PDA

View Full Version : Boat going into shop

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Well, in 9 days, the boat has a doctors appointment to have the outdrive looked at. I know I could do it, but I'm tired, and REALLY need to catch up on some stuff around the house.

I have a few questions I'd like to address before I take it in thought, so here goes.

IF I have bad gears, should I lower my ratio from 1.63:1 to something lower, or stay the same?

What are the advantages of changing?

Trim tabs. Right now, I'm at that verge on speed where another couple of MPH speed is going to start to get the boat a little squirrely (I THINK). Should I look at having trim tabs put in, so that, if I go up in power before buying new I'm OK?

IF THE DRIVE IS SHOT, and it's not alot of extra dough, should I consider changing to a Bravo (cheaper than a KC, but beefier than my Cobra)? I think I've already answered my question here though, but let's throw out a line and see who nibbles.

alot of this is amazingly going to be covered under my insurance (man I must have had them throw in every little adder I could, but seems worth it now) So, I'm not going to be spending alot,...

I'm going to have them "Service" the unit while in also.

Anything else you guys can think of while it's at the shop??

Thanks
Wayne

Bad-Tat
05-17-2005, 06:36 PM
Wayne,
You can get a Volvo drive to bolt right up to the Cobra gimbal. Pretty hard for the 4.3 to lunch the gears on that thing.

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Wayne,
You can get a Volvo drive to bolt right up to the Cobra gimbal. Pretty hard for the 4.3 to lunch the gears on that thing.
I'll keep that in mind,....but, not a 4.3 anymore!! :D

Wayne

Fish boy
05-17-2005, 07:05 PM
no useful info from me, but want to wish ya luck getting her back on the water soon. :)

BUIZILLA
05-17-2005, 07:23 PM
What happened to the coupler theory?

Did you ever call Zeke at Phil's Outboard ?? he did a helluva job on my Cobra, very reasonable too.

JH

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 07:54 PM
What happened to the coupler theory?

Did you ever call Zeke at Phil's Outboard ?? he did a helluva job on my Cobra, very reasonable too.

JH
YUP, Called them today, have appointment for the 27th, boat going in night of 26th, thanks for the recommendations.

Coupler theory, hmmm, still thinking that, but maybe even more problems. I'm trying to remember the exact order of what happened, and where the noises were coming from. I haven't taken any thing apart, or done any real trouble shooting yet, I guess I'm just starting to thing the worst,....

Anyway,
We'll find out in a couple of weeks,
Wayne

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 08:11 PM
no useful info from me, but want to wish ya luck getting her back on the water soon. :)
Thanks Fish,...

Did you see the photo I posted (events and Gatherings)? I hope it's a site you don't see again for a while,....BTW, how's the new power??

Wayne

Fish boy
05-17-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks Fish,...

Did you see the photo I posted (events and Gatherings)? I hope it's a site you don't see again for a while,....BTW, how's the new power??

Wayne
No, I must have missed it, what thread?

New power is good but still working on getting it dialed in right. I need to shorten the shaft and then re-do my setup, but it is at around 52-53mph right now (from 45), and I just got 2 new props that I have not tried that should get me a little more. The torque is a monster difference from the 2.5 litre, and it is much quieter even with the additional 50hp.

The strange thing is turning the key and having it start without doing anything to the motor, then having to find my way home without being towed by budmann. My towrope and tool bag are feeling mighty lonely lately, but it is a boat, so I still keep them close by. :) Besides, I have the old motor ( or what's left of it :nuke: )on the stv, and it is not enjoying its golden years... payback is a beeooch!!! :biggrin.: Still have plenty to wrench on with the "mistress" when I want to get nostalgic.

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 08:25 PM
No, I must have missed it, what thread?

Events and Gatherings, "Idea for Florida Fun Run" - anyway, it's a picture of me being towed back!!

Glad to hear new power is working good, that's when this whole thing is fun!!

Wayne

MOP
05-17-2005, 08:47 PM
Wayne the bang you heard is what makes me think the upper let go, usually a coupler with smoke up the engine compartment and stink of burnt rubber. You mentioned going to a different ratio, 1.5 and lower is better in the fact that there is more gear contact area. The idea of putting a Volvo in its place would be worth checking out, I am not sure everything mates up the same. Shaft and bolt pattern are an exact match, all I would do is hold the gasket up against each one that will tell you for sure. new style and old Volvos are some tough at least as good and I think a little better than a Bravo they are the Maytags of out drives, there are a lot out there 20-30 years old still doing fine. There are quite a few members pushing some decent HP through then with no problems. I hope for the best for the fix you are in.

Phil

Fish boy
05-17-2005, 08:48 PM
Events and Gatherings, "Idea for Florida Fun Run" - anyway, it's a picture of me being towed back!!

Glad to hear new power is working good, that's when this whole thing is fun!!

Wayne

come to think of it, I did see it, just thought it was a picture of my boat someone dug up.

