PDA

View Full Version : Great Day...

HollaGeo
05-15-2005, 07:13 PM
I went down to Typhoon Performance Marine's open house today. I met Frank Civitano who posts on this board. He took me out on his Donzi, answered all my questions and even gave me a sandwich. I went in there only knowing about the Donzi Classic's. Thanks to Frank's knowledge and the 2005 Model Line-Up catalog he gave me, I am beginning to learn a lot about the boat company. I have narrowed it down to the 22 Classic or the 22 ZX which I will buy at Performance Marine from Frank. My gf likes the ZX, my dad doesn't like speed boats and my mom likes the Red Arrownow Edition. If I had to make a choice on the spot I would go with the ZX.
Thanks again Frank, I'll keep you posted on which route I decide to go.

ChromeGorilla
05-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Sounds like a good experiance with a good dealer. Some thing to consider if you are thinking about buying new. With the 22 ZX the most power you can ring up from the factory is a 350 MAG.......The 22 Classic up to a HP500. Although you could always supercharge the 350...... :biggrin:

HollaGeo
05-15-2005, 08:48 PM
For my first boat I don't want to go crazy.

Formula Jr
05-16-2005, 05:16 AM
HollaGeo, Frank C. has been on this board for a very long time and very active in the runs. And though I only met him once at AOTH - before the dealership, I can say, he isn't in this for just the money. He has a true love and understanding of these boats. And deeply wants you to have the best experience, and the boat that will fit you the best. My impression is that It isn't in his nature to be anything but a stand-up guy.

If your GF likes the ZX.... its a done deal. It has a cabin.
Meditate on that........... ;)

Dr. Dan
05-16-2005, 06:09 AM
:smash: I would suggest ya take the time to drive both styles...2 very radically different boats...Frank is clearly the authority on the limits of a 22 ZX. It would be a benefit to you to come to a couple Events...and see the 2 different styles and really talk to the owners....they can describe the limitations and or issues they may have had. If you are looking at just getting a boat for a few years and moving up...and this is your first boat...I would strongly suggest ya take your time, and that ya buy used. :bighug:

You will absolutely take a bath on any new boat in a short time frame. And there are a ton of really great deals to be had out there...even on 22ZX's.
Come to Lake George to see the Classics on Fathers Day Weekend...you might have to hunt a bit harder to find a 22 ZX ... I only know of 2 that frequent some of our gatherings....one attends Jacksons Poker Run (the Willards) and the other is Lil'Grizzly who attends the Hometown Rally in Florida.

I am sure there are more...I just don't see them alot...the 22ZX is kinda in a unique spot depending on your perspective....a very quick and fun boat...but alot of people who want this boat...outgrow its size quickly. They want the Cabin for occassional overnights...but find its more suited to a shelter in case of rain...and its really pretty tight ... most of these folks went to the 26ZX or the 28ZX if you are looking at those attributes and features...you could pick up a larger 26(like what Frank has) and have alot more boat than the 22ZX,this just depends on what your needs are, and how long you are intending to keep the boat.

Now..to continue my diatribe...the 22 Classic is truly more of a Gearhead, Classic Drivers Boat...absolutely no cabin, minimal storage and very fun. This is owned more by true "Purists of the Donzi World...in fact all of the 16,18 & 22 Classics,Mynx', GT-21's, etc." this is not to say the Larger ZX Boat owners are not into the Donzis, they are...but they also tend to move up to Larger boats, they start with the entry level "starter boat" and keep trading up, this is what they are after!

The guys and gals that run around in the little boats...tend to really take pride in the entire experience of the Donzi Lifestyle and hold them longer as a rule.
The Classics will generate alot more "Panache & Class" than virtually any boat...people just love them...I have had people with $400,000 Skaters and Outerlimits come over to our little ride and talk to us...Go Figure? :smash: I would venture to say that over 85% of most of the people on this Rigistry are Classic or Runabout or limited production style Donzi owners...(Like Harleys) its what turns this whole Saga that is the Donzi Registry.

