PDA

View Full Version : '73 20 ft Cig on ebay

kjly63
05-13-2005, 07:45 PM
Great hull for sale :bawling: don't care for the jet drive thou. Do you think this is factory or after market installation ???

Anyhow.....great hull :wink:

Lenny
05-13-2005, 08:13 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4549972614&category=80653

kjly63
05-13-2005, 08:53 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4549972614&category=80653

Lenny

Thanks for the help with the link........I was half asleep when I posted :bonk: .

Zudnic
05-14-2005, 12:41 PM
20Ft. Cigs are nice, the jet drive is a turnoff. Most of the 20's I've seen advertised forsale their price is what turns me away!

DAULEY
05-14-2005, 05:19 PM
much like a minx
they are a great boat

Zudnic
05-14-2005, 09:56 PM
One of the few Cig 20's I've seen advertised was at Lip Ship, they wanted $39,000+ for it, a 1985. Cigarette is making them, not sure what they list for. For the money I would go for Minx.

Lipship Performance still has the 20 on their site, depending on what the Ebay one goes for it has great potential!

http://www.lipship.com/preowned/preowned_fr.html

ad says 20 footer sold, but if I had the ebay boat this is how I would dress her up!

Sagbay32
05-15-2005, 09:14 AM
Is the foot throttle redundant with the control mounted on the port side or does the foot throttle have to be used (ie does the port side control only shifting ?)

Do all jets of this type have reverse as well?

It seems that they didn't make American Turbine jets in the early eighties.

Mike

Still fishin' for a boat!

DAULEY
05-15-2005, 10:40 AM
i think the boat at lipship was sold to the owners brother

Zudnic
05-15-2005, 02:36 PM
The Lipship 20 sold a lonnng time ago for considerably less than the advertised price.. And don't believe everything you read about it... It was very cool tho... Except for the 380S k planes :eek:

Shifter function only with a foot throttle...

Do you know what it sold for? The Ebay one does look to be in good shape and someone is going to get a great machine to build apon. The Lipship one if it did go to the brother, bet he did get a good deal.

One of the things I'm not crazy about on the Cig 20 is the wood dash, the racing teak stripe works, but the dash just does not work for me. I would do a diamond plate dash or polished aluminum, and the rest more like a 36 Gladiator interior. pics can be found on the Lipship site of what I mean!

I would rather live with the 380S k planes, than the jet drive!!!!! :lookaroun

Zudnic
05-15-2005, 04:21 PM
25k was the agreed upon price during prior negotiations...

Boat was pretty, completely redone inside and out. Paint was very well done. The Ebay boat is not in the same class, nor does the jet help it much IMO...

No, the Ebay one does not appear to be near the same class. With a little work she could be pretty close. Good potential, like to see more pics though to get a better idea of the condition.

DAULEY
05-15-2005, 04:58 PM
i spoke with seller the boat has been regeled not painted
that is a good thing. needs interior 2200 from bob at buildtrite
i think the hole for the jet drive is smaller than a bravo hole so you can cut it bigger and motor is fresh so
interior plus bravo and you have a great boat
just my 2cents
bob

Lenny
05-15-2005, 05:04 PM
Zudnic, there is one in Northern California, gold and black, 454, original in every way. It was in Portland, OR and I bailed on it at a "final" price of 9K$ your dollars. Original trailer, the works. The fella moved from Portland to Chico, CA, (funny, my neighbour is there restoring a historic bridge, anyways, I think he still has it, he didn't want to move it when he moved. I might be able to did it up.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35104&highlight=Cigarette

smoothie
05-15-2005, 05:53 PM
One of the few Cig 20's I've seen advertised was at Lip Ship, they wanted $39,000+ for it, a 1985. Cigarette is making them, not sure what they list for. For the money I would go for Minx.

Lipship Performance still has the 20 on their site, depending on what the Ebay one goes for it has great potential!

http://www.lipship.com/preowned/preowned_fr.html

ad says 20 footer sold, but if I had the ebay boat this is how I would dress her up!

The last "NEW" one I saw for sale was in 2000 I believe and the retail price was around $85,000.00 A friend of mine has a Minx and its a nice looking boat but no way looks and handles like my cig...

