PDA

View Full Version : Non-Step 22 ZX,...(?'s)

onesubdrvr
05-16-2005, 03:57 PM
Who can tell me what about these boats, and how they compare HP for HP to the stepped ZX's

dead rise?
Handling?
How many are out there (I thought ALL ZX boats were step hull)?

After my problems this weekend, I'm doing a little shopping, mamma REALLY likes the ZX's, so I'm looking at those, me, I like the Classics, but I think a little Cuddy (with a porta-potty for the 5 girls) could come in useful, especially for long runs like I like to make,.....

Wayne

Mudball
05-16-2005, 05:17 PM
Hi Onesub...
I believe Donzi introduced the stepped version in 1998.
From everything I've heard the stepped version is good for about 2-3mph over the non-stepped, with the same hp.

The major issue is, the step is radical and creates a new set of problems at high speeds. I have a thread on here about that. That's also why Donzi only offers the 22ZX with a small block these days..

If I had it to do all over again, I think I would rather have a non-stepped version, as they handle big power just fine!

These are GREAT boats!
Kent

Mudball
05-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I forgot about your original questions...
The deadrise is the same, from what I remember.

As far as handling, the non-stepped version won't hook and spin out! I came close to spinning mine a few years ago with the old power...I have met a couple of non-stepped owners in the past, and they swear you can do full throttle high speed turns without a problem.

The spot for the porta-potti is really nice! It's a little cramped, but it works, especially for the smaller people. The cuddy actually has plenty of room for two adults! It's quite comfy, but it gets hot in there without a vent...I added a fan which works nicely.

I'm with you in that the Classic's are very sexy!

cneidhart
05-17-2005, 05:27 AM
Who can tell me what about these boats, and how they compare HP for HP to the stepped ZX's

dead rise?
Handling?
How many are out there (I thought ALL ZX boats were step hull)?

After my problems this weekend, I'm doing a little shopping, mamma REALLY likes the ZX's, so I'm looking at those, me, I like the Classics, but I think a little Cuddy (with a porta-potty for the 5 girls) could come in useful, especially for long runs like I like to make,.....

Wayne

Hey Wayne,
I've got one. Love it. In stock form she ran about 53 -56 mph, a few MPH less then a step. Look at the other thread about "22zx stability" if you are going to try and go much faster.

Good Luck,