PDA

View Full Version : St John's River get together?

Cuda
05-21-2005, 05:16 PM
Now that it looks like I might soon actually have my Minx back, I was wondering if there was interest in a gathering on the St John's River. I did a little scouting this week. We were in Sanford working, so I went to the waterfront to see what was there. There is a restuarant/lounge on the water there called Wolfy's. They have their own docks, good ones too.

Just spitballing here, but I was thinking about meeting at the Hwy 44 bridge in Deland, running south to Lake Monroe for lunch at Wolfy's. It's probably about a 25 mile run from here. There is a 30 mph speed restriction on the river, but I don't think it's rigidly enforced, other than around marinas, etc. I'm pretty sure there is no speed limit in Lake Monroe itself. I was thinking of a Saturday in June. If people want to stay for a Sunday run, we can head north from Deland to Astor, then into Lake George to Silver Glen. It's probably around a 25 to 30 mile run to Silver Glen from here. As in Lake Monroe, there is no speed limit on Lake George.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Cuda
05-21-2005, 05:21 PM
Taken at Wolfy's in Sanford.

Cuda
05-21-2005, 05:22 PM
The public ramp located just across the parking lot.

Cuda
05-21-2005, 05:24 PM
There is also a motel located right beside Wolfy's. The prices are $69 a night for pool side, and $79 per night for lakeside. They said groups of five or more rooms get a ten dollar a night discount.

Cuda
05-21-2005, 05:25 PM
Looking back at Wolfy's.

Cuda
05-21-2005, 05:30 PM
For those interested in running Silver Glen, here's some shots of a run up there last year.

Cuda
05-21-2005, 05:31 PM
Entering Lake George.

Cuda
05-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Silver Glen.

onesubdrvr
05-21-2005, 05:35 PM
Depending on wether or not the Rag is back, we'd probably come up - about a 2 1/2 hour drive from here, day run only most likely,...

Wayne

EricG
05-21-2005, 06:11 PM
There is also a motel located right beside Wolfy's. The prices are $69 a night for pool side, and $79 per night for lakeside. They said groups of five or more rooms get a ten dollar a night discount.

There was a gathering at that hotel in 2001 I believe, based on that fact, Kath and I stayed there a couple of nights when we were down for the July Daytona race in 2002. Back then it was a Best Western....it was OK, not great, but the price was right. The marina was pretty nice though.

One thing about it - I wouldn't recommend using the pool - this is what we found when we tried :-)

EG

Cuda
05-21-2005, 06:21 PM
Scott, where did you run to or from then? Do you have a link to the thread?

florida gator
05-22-2005, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't mind a run on the St Johns. Silver Glenn is nice. So is Salt Run, just north of the Glenn. No restrictions on alcohol possession there!

rustnrot
05-22-2005, 12:49 PM
Thanks for posting those pics, Poodle. Those are the best pics I have seen yet of a Corsican in it's native habitat. *Wanting to see one in person someday*.

ChromeGorilla
05-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Hey Cuder...... I just got back form Silver Glen Springs 5 minutes ago....friggin awesome. We stayed in Palatka and went to the Glen both days. If you don't have a spot by 10:30 am forget it. Glad we were there a 9:30 each day. We had a lot of fun. I would definately be down for some St. Johns cruising/ glen action. We would probably stay in Astor somewhere. If we can't hash out a date in June pretty much any weekend in July or August works for me. SEADOGs event in the making...... :crossfing

florida gator
05-22-2005, 07:55 PM
I can't do it 6/4-6/11. Be in St Pete then!!