Definitely fun when it is running, but to tell the truth, I like tinkering and working on them too. For me, that is almost as much fun, just want to do it on my own terms- when I want and how much I want. Not as much fun when it cuts a boating day short, but that's boating, it happens to everyone once in a while.

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 08:55 PM
Definitely fun when it is running, but to tell the truth, I like tinkering and working on them too. For me, that is almost as much fun, just want to do it on my own terms- when I want and how much I want. Not as much fun when it cuts a boating day short, but that's boating, it happens to everyone once in a while.

I couldn't agree more!!! I had a BLAST doing the engine, unfortunately, it ran into a few more $ than I bargained for, but I have to say, I'm pretty happy with the boat right now, I spiffed up most of the interior, runs strong @ 60mph, just the out-drive problems, and the fact that I'll be limited in speed pretty soon in this boat, OH WELL, Many have said it,....

Welcome to the Obsession
Wayne

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 05:36 PM
Well,

Got the report from the repair shop today,

Fwd gearing is bad, can't be rebuilt
Lower unit is bad, can be rebuilt
Spun coupling hub in boat

So, engine has to come out, he's looking for a rebuilt / new unit, etc. etc.

He's going to work up all options - being Cobra and less availability, he thinks he may be able to throw a rebuilt bravo on for about the same price. Is this something I should consider? I can't see why not, I'm having him price it both ways.

Boy,... I'm not real happy right now :frown:

Wayne

Cuda
05-27-2005, 05:42 PM
I'm surprised it would lunch the gears and the coupler at the same time. Did you smell the coupler?

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 05:45 PM
I'm surprised it would lunch the gears and the coupler at the same time. Did you smell the coupler?

Not until it was too late, had the problem, lifted the engine hatch in time to smell a poof of rubbery smoke,...:bawling:

Wayne

Cuda
05-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Not until it was too late, had the problem, lifted the engine hatch in time to smell a poof of rubbery smoke,...:bawling:

Wayne
Yep, coupler is toast. I know that smell only too well. :bawling:

Cuda
05-27-2005, 05:52 PM
Will a Volvo Sx drive bolt up?

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 06:07 PM
Will a Volvo Sx drive bolt up?
Good question,...anyone???

Wayne

Cuda
05-27-2005, 06:32 PM
Wayne, send Forrest a pm, I think he knows.

MOP
05-27-2005, 06:41 PM
Wayne I am pretty sure I can snag a used coupler, I also think an XS may bolt up. I had posted awhile back in one of your posts to match the OMC & Volvo gasket up that will tell you if it will bolt up. I just went through checking splines and some othe stuff for another member a few weeks ago I think it will work. If it does it will be at least as strong and maybe stronger then a Bravo.

Phil

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 07:53 PM
Wayne I am pretty sure I can snag a used coupler, I also think an XS may bolt up. I had posted awhile back in one of your posts to match the OMC & Volvo gasket up that will tell you if it will bolt up. I just went through checking splines and some othe stuff for another member a few weeks ago I think it will work. If it does it will be at least as strong and maybe stronger then a Bravo.

Phil
Sweet, I'll check it out, it'd be nice!!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 07:54 PM
Wayne, send Forrest a pm, I think he knows.
Thanks Joe, I'll try to fire one off tonight

Wayne

Greg K
05-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Good question,...anyone???

Wayne

Nope...water lines and shift cable in different locations. Would have to change out transom as well to make it work along with the bellhousing.
:smash:

penbroke
05-27-2005, 09:24 PM
I know a guy who knows a guy who has a Cobra drive for sale. I think it was from a 4 cyl setup tho. As far as I know the boat was running before the engine was allowed to freeze. Then the boat was allowed to sit uncovered, bow down, full of water, for years.... :mad: :cussball:

I was told the oil drained from the drive was clean but I have not seen it.

I don't know what he wants for it and the "guys" above are gone for the long weekend but if you want I can check it out next week...

Frank

onesubdrvr
05-27-2005, 09:50 PM
I know a guy who knows a guy who has a Cobra drive for sale. I think it was from a 4 cyl setup tho. As far as I know the boat was running before the engine was allowed to freeze. Then the boat was allowed to sit uncovered, bow down, full of water, for years.... :mad: :cussball:

I was told the oil drained from the drive was clean but I have not seen it.

I don't know what he wants for it and the "guys" above are gone for the long weekend but if you want I can check it out next week...

Frank
Thanks, but I think I'll wait until I get the estimate from the shop, and we'll go from there. Hoping SOMETHING good will come from this!!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
06-19-2005, 09:20 PM
Well,

I spent a few hours with the guys at Phil's last week, and have decided to just find a used drive in the proper ratio (I believe 1.43:1 from 1.67:1), rebuild and install it. New coupler, bellows, shift cable / etc.

I had tossed around so many ideas of different things I could do, and decided this was best. When I get the boat back, it goes up for sale. I am looking at a couple of different Donzi's to replace her ;) , as well as a couple of different boats :frown: . Either way, it will be better boating for the family. She's been a blast, but it's time to move on (already). It's been a great learning experience, and don't regret .01 cent that I dropped into it.