Good Luck...This is the Fun Part...either way...you will be addicted...just warm up the wallet...the cheapest part of Boat Ownership is buying it, the Maintenance and the upkeep are what seperate the real Men from the Boys...
it never ends.... :smash:

Doc

HollaGeo
05-16-2005, 12:08 PM
I've been in the boating scene for years. My father has had a Bayliner, a Sea Ray and now he has a Luhrs. The Bayliner and Sea Ray were from the mid to late 80's. His current boat is a 1992. Point being, he has slaved over all of his boats because he bought them used in an effort to save money (Slaved= interiors, engines, weird smells, etc). I've learned something from this, BUY NEW.

The 22 Classic or the ZX??? I'm not going to rush into this. I need to assess my financial situation before I make any moves. I need to pay some credit card bills, school loan payments will be coming shortly, cell phone bill every month, etc. By next summer there will be a Donzi under my name. Until then I'm going to frequent these boards and ask questions. Another reason, the beginning of summer isn't the best time to buy a boat :fire: .

Going to meets. I would love to. The problem is that I haven't heard of any in my area. I live relatively close to the Jersey Shore and the Long Island Sound. There are a few people on this board from this area. I know there is an Atlantic City Poker Run sometime this summer. Is there anything else?

I would love to hear responses. If anybody has a 22 Classic or the ZX that wouldn't mind taking me out for a quick ride, that would be greatly appreciated. I'll even give you gas money.

Dr. Dan
05-16-2005, 02:08 PM
:cool: Most owners love giving rides...but you're gonna have to either come to an Event, or shake some outta the Trees in your neighborhood. Maybe you could try to come down to the Chesapeake some Weekend...I know of actually 3 or 4 22's and I might be able to get the Willards to swing by with their ZX?

Something to think about...maybe in late June say the 25th or later...

let me know...Ed Schumacher (the Undertaker)will have a brand new 22 Classic to check out...and it'll be outfitted right. Mine is moldy oldy and you won't wanna ride in it...its only a 1993 and from those Crummy OMC years when it was owned by Chris Craft for heaven sakes? :spongebob

Shoot me a private mail or email with a reliable contact number and I can probably pull this together if ya want...you may have to buy drinks that nite, or Crabs at Woodys?

Let me know...we put in at Anchor Marine, North East , Md.(Exit 100 off of I-95, take 272 East into Town)

Doc of the Bay :beer:

undertaker
05-16-2005, 02:59 PM
I would not go for a ride in Dr. Dans boat very old and outdated :bonk: :bonk:

No seriously Dr. Dan's boat is awesome and he has a world of knowledge about 22 classics, as for myself I am a newbie would be glad to take you for a ride but would really just be getting my feet wet with the 22 classic, hope to see you at the end of June on the bay :beer:

Oh yea the drink & crab thing at Woody's is a sure thing. :beer:

Undertaker aka Typhoon boy

HollaGeo
05-16-2005, 08:46 PM
I am relatively new to this board and I don't want to make plans and not come through. Go about your plans as if I weren't coming. I want to talk to my gf and see what she thinks before I say anything. Between us guys, do your wives have attractive female friends (mid-30's) that like guys in their early 20's? Bring them to Maryland. I'm not married yet, so I'm technically not cheating :).

Dr. Dan
05-17-2005, 06:51 AM
I am relatively new to this board and I don't want to make plans and not come through. Go about your plans as if I weren't coming. I want to talk to my gf and see what she thinks before I say anything. Between us guys, do your wives have attractive female friends (mid-30's) that like guys in their early 20's? Bring them to Maryland. I'm not married yet, so I'm technically not cheating :).

:smash: Wow...where did that Grenade come from? :rolleyes: On second thought...I retract my offer!

You must be new to this Board...or you would have never publicized your obvious character traits, although we are indeed all characters...here..most of us actually have some.."Character that Is!" Good Luck in your search...count me out!