Last Tango
05-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Okay, so the discussion has ranged from Silver Glenn Springs to Lake Monroe. Basically the Central part of the St. Johns, and the Southern portion of the St. Johns. We are talking a LOT of river here (59.8 miles to be precise). We can always do a section another time since most of us live here and use this major waterway. I personally believe that starting in Sanford and attempting to go to the Glenn is way too long a shot for those not intending to take their overnight bags with them and stay in the Glen or at a motel along the way.
Back in 2001 we stayed in Sanford at the motel (nee Best Western) and cruised north to Whitehair Bridge (SR46). THAT alone took a couple hours because much of that is idle speed and AGGRESSIVELY enforced as you can see from the pictures that 'Poodle posted. We have stayed in Astor and gone South to 44. We have stayed in Georgetown and done Lake George, Silver Glenn Springs, and north to Palatka. We have stayed in Palatka and gone north to Downtown Jax and South to Lake George and the Glen. And we have stayed in Jax and done the river south to Palatka and north to the Dames Point Bridge and beyond.
So, Cuda, I suggest if it is to be a day run, you pick one section or the other. Decide whether we are starting from the middle or the end, pick a motel for the trailerites, and pick a day for everyone to throw darts at.
Go for it,Cuda!

ChromeGorilla
05-23-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah, me and no wake zones don't get along......or 30 MPH limits....I can't even stay on plane.... I wouldn't mind staying in Astor and doing the Glen...I'm pretty open....

florida gator
05-23-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm pretty open from the middle of the month on!!

Cuda
05-23-2005, 07:34 PM
Mark, I agree that Sanford to Silver Glen is too far. That's why I was thinking from Deland to Sanford one day, and those that want to do the next day, we can run from Deland to Silver Glen. Deland is about dead center I think.

ChromeGorilla
05-23-2005, 08:08 PM
I don't care what we do..... I'm down home boy.... :biggrin:

Cuda
05-23-2005, 08:28 PM
One of the reasons I figured on running towards Sanford from Deland is that in the off chance someone has trouble, there are more places to obtain help, or get to another ramp in that direction. North from Deland, there isn't anyplace for help for 17 miles until you reach Astor.

Uncle Fester
05-23-2005, 09:57 PM
Damn, 17 miles??? Here's where we're hooking up (snow may be gone in June though). kiiding.....gonna get to 90 this week???

Lake is 60 miles long and there is absolutely nothing from mile 25 to 60. Limited services (gas and an ice cream cone) at the end of the lake (oh, and one pay phone.....obviously no cell service).

You boys in FL got her made (just don't want your gas bills)

ChromeGorilla
05-23-2005, 10:00 PM
Gas bills?????? I just filled boat back up today........ $1.91 for regular here localy.... this weekend I saw 93 octance for 2.69/gallon on water. I think thats pretty good for on water high test, no?

Cuda
05-23-2005, 10:05 PM
I wish I had a gigantic gas bill this summer.

Cuda
05-26-2005, 03:09 PM
I'm leaning towards June 25th and 26th. We are doing the Jacksonville Poker Run on the 11th and 12th. The next week we have Deb's son.

Cuda
05-26-2005, 03:10 PM
I have two empty rooms here at my house people can stay if they like, and plenty of room to park.

ChromeGorilla
05-26-2005, 03:43 PM
25th 26th is ok with me, I'll be back from Lake George NY by then....

Cuda
05-27-2005, 01:25 PM
How about the rest of you central Florida boys? Tidbart, Phil, J O'Keefe, Speedracer, Clayman. Who else have I left out in the immediate area?

florida gator
05-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Will check the calender when I get back to Florida!

gcarter
05-28-2005, 12:36 PM
How about the rest of you central Florida boys? Tidbart, Phil, J O'Keefe, Speedracer, Clayman. Who else have I left out in the immediate area?
Duhhhhh.....I think I still live here.....

Cuda
05-28-2005, 04:32 PM
Yep George, you're name came up first when Deb read that last post. :)

pmreed
05-28-2005, 04:37 PM
I'll be in Italy the last half of June.