Until later,
Wayne

Cuda
06-19-2005, 09:36 PM
Is the drive on there not rebuildable?

onesubdrvr
06-19-2005, 09:39 PM
Is the drive on there not rebuildable?
The upper is not, the lower is, but needs new gears :frown: , Anyways, probably better this way

Wayne

onesubdrvr
06-20-2005, 07:03 AM
On an interesting note,....

Talking to the guys at Phils, they feel the cause of failure was a fractured gear tooth that under the extra HP, Torque, and RPM finally broke off and went through the drive. The gear wear wasn't bad (ie no grinding wear), so although I was pretty rough on the drive (jumping a wave or two / etc.), it might not have been completely my fault. They feel that it was previous damage that was just waiting to break. The rebuilt drive will come with a 1 year warranty, so, although I will calm my driving somewhat (no more wake jumping for me), I won't be afraid to open it up.

Wayne

Rootsy
06-20-2005, 07:09 AM
"damn logs break everything" hint hint...

JR - where's that extra chewed up prop

onesubdrvr
06-20-2005, 07:15 AM
"damn logs break everything" hint hint...

JR - where's that extra chewed up prop

:yes: They sure do!!! :wink:

onesubdrvr
07-19-2005, 11:22 PM
WOW,

I didn't realize I had been without my boat for SOOOO long. Good news!! Willard at Phils called me tonight, boat will be ready tomorrow or Thursday at the latest :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: !!!! And under the estimate!! I'm pretty excited to get it back and put a few hours on it this weekend.

Anyone up for a run in the Ft. Pierce area this weekend? Hopefully something kinda short, some open areas, stop for lunch, or beach for some boat soda's, and to let the kids do a little fishing. (not up to running ALL day like we did last time). Something more momma's pace this weekend, heck, I may even put the Bimini up for the first time!!

SouthernExposure? Whadda ya' say Capt. Tony, you gonna be on the water this weekend?

Anyone else?

Wayne - feelin like a :pimp: again!!

Cuda
07-20-2005, 12:38 AM
Wayne, I think next weekend we are going to run from Daytona to St Augustine to meet up with Chrome Gorrilla if you're interestd in coming. Should be an easy run up the ditch.

onesubdrvr
07-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Wayne, I think next weekend we are going to run from Daytona to St Augustine to meet up with Chrome Gorrilla if you're interestd in coming. Should be an easy run up the ditch.
:confused: man, that sucks, that starts our week vacation in Orlando, and I promised momma no boat,....... oh well, next time :biggrin.:

Wayne

florida gator
07-20-2005, 08:43 PM

Cuda, you going up the ICW? Overnite or day trip?

Cuda
07-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Cuda, you going up the ICW? Overnite or day trip?
Daytrip.............unless I break down! :biggrin.: :banghead: :bonk:

ChromeGorilla
07-20-2005, 10:32 PM
Definately looking like Sat willl be the better of the 2 days. We could hit the Conch House for food then over to the city marina or the beach and chill out......or Cuder you 2 could chill over night at the city marina and enjoy the bars that night. Formula or Minx?

Florida gator, the more the merrier.....

Cuda
07-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Definately looking like Sat willl be the better of the 2 days. We could hit the Conch House for food then over to the city marina or the beach and chill out......or Cuder you 2 could chill over night at the city marina and enjoy the bars that night. Formula or Minx?

Florida gator, the more the merrier.....
Minx. The Formula is on the mend. :(
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1396697&posted=1#post1396697

Cuda
07-20-2005, 10:46 PM
CG, is there any motels on the water there?

ChromeGorilla
07-20-2005, 11:07 PM
CG, is there any motels on the water there?

not only is the Conch House and awesome waterfront restaurant and bar it is has a motel and pool too! This is where the Jax performance boat club stayed on their weekend trip to St A. Hold on, I'll find a website...brb

ChromeGorilla
07-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Cuder, here you go. Nice little place with local flavor. Tons of docking. If you stay here we can chill poolside as you guest.... :D Lets hash out a time for Sat in the next couple days.

Check out the elevated waterside "pods" where you eat...really friggin cool.

http://www.conch-house.com/

onesubdrvr
07-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Man am I stoked, boat came home today, Phils motor shop took good care of me too. Williard is a wealth of information, and nice to deal with!!

The bad news is no boating this weekend or next (going to Disney). So looks like I'll have to wait until the 13th to get her in the water and see how the new gearing feels, and what I'll have to do with the prop - is that the weekend that everyone is going to Suwannee?

I'm considering putting in at Stuart - Canal run to Indiantown, put in at the park / boat ramp, and doing a little BBQ at the park. The locks to the St. Lucie river are right there, or wide open running all the way to Indiantown - about 30 miles. Anyone interested in getting together?

Capt' Tony, how is the power steering problem going?
Joe, Scott, Scott, Jim, Jim, Mike, Mark, Jody, anyone?

Wayne