PDA

View Full Version : Mac 9.2 Password locked......

Mr X
05-19-2005, 08:28 PM
I have a mac running 9.2......it somehow got password locked.
I dont know the password.......
Anyone know how to get in??

txtaz
05-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Another MAC...Ted we need to talk.... :biggrin: :biggrin:

There is a login file you should be able to get to, I will look for the solution but you will have to finally give up the info on your boat.

Wes

txtaz
05-20-2005, 09:13 AM
If you do not have an administrator password, either, you can still reset the root password. Boot the system from the Mac OS X installation CD and select the Reset password option from the installer screen and follow the directions.

Assuming it is a Multiple Users password, boot to any CD suitable for that machine (it does not have to be an install CD). Go into the Preferences folder in the System Folder on the hard drive, locate the file named Multi-User Prefs and throw that file away. Then do a normal restart.

You may be able to accomplish the same access by starting with Extensions Off - boot, immediately hold down the Shift key, keep it held down until you get the Extensions Off message.

Try either of these methods. I do not use Apple puters so it's a shot in the dark for me.

Wes

Mr X
05-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Thanks Wes.
I did try the hold down shift key trick.........but no workie.
I must go buy an X-install disk I guess.
Thanks
Ted

txtaz
05-21-2005, 08:50 AM
Ted, Is your computer a bundled package? i.e., Did you buy it new and it came with everything already installed and only a few disks for support? If so, you can take it to a local shop. They will be able to take the "image" of your install and use their disk to reset your password. Might be less expensive that way. If it is a computer you got from someone, get the disk. I always have a disk of the OS's I use.
Hope this helps.
Wes