear, in gear at idle it does 6.2 MPH. Out on the bay it had some intermittent popping through the carb but ran OK, was running on last years gas. Ran it up to 3,500 tried the trim a little has -0- effect as anticipated and does ride very flat, will work on getting running better rack a few hours then decide whether or not to stay with the BH, I have a hunch a Bravo will be hanging out back sure will miss the great Rooster tail! Well now lets see if I can De Bug it for the 1K run!

Phil

Cuda
05-22-2005, 11:28 PM
Sounds good Phil. :)

Rootsy
05-23-2005, 06:17 AM
PHil,

thought on your motor mounts.... did you install the springs in the inner transom plate motor mounts before lowering the engine down on the rear mounts??? there are as i am sure you know, 2 fiber washers and a spring sandwiched in there...

JR

MOP
05-23-2005, 08:42 AM
PHil,

thought on your motor mounts.... did you install the springs in the inner transom plate motor mounts before lowering the engine down on the rear mounts??? there are as i am sure you know, 2 fiber washers and a spring sandwiched in there...

JR

Jamie the transom shield is new it had the fiber washers glued in place they stayed I can feel that with my fingers, there is only one fiber washer per side. What looks like a spring is a double layer lock washer according to the manual, why they call it a lock and not a spring I am not sure. The springs/locks were set in a gob of grease, I believe they stayed in place or would have ended up in the bilge. They both feel like they are the same height so the noise remains a mystery until I lift the back end which I will do when I pull the drive. Everything looks and feels OK and the alignment is spot on the drive slipped in real easy. That's the least of my worries, as you know I was trying to get a better "cruise" without going to high HP, but you can't cheat the system. I don not think the BH will work without rocker plates, raked props and pumping up the HP, it will not pick the nose up I can't dump that kind of $$ to see if it will work. If I want to scavenge the summer I need to slap a Bravo on and lick my wounds and go forward, the 383 does not make much more HP then the Tempest with the mild cam that is in it now. Putting a Bravo on will put me back about the same as I was before, at least the boat is fixed, the engine and drive should make for a good reliable package. Maybe I will end up changing out the cam will have to see how it runs in step #2. Still will just be shooting for a faster cruise!

Phil

Woodsy
05-23-2005, 02:17 PM
Phil...

Before you can the BH.... Just a quick reminder of what I told you before...

Your running a little light in the rear weight wise with the SBC setup you have. What you will need to do is add some weight near to the transom as possible to get the nose up a little. Start with about 200lbs and go up from there. The BH ith the B3 wheels will give you a little trim, but certainly not enough at 3500 rpm.

Woodsy Von Outboard

gold-n-rod
05-23-2005, 03:22 PM
Phil...

Before you can the BH.... Just a quick reminder of what I told you before...

Your running a little light in the rear weight wise with the SBC setup you have. What you will need to do is add some weight near to the transom as possible to get the nose up a little. Start with about 200lbs and go up from there. The BH ith the B3 wheels will give you a little trim, but certainly not enough at 3500 rpm.

Woodsy Von Outboard

Hmmmm, I thought more weight was the enemy of speed. Will more weight aft truely cause the BH to do its job and push the boat faster??

Phil, it sounds like you need to pick up a fat chick with that boat (and maybe two!!!) :eek:

MOP
05-23-2005, 08:46 PM
Dave after today I am re thinking it, my curiosity got the best of me after talking with one of my old buds he thought I had the timing to high. So I dropped the timing to 7 to see if it what would happen, pulled the plugs color was good so I dunked it again to see if there was any change . All stayed the same maybe a little less spitting back, I decided to run it up once to see what WOT was. Yesterday I went up slow to 3500, today my ear was tuned for any possible pinging heard none. Did on short burst to WOT it was 3650 this mouse motor is way over wheeled and I think my buddy is right on to much advance considering the load from the 28's. I would like to try a set of 24's, I think they would allow it to get into its operating range, I know with 24's it would come on plane very well. I called around locally to see if anyone had a set to borrow not even a dinged up set locally! I have a feeling that my hunch of mid to upper 60's may come with the lesser pitch.
As far as weight I still have not installed the second battery or the pre oiler setup, that will put close to 100lbs aft. Need to find a set of wheels to try before I give it up on it!

Phil

Woodsy
05-24-2005, 07:13 AM
Randy...

More weight aft will help the BH lift the nose..... that will result in less wetted surface, increasing speed.....

Phil... Verify your tach is reading accurately. just to make sure you don't have a bum tach before you get another set of wheels....

Woodsy Von Outboard