PDA

View Full Version : Prop Recommendations?

Scorpion
05-22-2005, 02:35 PM
Any recommendations about props that might deliver more speed? Both of the Mirage Plus props hold well from idle to WOT.

Boat details: 2003 Donzi 18 Classic, 377 Scorpion (350 HP), Bravo One, 8" drive extension, blueprinted bottom.

Prop / boat speed (GPS) / engine speed / drive trim (0-8): Mirage Plus, 3- blade, 25P / 70-72 mph / 4900 rpm / 8+; Mirage Plus, 3- blade, 23P / 71.5-72 mph / 5400 rpm / 8-.

Magicallbill
05-22-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey,
I have a '02 Scorp,there were 2 others made for a total of 3 in .02.
We are a select group,I've heard they have or will discontinue the 377 Scorpion engine.
Did you buy yours new?I have the BravoXZ drive,which they have stopped making I think. I've had 3 of them on my rig due to fluid leakage because of casting problems.(My current drive seems to be fine.)
Other than the drive trouble, my boat is a pure gas to have&run.I experience some high speed-dancing because of the extra weight aft.
I have the mirage 25P..came standard with the package.My top is 74-75 on the speedo,I do not own a GPS.
I have not experimented with porp selection,my rig is too fast for me the way it is. People like Rootsy,MOP,ETC. are experienced hi-speed drivers and mechanics.They would know much more than me about that stuff'
Sorry to ramble on and not answer your question,but there are very few Scorpions around. I like to keep track.
Have a good summer,

Magical Bill

Scorpion
05-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Hey,
I have a '02 Scorp,there were 2 others made for a total of 3 in .02.
We are a select group,I've heard they have or will discontinue the 377 Scorpion engine.
Did you buy yours new?I have the BravoXZ drive,which they have stopped making I think. I've had 3 of them on my rig due to fluid leakage because of casting problems.(My current drive seems to be fine.)
Other than the drive trouble, my boat is a pure gas to have&run.I experience some high speed-dancing because of the extra weight aft.
I have the mirage 25P..came standard with the package.My top is 74-75 on the speedo,I do not own a GPS.
I have not experimented with porp selection,my rig is too fast for me the way it is. People like Rootsy,MOP,ETC. are experienced hi-speed drivers and mechanics.They would know much more than me about that stuff'
Sorry to ramble on and not answer your question,but there are very few Scorpions around. I like to keep track.
Have a good summer,

Magical Bill

Magical Bill,

I bought my '03 new and spent 2 summers trying to get it just right (blueprinting, drive, props). My boat also came with a Mirage 25P. I replaced the liquid filled Monster with a GPS Monster. Note that the liquid filled Monster read high...

I agree that the boat is a handful at 70 mph, but I will never put the tabs down...

Thanks for your response.

joseph m. hahnl
05-22-2005, 04:06 PM
(blueprinting, drive, props).
exactly what due you mean by blue printing?
you went thru all of the tolerences and made sure they met the factory specs

Scorpion
05-22-2005, 04:30 PM
Hi Joseph,

I use the term blueprinting casually. I had an ace fiberglass / gelcoat person make the bottom "flat," removing the 1/4" (max) hook.

joseph m. hahnl
05-23-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi Joseph,

I use the term blueprinting casually. I had an ace fiberglass / gelcoat person make the bottom "flat," removing the 1/4" (max) hook.

so your talking about the hull> how did that work? did you gain any MPH?

Scorpion
05-23-2005, 09:38 PM
so your talking about the hull> how did that work? did you gain any MPH?

"FLat," meaning removing the bow-to-stern hook in the hull (some amount of hook always exists when a hull is removed from the mold). I did not gain speed, but it did improve high speed handling. I now suspect that the only way to reduce the high speed chine walking is with a shorter drive -- The deep tail (drive) is wagging the dog (boat)!

Magicallbill
05-24-2005, 02:05 AM
Scorpion,
I am in a kind of unique situation being a rare Scorpion owner,and my son Jason owns an 18 w/a350 MAG that has an Alpha.
Identical hulls,different power.His boat flies straight as an arrow at 67-68MPH on my speedo.(It very well may be reading high like yours did.)
Anyway at that point&faster into the 70's mine does the Macarena;it'll barely stay in the water.
The only difference in the boats is the engine&drives. The folks here told me that the 377 weighs no more than a 350,but I have a Bravo drive&Dual batteries that make up more weight.
They both spin 3-blade mirages,his a 23 I believe,mine a 25.
Whatever the items are that are heavier in my rig,it is noticeable,as she sits lower in the stern than Jason's18.
The handling differences at high speed on these 2 boats are very apparent,and the only difference is weight,and maybe the areodynamics of the Bravo vs.the Alpha.
Just some stuff to throw in the general pot of interesting information.
MB