PDA

View Full Version : New Top Speed On MY 28ZX

fasttrucker
05-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Went out last night and made a couple of runs. :rolleyes: Just me and less then 1/2 tank.The temps were around 60 degrees and I was going with the wind and waves.The speedo showed 79mph on one run the hit the max 80mph :eek: on the next.Ended up picking up the wife and kids later on.Then ran to the naughty goose for dinner.Heading back to jacksons marina it was a really dark cloudy night. No moon or stars out.I almost ran into a moored sailboat :boat: with no anchor lights.Glad I was taking it easy on the way back in. :embarasse

Dr. Dan
05-14-2005, 08:57 PM
:cool!: Very Impressive....now if we could get a GPS reading with those same readings that would be moving in that boat. That boat sounds like its going 120 anyway...it is just a Nasty Sounding Boat...

Congrats Bill...glad you found your problem...I know that can be frustrating... :bonk:

We'll have to do some running this Summer now that 6' Under Boy is coming to his senses....now he'll have to actually drive his boat like the rest of us! :biggrin.:

Doc :cool!:

undertaker
05-15-2005, 09:20 AM
:cool!: Very Impressive....now if we could get a GPS reading with those same readings that would be moving in that boat. That boat sounds like its going 120 anyway...it is just a Nasty Sounding Boat...

Congrats Bill...glad you found your problem...I know that can be frustrating... :bonk:

We'll have to do some running this Summer now that 6' Under Boy is coming to his senses....now he'll have to actually drive his boat like the rest of us! :biggrin.:

Doc :cool!:

LOL :hyper: Doc you crack me up!! I am finally joining the classic ranks thanks guys for letting me join ya ;) . Fasttrucker saw your boat on a work rack on Friday but di not see you :bonk:, get a GPS reading on that mother and maybe you will be able to keep you with Doc and myself :yes: :biggrin.: , see you this summer on the bay.

The 6' under guy.

fasttrucker
05-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Thanks doc+undertaker....Us single engine guys gots to stick together :biggrin.: Went looking on line at GPS units a Digital Livorsi unit goes up to 200mph $198.99 plus antenna $205 plus harness $15.99 or go 100mph Auto-meter gauge for $134.99+ant+harness.

Mudball
05-16-2005, 11:57 AM
Or, you might consider keeping the stock speedo and buying a handheld GPS.
That's what I did. I found a Garmin eTrex for around $80, if I remember right.

I LIKE the stock speedo! I'm showing about 85 (it's almost buried) when I hit 78 on the GPS...

subprime97
05-16-2005, 07:39 PM
Went out last night and made a couple of runs. :rolleyes: Just me and less then 1/2 tank.The temps were around 60 degrees and I was going with the wind and waves.The speedo showed 79mph on one run the hit the max 80mph :eek: on the next.Ended up picking up the wife and kids later on.Then ran to the naughty goose for dinner.Heading back to jacksons marina it was a really dark cloudy night. No moon or stars out.I almost ran into a moored sailboat :boat: with no anchor lights.Glad I was taking it easy on the way back in. :embarasse

if you don't mind me asking a few dumb questions, i have a 28 zx as well and was wondering what kind of engine and prop setup you have to obtain those speeds. i am trying to get some more top end out of mine as well and new to the board. thanks for your help. brian

fasttrucker
05-17-2005, 07:27 PM
I have a 1998 28zx with single 502,bravo-1.I have a slight hook in my hull that makes me run a little flat+fast.My motor was rebilt to around 500-550HP.Lower unit replaced also.CMS RACING here in baltimore was expecting my boat to hit 80mph but its been a little less due to the hook.Lab finished prop really helped the boat to run faster.Ive posted my upgrades here on the site before.....Block decked+honed.crank cnc.crane cam.victor jr. intake.holly double pumper,msd ing.Timing chain,stainless marine exhaust w/pipes out the back.