PDA

View Full Version : Zig Zag Steering

Jraysray
05-15-2005, 09:42 PM
Zig Zag Steering

I have an 18 classic with an external Latham steering set up and an alpha one outdrive. Thae darn thing zig zags when going straight at idle. Hands off and no wheel movement. It will get to the point you want to go to but has me all over the place trying to counter the back and forth switch backs. What gives?

Mr X
05-15-2005, 10:28 PM
I have had 3 18's both with Latham and cable steering......they all did that too. It is a strange trait.

speedliner
05-15-2005, 10:42 PM
I have had 3 18's both with Latham and cable steering......they all did that too. It is a strange trait.

Lower the trim tabs, it will track much straighter and if room allows, let it "S" instead of trying to make a perfect straight line, remember to raise tabs before you reverse.

Cuda
05-15-2005, 11:08 PM
Most single engine I/O's "hunt" at low speed.

JimG
05-16-2005, 07:31 AM
Don't sweat it Scott, mine does it too. It'll swing 2-3 feet, then head the other way. I usually just let it go, unless the Kemah Channel is crowded. Then I have to correct a bit. I think it's a single-screw thing. My Thoroughbred does the same thing.

Jim

ps: big raftups on Memorial Day! You guys in town?

MOP
05-16-2005, 09:39 AM
Like speedliner says drop the tabs all the way down when idling deep V single I/O's wander like crazy, it can be nerve wracking it tight quarters. In tech school years back they told us it was the wash coming off the drive. I do believe that is right, I have driven quite a few single inboard deep V's and they track straight as an arrow.

Phil

Jraysray
05-16-2005, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info. I finally gave up and let it run it's corse. Nothing like a game of chicken on the crowded channel when coming in after a day on the water. :eek!:

Jim G,
Going to PM u on the raft up Memorial day. Actually will have the wife with me!! I love my kids but time for the adult's only swim!!!:biggrin:

Don't sweat it Scott, mine does it too. It'll swing 2-3 feet, then head the other way. I usually just let it go, unless the Kemah Channel is crowded. Then I have to correct a bit. I think it's a single-screw thing. My Thoroughbred does the same thing.

Jim

ps: big raftups on Memorial Day! You guys in town?

JimG
05-16-2005, 11:37 AM
Actually will have the wife with me!!

Well, good! We weren't going to let you tie up without her! :D :D

It'll be fun, we had over 30 boats last year! :eek!:

Formula Jr
05-16-2005, 06:14 PM
Jraysray,

try this once while you are just idling around and she starts to hunt,
raise the drive trim, little by little, and if it still hunts at the limit, use your by- pass trim limit switch and keep raising the drive till the wandering stops. You'll be creating a little fountain behind you like a jet boat, but I've found that almost all stern drive boats will track straight as an arrow by raising the drive. So long as you don't apply too much power, it won't hurt the universal joints.

Jraysray
05-17-2005, 09:41 AM
Jraysray,

try this once while you are just idling around and she starts to hunt,
raise the drive trim, little by little, and if it still hunts at the limit, use your by- pass trim limit switch and keep raising the drive till the wandering stops. You'll be creating a little fountain behind you like a jet boat, but I've found that almost all stern drive boats will track straight as an arrow by raising the drive. So long as you don't apply too much power, it won't hurt the universal joints.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.