PDA

View Full Version : Goggles???? What are you wearing?

gold-n-rod
05-19-2005, 03:31 PM
After my first ride in my 16, it became evident that I'm going to need some goggles. I don't want the ski types, either. I am hoping to find something that is perscription (and yes, godammit, I need bifocals), tinted for sunny days, will especially keep the wind (and some water) out, comfortable and lastly, doesn't make me look like Mad Max.

What are y'all wearing and where did you get 'em?

joel3078
05-19-2005, 03:42 PM
After my first ride in my 16, it became evident that I'm going to need some goggles. I don't want the ski types, either. I am hoping to find something that is perscription (and yes, godammit, I need bifocals), tinted for sunny days, will especially keep the wind (and some water) out, comfortable and lastly, doesn't make me look like Mad Max.

Not cheap but it will Get R Done.
http://www.panoptx.com/
I use these for boat and motorcycle. They can do prescription lenses but I don't know about bi-focal. The lenses also can be photogray (tint automatically in sunlight - go clear at nite) They are gasketed and keep wind out of your eyes. Very popular at the Harley Davidson dealerships. Oh ya, they are very stylish and do not look like those round bug eye goggles.

ChromeGorilla
05-19-2005, 04:22 PM
Maybe a bit too much but cool none the less! check out all the different styles, some of the graphics are pretty cool.....

http://www.fishhedz.com/

McGary911
05-19-2005, 04:45 PM
I picked up some motorcycle goggles from a Harley shop. yellow lenses, padded eylets, etc. I haven't shed a tear with them on yet. Only about $20

Yeah, they look goofy, but i like that Mad Max look... :cool!:

Fish boy
05-19-2005, 07:07 PM
Lately been wearing Beer Goggles, but bought a set of morals on ebay last week, gonna try them out. :beer: :biggrin:

Cuda
05-19-2005, 07:36 PM
Not prescription, but this is what I wear on the boat and on the bike. About ten bucks.:)

gold-n-rod
05-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Lately been wearing Beer Goggles, but bought a set of morals on ebay last week, gonna try them out. :beer: :biggrin:

LOL, I have several pairs of those myself. One for every night of the week and several for the weekends. I'd buy some of those morals, but I can't afford 'em. :bonk: :rlol:

DonziDave
05-19-2005, 09:14 PM
"Goggles?.....We don't need no stinkin' Goggles...!!!" -
Mexican Bandit in
"Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

Just buy a quality pair of sunglasses.

Cuda
05-19-2005, 09:18 PM

The problem I have with sunglasses is the wind coming around and under them, makes the bags around my eye start flopping. :(

gold-n-rod
05-19-2005, 09:28 PM
The problem I have with sunglasses is the wind coming around and under them, makes the bags around my eye start flopping. :(

Warning: Too much information follows:

This is why I don't wear baggy swim trunks!!!!! :smash: :smash: :smash:

MOP
05-19-2005, 09:40 PM

My bulbs are dim also, I wear Verilux. It seems near impossible to find decent prescription goggles, a fiend had me try lightly yellow tintned plain lense goggles. I was surprised that after maybe 10-15 minutes I could see quite well, it may be worth a try depends on how bad your bulbs are!

Phil

RedDog
05-19-2005, 09:43 PM
Look for some OSHA spec'ed safety glasses. They will fit over most perscription glasses. They can be tinted, yellow for hi-vis, or clear.

Cheap

El Bandido
05-19-2005, 10:12 PM
"Goggles?.....We don't need no stinkin' Goggles...!!!" -
Mexican Bandit in
"Treasure of the Sierra Madre"

That's Senor El Bandido to you......... :D

Rootsy
05-19-2005, 10:16 PM
Oakley M frames tend to blow off of your face above 50 in a 16 though :bawling:

i find that a good fitting pair of shades such as the pair of oakley minute's i have, etc actually push back against my face at speed and seal out most if not all wind... i have no real issues....

JR

yeller
05-19-2005, 11:31 PM
The first few times I had my boat out, I had tears streaming down my face because of the wind. My wife had to turn around because she couldn't handle it.
After a few rides you'll get used to it. It doesn't bother either of us now.....unless we catch a bug...ouch:rlol:

mattyboy
05-20-2005, 08:02 AM
get yo self some cheap sunglasses, big black frames, with glass so dark they won't even know your name.................. :yes: ZZ baby

this way when they go over board you won't feel so bad

Knot Slow
05-20-2005, 08:35 AM

What are y'all wearing and where did you get 'em? Hey there,check out a company called panoptix,these are goggles with detachable foam inserts for around the eyes,they are expensive but worth it.Some harley dealers carry them,same as you i had my perscription put in,goggles were 120$ plus the script.

banfield
05-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Hi Guys,
I use Barz goggles. They're an Australian company (think surfers and ozone holes), and pretty much designed for being around the water. I suspect that they'll seal better than any of the others out there. I also have mine in prescription and photogray. You can change the gaskets from vented to sealed depending on how you want to use them. Unfortunately, my eyes are very wind sensitive (from some surgeries as a kid)... so I need these goggles.

Here's the link to the company:
http://www.barzoptics.com/product.htm

Their US distributor is Murray Marine in Carpenteria (good folks from my other life as a Hobie Cat sailer/windsurfer/Kiter):
http://www.murrays.com/

-db

synack
05-20-2005, 02:01 PM
I tend to abuse and lose sunglasses, so I tend to go the cheap route when I buy them as they rarely last more than a few months.

You can get a decent pair of polarized fishing glasses for about $10-$15 in the fishing depts of most stores (like Walmart).

I got the following Renegade pair for $15 at walmart and have no problems at 60+ mph. No more tears!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2510748

Donzigo
05-20-2005, 06:51 PM
I wear these google type prescription glasses...............and yes, we both have girlfriends. We just happen to not have hats with us and had head get-ups. My girlfriend was taking the picture; so, Fishboy, no jokes about the Suncoast Resort, dude.

boldts
05-23-2005, 12:22 PM
I too wear prescription eyeglasses. Because of this and already having the photo gray along with now bifocals, I found that a simple pair of swimming goggles made by Speedo were the ticket for me. They are available in all the popular Donzi colors and they fit over my glasses. Think I paid $20 or $30 for them a couple years ago.