DAULEY
05-15-2005, 06:23 PM
the one you are talking about is a lipship being redone
i like the cig better than the minx but they are very similar
i sold my 1986 and regret it every time i think about it
just my 2 cents
both are great boats
bob

yeller
05-15-2005, 10:02 PM
i think the hole for the jet drive is smaller than a bravo hole so you can cut it bigger and motor is fresh so
interior plus bravo and you have a great boat
just my 2cents
bob

Don't forget that a jet has its intake on the bottom of the boat. If you plan on removing it you'll have about a 1'x2' hole in the bottom to fix. Jets are also mounted considerably lower than a Bravo so you'll have to fill the bottom of the transom. One last thing...jet drives don't produce torque on the hull like an outdrive, so the transom may not have been reinforced as much as would be necessary for an outdrive.

Zudnic
05-16-2005, 12:17 AM
Lenny, I'm going to try the email. Just so happens I'll be driving to LA sometime this week. Chico will be a stop I'm making anyway's. At 9K is it a project or could she hold up for the season as a turnkey driver? For me what pushes the Minx ahead is much the same, style, class of boat; for less money! The only cig 20's I've seen advertised have been in the 20K+ range.

Got email from the regional buyer of Costco for the Cali region. I'm doing whats called a roadshow at most of the stores in that region. I hate rental cars, so I'm driving down. Since this is pretty full time, I will not have time for hunting Donzi's outside of the west coast. Comish from doing the roadshows should give me enough to get a nice X-18 as well. Open outloud dreaming: Buy Lenny tip 20, maybe stick with orig. exterior, update interior over the winter.

Zudnic
05-16-2005, 01:09 AM
Did some Cig 20 searches and found another way to do the interior.

http://www.thunderboatalley.com/gallery/album15/195cg_4

smoothie
05-16-2005, 08:36 AM
Dauley,Zudnic, I agree both are nice boats to own..

Zudnic,the interior you posted is from the latest version of the 20 cig,it has a different deck on it,see link

http://www.vidalsmonami.com/ywa/cigarette.htm

DAULEY
05-16-2005, 08:46 AM
is anyone biding on this boat as i will try to buy if know one else is please let me know
donot want to get oin a bidding war
could be a very nice toy
thanks bob

knots2u
05-16-2005, 03:32 PM
As mentioned, that shifter is probably just forward and reverse. If you leave the pump add a Place Divertor, it will add hydraulic trim to the pump. No good picture of the transom, there might be some type on trim on it now. If you wanted to switch to a bravo you would be filling 2 holes (a big one on the bottom) and moving the engine back about 12". IMPO the pump would be just fine, less headaches and cheaper in the long run. If you wanted to go to a prop, add a tranny and surface drive! Just my $.02 worth. Also I won't bid, I want bigger!

Zudnic
05-16-2005, 11:19 PM
Dauley,Zudnic, I agree both are nice boats to own..

Zudnic,the interior you posted is from the latest version of the 20 cig,it has a different deck on it,see link

http://www.vidalsmonami.com/ywa/cigarette.htm

Better pics, thanks. I like the old deck, but the dash in the older one does not work for me. The one Lenny pointed out for 9K, I'm trying the email, hope its still available. If it is I'm going to keep the outside original. But I'll do the more modern dash. The interior would copy the 36 Gladiator!

Like this: http://www.yachtauctions.com/detail.asp?stockNo=11833

The ebay one would be over my head putting a proper drive on, so I'm not interested.

Dave911
05-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Don't mean to hijack your post, but it seems you guys are really knowleadgeable about older speed boats. Your discussion of Cigarette and Donzi prices had got me wondering about the $13,995 price I set on my '72 18' Sutphen?

Open for comments or ideas on how to move her...thanks! Dave

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=39751

Minx20
05-17-2005, 12:09 AM
I actually called the owner of this one last summer when he had it listed in the South Florida Boat Trader. It was listed for either 14K or 15K. Never got to look at it as the owner was out of town when I had time to see it. The turn off for me was the jet drive. Would be great on a lake, but in the ocean it would cavitate alot. He said he used it on the intracoastal alot. I think he mentioned that he brought it down from a lake from up north.

Hope this helps,

Eric

knots2u
05-18-2005, 09:46 PM
Looks like someone in NY is trying to develope a smoking habit. :wink:

kjly63
05-20-2005, 12:54 PM
Dauley,

Go for it.............Bad timing for me to take a trip to S. Fla. :kaioken:

Ken

rustnrot
05-22-2005, 09:15 PM
So why didn't this thing sell?
1. Everybody hates jet drives.
2. American Turbine is out of business?
3. Nobody would be caught dead in "only" a 20 foot cig.
4. No trailer.

