PDA

View Full Version : Fresh water cooling for my 22 Classic?

PeteL
05-01-2001, 05:23 PM
I've got the guilts on salting the 502. While I try to do a cool down and flush when I get in, some salt is remaining in the engine. So I'm thinking about fresh water cooling before it goes in in the next two weeks.

What do you folk think?

Thanks,

Pete

------------------
1998 Classic 22
Red/White
502 Mag
Bravo 1
Bone Stock

BigGrizzly
05-01-2001, 06:21 PM
Peter, I fresh water cool all my motors. after living in Jersey for 32 years and seeing what salt does to motors after a short period of time. We use to reengine dads boat every 4 years, then fresh water cooled it they lasted over 20 years untill we sold it when dad died. I just has Sen-Dure build a big one for my Criterion's HP 502, It will go in early after Lake Cumberland. the motor is brand new. My Corsican has had one for 5 years and still runs great. Call them and ask them for a quote. You may find one cheaper but not better. they are all bronze and nickel and copper. American Honda uses them to build ones for their Dynos. I now live in Ga. and still will do it.

Randy

[This message has been edited by BigGrizzly (edited 05-01-2001).]

PeteL
05-02-2001, 06:05 AM
Thanks Randy. I think it's the best thing to do. I'll check out Sen-Dure.

Pete

Scubado
05-02-2001, 11:20 AM
I've been looking into fresh water cooling systems for my boat too. I spoke with Sen Dure and they said they didn't make kits any more. They suggested I buy a kit from someone else and replace the heat exchanger with a Sen Dure unit when the kit exchanger went out. Mercury has a kits that vary from $800.00 on up depending on what your set up is. Marine parts is offering me a kit for about $650.00. www.marineparts.com (http://www.marineparts.com) I have no idea about the quality of components of either of these kits and have no experience with fresh water cooling systems. Good luck, and let me know what you come up with.