PDA

View Full Version : classic color help

pokster
05-19-2005, 12:28 PM
I got a yellow 1996 22 classic. the color is very faded. what is the best way to get the color back. 1)heavy buffing 2)wet sand, then buff 3)paint.
thanks for any help.

Tidbart
05-19-2005, 01:06 PM
First try compounding with a medium to heavy cut compound.
See how it does. Not good enough? Wet sanding is next. Try 600 and see how it goes. Need more, go to a lower number, then go back up to 1200-1500. Then compound, then polish, then wax.
If all else fails, paint would be your next option. Redoing gel is $$$$.

Do a search for 'compounding gel' or something similar in the Performance section. There have been tons of posts on this stuff.

Good luck, just sanded my '96 this spring. Lots of work. Although if the boat has just a yellow stripe with white sides it shouldn't be too bad.

You will need a good polisher like the Porter Cable 7424 or better.

Bob

RedDog
05-19-2005, 05:25 PM
look into Aqua-Buff - http://www.aqua-buff.com/

Try the 2000 and follow with the 1000 (or is it the other-way around?)

pokster
05-19-2005, 07:41 PM
My sides are yellow too.
So basically the same way I do a car. start light and keep going heavier until you get the results. I have a nice Milwaukee buffer, and I will give it a try. any ideas of how much of the yellow will come back. Its to a War Bonnet yellow now (old vette color)
I also have one spot the boat got up against the pier and put in some cracks in the gel coat. What is the proper procedure for fixing this?
I want to get her all shinny so when I register her I can include some nice photo's

John W
05-20-2005, 09:03 AM
3M makes a red buffing compound that come to a high gloss. I used it on my Hatteras before I had her painted. Then I put on a coat of Collinite wax, The wax lasted a full season at the Ocean. Also try Flitz, that stuff is amazing. You can buy it cheaper on the web.
JW

joseph m. hahnl
05-22-2005, 09:47 AM
I got a yellow 1996 22 classic. the color is very faded. what is the best way to get the color back. 1)heavy buffing 2)wet sand, then buff 3)paint.
thanks for any help.

you can polish the gell. and make it luster with a lot of elbow grease. does it look good wet with water?. here's the thing it requires reapplication and continues maintainents like every >three weeks but they make all kinds off plastic NOT WAX polishes like nu finish auto polish. what it does is rather than polishing the gell or paint you polish it. let me tell ya it works wonders. i use it on my motor cycle. this was a desert bike i bought in cali the clear coat is compleatly cooked. and frosted. the nu finish takes out all the blemmishes and it looks pretty good? like i said though it requires re aplication periodically. my minx got repainted and they did a pretty shody job. the paint chips and peels. i had my whaler painted with emron. it is very durable but it also wears off in the high traphic areas like the floor and gunnel. paint works good for a cheep quick fix. but in the long run it will create quite a burdon.if you must save up for re gell.

pokster
05-26-2005, 08:20 PM
ok the auqa-buff is ordered, I'll see how it does. It sounds like re-gel coat would be the next step if this doesn't work. Any ideas on price for that?
And thanks for the help

gcarter
05-26-2005, 09:39 PM
You can always get the gel to shine.
On my Minx, before I painted the stripe, I buffed it till it was shiny. The gel was so thin the pin stripe color (red) was showing through the blue like an old mirror that's loosing its silver.
In other words, wet sand (or color sand) till all the oxydation is gone, and then buff.
It's always easier to get the existing gel to shine than new gel that's sprayed on.