PDA

View Full Version : Dilemmas? Post a Poll!!

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 09:52 PM
OK,

Many of you know my situation, but for those that don't, I'll explain,....

I own a 1988 21' Ragazza BR. It's got a 315hp SBC in it that was JUST built. The original V-6 that was in it had a cracked block. OMC Cobra outdrive, 1.63:1 ration

I WANT a faster / sexier boat - I'm not independently wealthy

I NEED a FAMILY boat, as I have a family of 6 + the occasional 2 grandparents.

So, I've posted this poll to see what people think I should do,...

Please explain your vote with reasons,

Thanks,
Wayne

OH YEAH, on the 16, and 18, I mean to have 2 boats,....the Ragazza for family outings, the 16 or 18 for me and Momma only.

gold-n-rod
05-17-2005, 10:02 PM
So, I've posted this poll to see what people think I should do,...

Please explain your vote with reasons,

Thanks,
Wayne

I couldn't pick "any of the above."

Wayne, there are many "family" performance boats out there...... the Formy bowrider/SS models, the Z-22 Donzi, the Donzi deckboat, and (other makes I am too askeerred to mention).

Based on your family situation, you could never do a 16, 18 or even a 22 Classic without causing serious unhappiness to the females (young and old) on your crew.

If you really want to remain loyal to Donzi, look at the aformentioned models. You could be a 2 boat family (I am), but the Rag is a liability (sorry).

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
I couldn't pick "any of the above."

Wayne, there are many "family" performance boats out there...... the Formy bowrider/SS models, the Z-22 Donzi, the Donzi deckboat, and (other makes I am too askeerred to mention).

Based on your family situation, you could never do a 16, 18 or even a 22 Classic without causing serious unhappiness to the females (young and old) on your crew.

If you really want to remain loyal to Donzi, look at the aformentioned models. You could be a 2 boat family (I am), but the Rag is a liability (sorry).
Thanks for the input :biggrin.:

Wayne

MOP
05-17-2005, 10:32 PM
Rock & A Hard Spot!
Opinion you need to go the two boat route, to keep the family and you happy. If you wait until they thin out you will have grey hair like me! Find a cheap powerless 18 ( the sports car of Donzi's) use the Rags engine and go play. Put a stock SB in the rag plenty of deals around, that will make it dependable and cheap to run. You can only drive one at a time so you can only break one at a time, so hopefully no down time.

Phil

Trueser
05-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Hey where was the block cracked on the 4.3 ? I just found mine was leaking on the searay Starboard side/high on the block?

In need of another or JB-weld?

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Hey where was the block cracked on the 4.3 ? I just found mine was leaking on the searay Starboard side/high on the block?

It had cracks
1) Cylinder liners to under intake manifolds
2) Cooling passages on heads to external (similiar to where you say yours are leaking) Just above the stbd side water pump bolts, also crack in block here
3) external on stbd side above freeze plug

IT WAS SHOT!!!

I did JB weld and run twice before it gave way and caused a problem, my opinion, go with another. JB weld may work, but you'll find that it gives way at the worst possible time!!

Wayne

Formula Jr
05-17-2005, 11:44 PM
Hang on to the rag, and over power it if you must. What you do with your wife alone, on a boat ,....is of no concern of ours. A big innertube can be just as fun if you are both in the same mood. :smile:

txtaz
05-18-2005, 08:07 AM
I agree with Phil. We had two boats before and could only run one so the expense was really limited to annual maintenance. If you are looking for a fun ride, go with the 18. It is a blast. I would find one you are happy with and runs. Then modify it as time/cash allows. Leave the rag alone. If you have other drivers in your family, you could take both out for the family weekend and do your own raft up. This way you get the best of both worlds.
Wes :wavey:

marcdups
05-18-2005, 08:15 PM
sorry for the tribulations, but if you need room for cheaper get a Bayliner ar a pontoon boat, lol.
But on a serious note, you can do that until u are able do do both, good luck, BTW, you will always miss a classic, no matter what !!

onesubdrvr
05-18-2005, 08:27 PM
sorry for the tribulations, but if you need room for cheaper get a Bayliner ar a pontoon boat, lol.
But on a serious note, you can do that until u are able do do both, good luck, BTW, you will always miss a classic, no matter what !!
ACtually, I'm OK for room in the Ragazza, it seats my 6 VERY comfortably, just a little tight if the grand parents tag along. I'm just thinking about reliability issues with a 16 year old boat, that although the previous owner took OK care of it, he didn't take great care of it.

I have been thinking about that a little lately (pontoon / deck boat), but, we'll see, I'm gonna keep it a secret until it's done, and I'm still trying to decide!! Maybe a pontoon boat and a 22?? hmmmmm,.....

Marc, Glad to see you back, I hope you enjoyed the best you could your time back home,....

Sincerely,
Wayne

MOP
05-18-2005, 10:42 PM

Mike we have had a bunchwith raw water cooling that had weeping head gaskets, they can't take the pressure. You need to let it dry then take a mirror and watch it while some one else brings the RPM up to about 3000. If that is the problem the heads will need a little shave job the rot along the edge that and some good Felpro's it will be good as new.

Phil

Tim Morris
05-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I have been thinking about that a little lately (pontoon / deck boatWayne

Naaaaah.....

Pontoon & Minx

HamrenDan
05-19-2005, 04:14 PM
cant you swap boats with someone on occasion? Don't you have some University tuitions to be paying for in the near future?

My 2 cents..

McGary911
05-19-2005, 04:52 PM
I voted for keep the Ragazza and see if you can't swing a reasonable 18. Like u said, that'll be for u and the wife, while the ragazza will be relegated to all out family outings. Not sure of the kid's ages, but if theyre old enough, one of them could be your other driver, and carry on the boating tradition in your family.....you have to hand it down to someone, right?