Good Luck Studly! :jestera:

Doc of Non Nuetered Bull Hamstas :)

Donzigo
05-17-2005, 09:18 AM
...............................Reminds me of an old comedian, I think Brother Dave Gardner's story of a small town preacher asking the congregation to confess their sins in church one Sunday. One guy gets up and says he gambles, another says he takes money from the cookie jar to drink, then a guy from the back stands up and proudly says: "Preacher, last week I made love to a goat", to which the preacher says: "Dang, brother, I just don't think I would have admitted a sin like that to everybody".................guess some sins are best left unsaid.

dfunde01
05-17-2005, 10:09 AM
Perfect definition of the generation gap. I get the impression that most forum members are older poots like me, or well on the way. For us its about the hardware with the social scene as a way to include the family and share our toys. For the 20 somethings it is about the social scene with the hardware as a way to attract chicks. When I saw my first Sweet 16 in the 70's it was all about the hardware. A Holman Moody built 302 with a volvo out drive. I can still hear that cam idle. The 4.3 EFI in my new classic 16 just doesn't sound the same. When my buddy and I are out in the 16 the young girls think, "What a waste.". If my 18 year old son is out they try to climb in the boat. Go figure.

Dave

Dr. Dan................nahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....he didn't really say that, did he?

Reminds me of an old comedian, I think Brother Dave Gardner's story of a small town preacher asking the congregation to confess their sins in church one Sunday. One guy gets up and says he gambles, another says he takes money from the cookie jar to drink, then a guy from the back stands up and proudly says: "Preacher, last week I madelove to a goat", to which the preacher says: "Dang, brother, I just don't think I would have admitted a sin like that to everybody".................guess some sins are best left unsaid.

HollaGeo
05-17-2005, 11:31 AM
I was just being blunt. I appreciate the offer but I don't want to say, "I'll get back to you in a week." A week comes and goes and I say, "I'll get back to you in 2 weeks". Your response about trying to get me in a Donzi was very commendable. I didn't see that as a rude statement. Remember we are sitting infront of computers and sometimes what we type would sound a lot better in person.
The point about the age gap is true. I don't see anything wrong with it, it adds to the diversity.
I'm sorry if I made anybody mad. I wasn't trying to come out of left field and piss people off.

TuxedoPk
05-17-2005, 12:12 PM
ROFL- Let me take a stab at bridging this gap... I'm close in age to DOC and to Holla in geography.

Holla- I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that the part of your message that came out of left field was suggesting that our members assume the role of pimp for you. Yes, I realize that will leave a bunch of unsatisfied 30 something year old attractive females, but... Going forward, jump right in and share your passion for 30+ year old Donzis, bring your own Donzi girl the party, and you'll do just fine on the board.

"I'm not married yet, so I'm technically not cheating"
Did any of us really think there would be no long lasting reprecussion from the Clinton years? :fire:

mattyboy
05-17-2005, 08:31 PM
"do you mind if we dance wif yo dates" :tongue:

HollaGeo
05-17-2005, 10:14 PM
I guess it's weird to hear a guy take interest in the opposite sex. Hey Tuxedo, where do you boat?

onesubdrvr
05-17-2005, 10:39 PM
I guess it's weird to hear a guy take interest in the opposite sex. Hey Tuxedo, where do you boat?
OK, I usually stay out of this stuff,......

No,...it's not wierd, what is wierd, like was stated, is that it seemed like you wanted to hang with someone with a classic to "Get Some" - Kinda like driving dad's sports car when your a kid to get lucky. If you think the only reason to get a Donzi is to get some, you're wrong, sure it would help YOU, but most of the guys here have got it with or with out the boat (Believe it or not!!). Listen, I can appreciate the fact that you are young, and sex is like #1 on your list, but relax, it's just sex,....... Try not to come across like you want to use someone elses "toy" to party and get laid!!

Wayne

HollaGeo
05-17-2005, 11:03 PM
I understand where everybody is coming from. Didn't mean to offend anybody. I started actively posting here 2 weeks ago and already met a really cool guy who answered all my questions about Donzis. I wish I had a boat, didn't have to worry aboout exams and had a truck to tow the boat. I would frequent as many meets as I could. I was just trying to have some fun.