PDA

View Full Version : My own personal AWOH

DickB
05-16-2005, 08:35 PM
I awoke the 300 horses of my ‘99 18 Classic for the season this past weekend and it was wonderful. I’ve been anticipating the sound of its through-hull exhaust for months. I had the prop touched up over the winter, and that plus the 55 degree air I figure helped me achieve a record 64.5 MPH GPS. Perhaps with a bit more chop and less fuel I’d have made an honest 65. No matter – I had a great time anyway. It’s fun driving a boat that will top 60 anytime and go wherever I point it.

My family and I had occasion to live in Florida for two months once while I was on temporary assignment. We went to the beach or the pool every night. The locals would inquire about our activities and we’d strike up conversation. They would invariably say something like “Oh yeah, the beach; I should go to the beach more often.” I’ve often pondered which is better – to live in a northern clime, where every boating day is savored and most opportunities taken advantage of, or to live in a southern clime where most every day is a good boating day and many good ones are passed over. I’ve decided I wouldn’t mind trying the latter for a few years. Maybe it will happen some day.