I'm sure there are others and I want to hear 'em!

Just Say N20
05-22-2005, 09:41 PM
My guess would be that it is an odd boat/propulsion package. Here you have a 20 foot, deep V boat, begging to be run in non-calm water. But you also have a Jet drive which almost has calm water as a design requirement when used on a runabout (by which I mean "non-industrial") hull. Where would you use this?

It looks like the 60's Sweet 16 (the one Don himself made:cistineb: ), sold for just over $7,600. There's a boat you can really use. Just my .02.

kjly63
05-23-2005, 07:58 AM
I think the jet drive was the main turn-off. A rough water boat like this needs a prop.

Ken

kjly63
05-23-2005, 08:50 AM
Received ebay email that the reserve was lowered to $4,052. If thats the case this is a good buy for someone to use as a lake boat :idea: humm, I live on a lake :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4549972614&category=80653

Only problem is my house already looks like a marina and I already have a 20 Cig.

Kenny

smoothie
05-23-2005, 09:01 AM
To sum up what already has been posted is that it is a great "hull" and thats all your getting, the engine sits lower and more forward so some major remodeling is going to have to be done for a outdrive and the big block is just a memory of the way it used to be unless you make a new hatch (clearance)...hope this helps!

Sagbay32
05-23-2005, 08:36 PM
Well, somebody got her......Dave?

Mike

DAULEY
05-23-2005, 09:03 PM
somone in stuart fla

Just Say N20
05-23-2005, 10:27 PM
:confused: :confused: When I go to the ebay page, it shows bidding had ended, and the Reserve has not been met. What am I missing? The owner lowered the Reserve, the highest bidder is notified of this, and has an opportunity to raise his bid by $1 to meet the new lowered reserve and by doing so signify "yes, I want to buy this."

From what I can see, this has not happened.

kjly63
05-24-2005, 08:33 AM
:cartman: That was my take on it. I've never seen an end of auction like that where the reserve was raised a $1.

Ken

seano
05-24-2005, 02:38 PM
:cartman: That was my take on it. I've never seen an end of auction like that where the reserve was raised a $1.

Ken

Guys,I saw the listing on ebay, but thought i'd share something i learned after bidding on a pair of 200 Yammis...

I was outbid and then received several emails from different sources claiming the winning bidder turned out to be a deadbeat and wanted to sell the outboards to me and attempted to arrange payment. I emailed the first one back stating I would bring payment with me the next day when I pick up the motors and to provide me an address where I could pick them up. they persisted with payment and I told them i believed they were attempting to defraud. The emails suddenly stopped.

So...bidder beware!

Zudnic
05-26-2005, 09:36 AM
Lenny,

Got email from your Chico guy with Cig 20. She is sold so I'm :banghead:

rustnrot
05-26-2005, 01:15 PM
The reason "a dollar more" would buy the boat is simple. At one point, the reserve was more than the $4052. People merrily bid away, but as you remain under the reserve you are not on the hook contracturally per ebay rules, to buy it. Sooo, he lowered the reserve as far as he could go near the end of the auction to try and sell the boat. Ebay rules do not let you lower the bid equal or less than the last "reserve not met bid". So he did the next best thing and lowered exactly $1 above it. To buy it, anyone, including the person who bid $4051, could just go a buck more and contracturally be on the hook to buy it. Hope this is not too confusing.

Just Say N20
05-26-2005, 02:29 PM
The reason "a dollar more" would buy the boat is simple. At one point, the reserve was more than the $4052. People merrily bid away, but as you remain under the reserve you are not on the hook contracturally per ebay rules, to buy it. Sooo, he lowered the reserve as far as he could go near the end of the auction to try and sell the boat. Ebay rules do not let you lower the bid equal or less than the last "reserve not met bid". So he did the next best thing and lowered exactly $1 above it. To buy it, anyone, including the person who bid $4051, could just go a buck more and contracturally be on the hook to buy it. Hope this is not too confusing.

Wow! That's what I was trying to say, but you did a much better job.:beer:

Cig35Mistress
06-29-2005, 12:50 AM
Hey Guys:

I'm new to the board, I've been lurking here for quite some time, but never actually posted. I'm an avid OSO guy and thats where I've spent most of my time.

I'm the "someone in Stuart," that picked up the 1973 20' Cigarette with the jetdrive that was on eBay that you guys are talking about here. I immediately yanked the motor, a 468 with "Big Brodie" aluminum Brodix heads and brand new Stainless Marine dry exhaust, to freshen it up, paint it, paint the bilge, clean everything out and reinstall. This should be finished by the 4th.

