PDA

View Full Version : General boat handling questions

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 05:58 PM
So, I've been reading some of the recent posts as I've been looking at new boats, I am seriously looking at 22zx's (1997 and up), and classics (22's) Anyways, these are completely different beasts and it raises some questions to me.

1 - In one post someone mentioned that at mid 70's, in a 22' boat, you start to "run out of boat" - This in reference to the ZX, is this property the same for the classic? It goes on to talk about adding tabs to help correct the problem, how much does this help? how much would it help on my current boat?

2 - Step hull vs non step, it seems that the non-step 22 would handle very similar to my boat now, but ride nicer, sound right? Obviously the step has some handling problems that have to be learned, and handled properly, during NORMAL boat operations, how prevelant is this problem, can one pretty much cruise and not be constantly concerned about spinning out?

3 - Is there anything else I can do to help my boat ride nicer - it really slams on re-entry, or going into a wave - I tend to really come off the throttle as I'm not into breaking ribs while riding in the boat. I know ALOT of this is the reduced dead rise built into my boat, but I'm wondering if there is ANYTHING to help this?

4 - It seems my boat pretty much behaves the same with the new engine as the V-6, is that because I'm propped right? If I were to add another 100hp, would it definately get squirelly, or would everything be OK if propped right. What I mean, is I'd sacrafice 2mph at 68 (trimming for stability to 66 instead of being "loose and fast"), but if it doesn't matter over x speed how much you trim, it's going to be loose. Is it simply a matter that I haven't shoved that kind of HP / Speed into my boat yet?

5 - Which boat handles re-entry better the Classic, or the ZX, The ZX being heavier would seem to be more likely to be softer to me, but obviously MPH/HP is less on the ZX than the Classic.

6 - A 1997 22zx with the 7.4l MAG MPI, what is estimated top speed?

Thanks
Wayne

EricG
05-17-2005, 06:57 PM
3 - Is there anything else I can do to help my boat ride nicer - it really slams on re-entry, or going into a wave - I tend to really come off the throttle as I'm not into breaking ribs while riding in the boat. I know ALOT of this is the reduced dead rise built into my boat, but I'm wondering if there is ANYTHING to help this?
Thanks
Wayne

There are many folks here that have ridden/owned many more boats that I have, but I can tell you that you cannot underestimate the difference that small hull differences make in how a boat rides. My 2 Donzi's were/are both non-stepped deep vee's, one had 21.5 feet of running surface and a true straight V all the way back,the other only 18 feet with the "rounded" vee at the transom. Based on that simple info, you'd assume that they rode similar with the bigger boat running more comfortably, but it did not. In fact, my 18 feels like a pillow compared to my other boat in ANY water. I think a lot has to do with the sharpness of the V at the entry, as well as the strake design etc. My bigger boat slammed hard on landing. It's not really something I noticed for the first few years, in fact, it wasn't until another registry member made a comment after a ride that I realized that it wasn't "as good as it can get".

I've never ridden in a ZX, but they sure look like they are riding nice when they pass me :p . And, as far as the classics, well, it wasn't until I actually had one in rough water that I began to understand...you just can't describe how well they work in the right water. One word - perfect :biggrin:

-EG

BUIZILLA
05-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Sub, you NEED my Formula dude...

think FAMILY...

5 occupants in a 22ZX for a day ride, and your cramped...

If the kids ain't happy, then momma's NOT happy, and if momma's not happy....

get my hint...

JH

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 08:38 PM
Sub, you NEED my Formula dude...

think FAMILY...

5 occupants in a 22ZX for a day ride, and your cramped...

If the kids ain't happy, then momma's NOT happy, and if momma's not happy....

get my hint...

JH
OK, I'll bite,...
Wayne

MOP
05-17-2005, 09:00 PM
Jims Formula is CHERRY! Click my site address and look it over, it looks like the plastic was just peeled off!

Phil

DJ13
05-18-2005, 11:48 AM
For what it's worth, I've got a 22zx (99), step hull, 7.4l MPI, bravo 1 drive & prop (24p). I think, on GPS with 4 big guys and a smaller girl we were doing just about 60, give or take the chop. You could expect low-mid 60's by yourself, depending on weight, trim and conditions. I've never come close to spinning out but I don't take many high speed cranking turns nor do I try to jump ferry wakes (passtime for some in Puget Sound: good for bloody lips & broken bones!) Rides great in smooth to mildly choppy water (better in chop). All in all, I'm happy with her but I would definitely take a look at that Formula!

Dave