PDA

View Full Version : 330 TR-II slipping sometimes???

Nicotine Fit
05-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi everybody,
I have a '78 with a 330 Merc (actually close to 400hp now). The transmission hesitates when going into gear sometimes. The problem is definitely worse when cold. When backing out of the lift, it may take 20 seconds to engage reverse. Once it goes, it seems o.k. The fluid level is fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

MOP
05-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Hi everybody,
I have a '78 with a 330 Merc (actually close to 400hp now). The transmission hesitates when going into gear sometimes. The problem is definitely worse when cold. When backing out of the lift, it may take 20 seconds to engage reverse. Once it goes, it seems o.k. The fluid level is fine. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Ideas!

If it is a Borg the lower oil line has a filter on the fitting going into the case what you are discribing can be cased by it being partialy clogged. Merc also has to have a filter, I am not familiar with the Merc units.
Have you checked to make sure your cable is pushing and pulling the full stroke? The do get sloppy over time. Most every transmission shift control valve is a round ported affair that rotates within a fixed ported sleve to align the oil passages, if the cable travel is off it will screw up your shift.

Phil

martiniboat/ Brian Kamrath
05-14-2005, 07:15 AM
Welcome to the Registry NicFit,

I have a 78' Martini using the MercTrans and a 'warmed over' 502 in front of it. I would check your trannys' line pressure and the shift (actuating) solenoid. Perhaps it's getting a little tired? The good news is that it is a simple rebuild and at that time you can upgrade the internals as well.

I have part numbers for you and some rebuild/upgrade tips as well if you like...

Brian

BigGrizzly
05-14-2005, 02:13 PM
You have a Merc trand not a Borg. The clutch plates are slipping. Under no circumstances use dextrom1.2.or3. use only Ford Type F in this unit. If you did that is what started it.

Nicotine Fit
05-14-2005, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys! Definitely some things to check...if it has a filter, it must be internal...when the problem started, I checked the fluid which was down a little, so I added Amsoil synthetic universal ATF. I don't know what the previous owner used. I think I'll drain and fill it with type F. Anyone know the capacity? Thanks again for the help.
Dave