PDA

View Full Version : Underwater sealant??

Chili 18
05-13-2005, 09:36 PM
Best way to keep underwater screw mount accessories sealed? I'm remounting the spedo pitot tube mount low on the transom after spraying VC performance epoxy on the bottom. Silicone, or some west system epoxy with a bit of filler blended in. Or ???

Cheers...

MOP
05-13-2005, 10:30 PM
What type of P tube do you have, most mount just about the bottom and need no fairing. If that is the case good old silicone will do the job.

Phil

Chili 18
05-13-2005, 10:44 PM
It came with the Gaffrig spedo. Nice solid polished block with four screw holes. I used silicone. Tried working it into the drilled holes with a dab to fill out around the compressed surfaces. Figured it would be fine... But had this image of water soaking into the transom and got a case of the chills.... Silicone it is... Thanks Phil

martiniboat/ Brian Kamrath
05-14-2005, 07:03 AM
Good ol' silicone will perform just fine under compression. You could step it up to 3M 4200 or even 5200 (considered permanent) for the ultimate in protection.

Brian

gcarter
05-14-2005, 09:23 AM
I would (and do) use 5200 below the waterline on anything....

Do yourself a favor, get the spring loaded Gaffrig (Now Livorsi) pitot.. First time you catch something with it you'll thank me.... :eek: :eek:
Does the spring loaded Gaffrig unit have the same bolt pattern?

MOP
05-14-2005, 12:41 PM
A word of caution 5200 is no doubt a better product, but if for some reason you have to remove the item you are almost garenteed to pull the gel coat off with it and many times a larger chunk then the mount pattern. you don't need that agrivation!

Phil