PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Tips

avanti
05-15-2005, 01:19 PM
Just purchased a set of Stainless Marine thru hull exhaust tips and would like to know what kind of sealer to use on them when I install them.

Ed Donnelly
05-15-2005, 03:23 PM
I used black silicone on mine. The black o ring that fits behind the beauty ring leaves gaps................Ed

avanti
05-15-2005, 06:33 PM
Mine have a fixed SS ring. I am worried about the effect of the heat on the sealer.

mattyboy
05-15-2005, 06:38 PM
fiftaytoohunnard, rubber O ring on both sides, and seal the holes in the (plywood)transom with resin

Ranman
05-16-2005, 08:42 AM
If you use 5200, you'll never get them back off if necessary. I would recomment 4200 which is slightly less permanent.

BTW -The Donzi factory doesn't (or didn't in 1997) use sealant on the exhaust tips. They sealed the holes in the transom and the tips were installed with nice thick rubber (neoprene) gaskets.

MOP
05-16-2005, 09:44 AM
I siliconed mine in cleaned off the excess then ran a very small bead of black arount the edge, the heat does not seem to effect anything.

Phil

Ed Donnelly
05-16-2005, 09:59 AM
Ranman; Mine came with the thick rubbber neoprene gaskets also. I said o rings because I was having a serious case of brain dead. But, I still had gaps between the beauty ring and the exhaust.The silicone has held up very well and is easier to remove than 5200....Ed

Ranman
05-16-2005, 10:45 AM
I still had gaps between the beauty ring and the exhaust

I guess I'm a litte confused about your configuration. Is this because the transom is not flat?

I believe my tips are IMCO's http://www.donzi.net/photopost/uploads/209/IMCO_Tips.jpg

The flange with the 3 mounting holes is integral to the tip. There is no seperate "beauty ring". These tips, when pushed up against the transom sit very flat with no gaps (transom is flat too). Tee neoprene gasket does an excellent sealing job on it's own.

I once bought a set to Stainless Marine tips just to replace the Imco's and they were basically the same (integral mounting flange). The hole locations for the mounting bolts were not the same though so I opted to return them and stick with my Imco's.