PDA

View Full Version : Classic 16 Sea Trials

dfunde01
05-22-2005, 03:58 PM
Got in two hours of seat time in the new 05 Classic 16 today on Lake Hartwell, SC. It was a little windy so we had a light chop and some light swells in the bigger water. The 16 is equipped with a 4.3efi with a 21P VENGEANCE prop. Here is what I found, and yes, I also suspect that I have either a tach or speedo error:

2500 rpm speedo 40 mph minor porposing
3000 rpm hull solidly planted on plane speedo 45 mph
3500 rpm stable and solid speedo 50 mph

Topped off tank and ran for 1.9 hours. Fuel gauge still pegged on Full. When I got the boat the needle was pegged on Empty and went to full after I hit the first few waves. What a great boat. Runs 50mph at 3500 rpm and doesn't use any gas.:cool!:

Seriously, reading this forum has helped at lot in learning the 16. She porpoises up to 2800 RPM and then settles down nicely. It reminds me of trying to use a motocross bike for trail riding. You have to keep the throttle cranked or the bike isn't stable. This 16 doesn't like loafing along under 2800. She likes to run. Another 7 hours to go on the 75% throttle limit break in period. I should get some WOT runs in next Sunday if the lake cooperates.

Dave

Lenny
05-22-2005, 04:12 PM
It reminds me of trying to use a motocross bike for trail riding

funny, I have an RM outside that I use for just the same thing on my property. I know what you mean, bogging going uphill, then WHAAAAMMMMM!!!! out of control. That is my favorite part :D