PDA

View Full Version : Why is the Hornet a semi Vee?

Formula Jr
05-17-2005, 07:51 AM
Looking at all of the classic donzies from the early period, they are all 24 degree dead rise, straight vee designs, except the Hornet. Which is a 19 degree at the transom Semi-Vee design. This boat just doesn't fit in any sort of design progression, even from the earlier 223. The only thing I can guess, is that it is a scaled down version of the Formula 276 Guerke design? But that was a straight Vee also and didn't have the flare at the bow.
TKOTR doesn't shed much light on where the Hornet design really came from or why donzi designed a semi vee hull, after all the success of the 24 degree straight vees.
To me, what it is most related to is a scaled down 40 foot sportfisherman of some kind.

Brownie?
Any One?

This hull just seems so out of context with the rest of the early line up.

Morgan's Cloud
05-17-2005, 09:03 AM
This came uo a few weeks ago .... I've tried my best to get that info here .. hope it works .

What month was the first Donzi popped ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone out there know what month the first Donzi was made?
Thanks much,
Chuck

FUELPOWERED

#2 4 Weeks Ago
ALLAN BROWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUELPOWERED
Anyone out there know what month the first Donzi was made?
Thanks much,
Chuck

August 1964, a 28' raceboat.

ALLAN BROWN

#3 3 Weeks Ago
Morgan's Cloud

Allan ,

... while you're here ...

Was that 28' scaled down to make the Hornet hull ?

To me they look a lot alike but it seems as though the Hornet has less deadrise.

Thanks/Steve

Morgan's Cloud

#4 3 Weeks Ago
ALLAN BROWN

The 16' Donzi, 23' Formula, 28' Donzi, 35' Magnum (originally 35' Donzi) were drawn at the same time. They all had (on the drawing) the same flare, deadrise, etc. They also had the same "Formula", which was one inch of keel radius for each foot of boat length. The Hornet was modified to make it faster by shortening the running lines aft, and flattening the deadrise.

If I tell you anymore, I'll have to kill you!

AB