It one of many boats for me, and I think it will be a fun little toy. To answer some prior speculation, first, for what I am going to use the boat for, the jet drive doesn't bother me, actually it comes in handy on Sunday sandbar days, second, American Turbine and Berkeley are both still in business and I've ordered replacement parts from both already, third, I'll be caught dead in only a 20' Cig because I have a 35' Mistress as well and because it's one helluva boat for its size, and last, I had an extra 20' trailer in my shop, so the lack of a trailer was not an issue.

I think it will be a great little toy and what I picked it up for it was an absolute steal.

I'll periodically post pics of the progress, but attached are pics from the day I brought it home. Let me know what you guys think! I'm looking forward to being an active part of the board!

Harry Lewen - Stuart, Florida
1973 20' Cigarette Sport
1978 35' Cigarette Mistress
2005 21' Rebel Bay Flats
1959 40' Whiticar Sportfisherman

Lenny
06-29-2005, 01:11 AM
Very cool, WHAT is that exhaust ???

Neat boat, wish I had more. :yes:

BUIZILLA
06-29-2005, 08:53 AM
The hell with the rest of them..

I wanna see pic's of the Whiticar....

I have family all over Palm City myself.

JH

Cig35Mistress
06-29-2005, 09:03 AM
JH:

Who are you and who's your family and where in Palm City are they? http://www.donzi.net/ubb/eek.gif We've been in Martin County since 1980, about seven years on Hutchinson Island and the rest in Palm City.

My father is an attorney, Steve Lewen, his office was in the Harbor Federal building on Mapp and Martin Downs Blvd. for 14 years and we recently moved out to Sands Commerce Center on 714 about a year and a half ago.

The Whiticar is a 1959, hull number 20, originally named Ondine and then Anchor Too. I purchased it at an estate auction in 2000 and have been restoring it from the keel up ever since. It was commissioned by a Texas oil baron who lived on Willoughby Creek, then he passed, it was donated to the Coast Guard, and subsequently sold to Capt. Willard Long, of USS Rasher fame, and he and Brian Flynn owned it for nearly 35 years. She'll be powered by twin brand new 370 Cummins diesels on ZF v-drives, with custom sealed and oil bathed shafts by Sea Torque Control Systems. The boat is being rewired with a modular harness system that is color coded, tagged and numbered. A Northern Lights diesel genset will power the boat while underway, and the interior will be completely modernized with three air conditioners, plasma televisions and leather couches. The cockpit and cabin soles will be traditional teak strips with black rubber inserts. The boat will retain all of its classic elegance and charm through the use of traditional materials. These pictures were taken roughly a month ago when the boat was being moved to another location to be finished.

Lenny: The exhaust on the boat is Stainless Marine, the manifolds are the standard SM manifolds, but the tailpipes are fully waterjacketed and run dry to the tips to avoid camshaft reversion. The large sweep in the pipes helps with the same issue.

Thanks for the positive remarks! :beer:

Harry

smoothie
06-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Hey Guys:

I'm new to the board, I've been lurking here for quite some time, but never actually posted. I'm an avid OSO guy and thats where I've spent most of my time.

I'm the "someone in Stuart," that picked up the 1973 20' Cigarette with the jetdrive that was on eBay that you guys are talking about here. I immediately yanked the motor, a 468 with "Big Brodie" aluminum Brodix heads and brand new Stainless Marine dry exhaust, to freshen it up, paint it, paint the bilge, clean everything out and reinstall. This should be finished by the 4th.

It one of many boats for me, and I think it will be a fun little toy. To answer some prior speculation, first, for what I am going to use the boat for, the jet drive doesn't bother me, actually it comes in handy on Sunday sandbar days, second, American Turbine and Berkeley are both still in business and I've ordered replacement parts from both already, third, I'll be caught dead in only a 20' Cig because I have a 35' Mistress as well and because it's one helluva boat for its size, and last, I had an extra 20' trailer in my shop, so the lack of a trailer was not an issue.

I think it will be a great little toy and what I picked it up for it was an absolute steal.

I'll periodically post pics of the progress, but attached are pics from the day I brought it home. Let me know what you guys think! I'm looking forward to being an active part of the board!