Phil

Cuda
05-28-2005, 04:40 PM
Btw, scratch the idea of running north from Deland. Of the first hour, fifty minutes of it was idle zone. :( I mean it's a beautiful ride, but much more suited to a pontoon boat with lots of shade. :)

Cuda
05-28-2005, 06:36 PM
We are running south to Astor and Silver Glen tomorrow. I've made that trip once in the fishboat. As I recall, there isn't an idle zone between here and Astor. It depends on who goes with us tomorrow. My buddy is supposed to bring two chicks (I gotta see that to believe it), if they come, we will probably take the Formula for more room.

gcarter
05-28-2005, 08:30 PM
Don't forget the Staples Brothers (is that a rock band? LOL) want everybody at the Suwanee for their birthday on the 17th to the 19th. :biggrin: :biggrin: :)

Last Tango
05-28-2005, 08:54 PM
Cuda,
I'm leaving Julington about 10:00-ish Sunday morning and headed to the Glen. I'm thinking about stopping at Porkey's Landing for a quick lunch. Should be about noon. Then on down to join the frakas inside and outside the Glen. Leaving about 3:30 to head back to Jax.
Look for my red 18. I'll look for you!

Cuda
05-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Cuda,
I'm leaving Julington about 10:00-ish Sunday morning and headed to the Glen. I'm thinking about stopping at Porkey's Landing for a quick lunch. Should be about noon. Then on down to join the frakas inside and outside the Glen. Leaving about 3:30 to head back to Jax.
Look for my red 18. I'll look for you!
We plan on leaving Deland around noon, should make it to the Glen, 1ish. What heading is Porkey's from the Glen? Is it deep water all the way?

florida gator
05-29-2005, 07:33 PM
We are running south to Astor and Silver Glen tomorrow. I've made that trip once in the fishboat. As I recall, there isn't an idle zone between here and Astor. It depends on who goes with us tomorrow. My buddy is supposed to bring two chicks (I gotta see that to believe it), if they come, we will probably take the Formula for more room.

South or North????

Cuda
05-29-2005, 07:54 PM
South or North????
North, I often do that since the damn river runs the wrong direction. :)

Last Tango
05-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Well, after scanning the boards tonight, I can see why you and CG left me all alone with Julie at the Glen today. The Glen was... freaking awesome. Julie wore her orange Bikini today just for that extra sunshine. She really hates tan lines. Me, too.
But I digress... it's your thread.

We tried to meet you there today. Lunch was at Porkey's Landing on the way back. They cooked a full two pigs and all the "fixins" and invited all of Georgetown to come eat for free. Appearantly he does this every year on Memorial Day Sunday. Seems to me since Porkey's is the O-fishul Werl Headquarters for the SEADOGs, that we are missing something here by not being at Pokey's next year on Sunday for lunch (starts at 1:30 - no charge, all you can eat). Julie and I made pigs of ourselves. We were surrounded by lots of friendly natives. My IQ dropped 30 points sub-Mensa just being there, but I will recover. Two hours run from Jax to the Glen. Used only 35 gallons for the entire round trip of 200 miles. Kep 'er at 3300 Rpm or there 'bouts (i'm still having Porkey's relapses, but they will pass).
Julie was not impressed with Porkey's. I told her things had calmed down so much there that they no longer put up the chicken wire when a band plays in the Wild Hog Saloon. That did little to appease her. She really did have this character from Deliverance staring her down at the table. He even came over and took a fork full of her chocolate Gator Cake. She took issue with that and stabbed him with her plastic fork. He took a swing at her, but she ducked and the guy hit this big hairy biker dude next to us right in the nuts. Then all hell broke loose and we retreated to the Donzi and made a fast escape. There were two airboats with big block Chevy motors behind us, but we out ran them in the deep water and heavy chop.
So, Chromey blew a water hose huh? Sounds like he had an interesting day.

ChromeGorilla
05-29-2005, 09:26 PM
Mark, glad you had a great day. Yeah , had a little trouble, but no biggie. next year for sure. How was the Glen? Did you get a decent spot?