Harry Lewen - Stuart, Florida
1973 20' Cigarette Sport
1978 35' Cigarette Mistress
2005 21' Rebel Bay Flats
1959 40' Whiticar Sportfisherman

Congrats! you sure did buy it right...looks to be all there and in good shape too,keep us posted on of course top speed and how she does in 1 to 2 footers! have fun!

Cig35Mistress
06-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Smoothie:

I ran the boat three times prior to pulling the motor. It ran honestly into the mid sixties, but the trim on the jetdrive wasn't working and I had a loose flywheel so I took it easy other than a couple of short blasts. Now that everything is freshened up and the jet has all new cables, I think I'll do better than that.

I believe the motor would still fit into the boat with a Bravo or a TRS package, as there are many 454/TRS combo 20' Cigs out there. At worst, I might need to add the later style "scoop" on the engine hatch.

Harry

JimG
06-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Congrats, Harry! You are the toy-man!

I LOVE that Whiticar!

JimG

smoothie
06-29-2005, 10:13 AM
Smoothie:

I believe the motor would still fit into the boat with a Bravo or a TRS package, as there are many 454/TRS combo 20' Cigs out there. At worst, I might need to add the later style "scoop" on the engine hatch.

Harry

yes this is true...and I have one of em :biggrin: so if ya need any measurements just let me know!

Cig35Mistress
06-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks for all of the support, I'll continue to post pics and info as it becomes available. We're planning on sticking the motor back in tommorow and buttoning everything up for the holiday weekend. The motor is now Chevy Orange, the heads, intake, carb and valve covers are all painted Cast Coat Aluminum, and the pulleys are Phantom Black. The motor got a fresh crank and bearings and was completely resealed. More to follow tommorow!

Harry

knots2u
06-30-2005, 01:21 PM
You should consider putting a Place Divertor on the pump. Full hydraulic trim at the push of a buttom. What impeller are you going to use?

Cig35Mistress
06-30-2005, 04:16 PM
Knots:

I have a Berkeley Jetovator setup on the jet pump now. Mechanical trim with a multitude of adjustments. Just freed it up and put new cables to it, so we'll see how that works first.

Harry

Cig35Mistress
07-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Here are some updated pictures with the freshened motor installed . . . hoping to get it finished up and running this weekend! :bonk:

Harry

RebarBox
07-15-2005, 11:41 PM
I'm the "someone in Stuart," that picked up the 1973 20' Cigarette with the jetdrive that was on eBay that you guys are talking about here.

Congrats on the boat! I had talked with Cashbar on OSO and he was going to look at it for me but it was sold early that day:bawling: . I believe you got a pretty good steal, uummmm, I mean deal...:cool!: .

Look forward to future pics!

Cig35Mistress
07-16-2005, 06:47 PM
Hey Rebar:

The boat was a good DEAL, a STEAL I'm not so sure about, considering my mechanic has almost 200 hours into the boat and its getting costly :)

Update soon . . .

Harry

RebarBox
07-16-2005, 10:26 PM
... a STEAL I'm not so sure about....

Update soon . . .

Harry

:smile:

Look forward to some updates and pics!

chad barclay
09-04-2005, 10:27 PM
do you have photos on line ? interested in looking at little cig:crossfing
Great hull for sale :bawling: don't care for the jet drive thou. Do you think this is factory or after market installation ???

Anyhow.....great hull :wink:

Cig35Mistress
10-13-2005, 09:37 PM
So after assembling the entire engine and jet package, we still had a terrible vibration. Played process of elimination to find out that it was internal to the motor, (remember I only did a crank and bearings as the previous owner told me the motor was fresh with 60 hours) and decided to rebuild the motor instead. Sent it to good friends at Machine World of NY in Copiague, they went through it and found the rods to be way out of balance, the pistons fly cut and not balanced, etc., etc. Just received the motor back today with new pistons, rings, bearings, crank, h-beam rods, rocker arms, etc., completely balanced and ready to go, they are estimating between 500-600HP. It's going in this weekend. I'll keep you posted!

Harry

Cig35Mistress
01-10-2006, 09:42 PM
Now that it is totally restored and I have almost $30k into this little 20' Cigarette, is there anyone out there that would like to make me an offer to purchase her? I have found a 27' Magnum that tickles my fancy!

Let me know guys - my email is Whiticar40@aol.com

Thanks,

Harry

DonCig
01-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Harry, talk to me. Please send me some daytime close up shots and a range on price that you will consider. I would prefer a pm or an email.

Thanks,

DonCig