PDA

View Full Version : Live beachfront video from Belmar, NJ

McGary911
05-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Just for the heck of it, i bought a wireless (802.11b) video web cam. I figured i can't go wrong for $99, right? Link to camera (http://www.compuplus.com/i/CAMERAS/Network-Security-Cameras/Linksys-WVC11B-Wireless-B-Internet-Video-Camera-1001545.html?sid=9zflq7860k4j9m6&mfr=Linksys&subcat=Network%20Security%20Cameras)
I set it looking at the Shark River Inlet and ocean in front of my house. Works out pretty well. I don't even have to have a computer powered up, because it has a little linux web server built in. There were a few tricks, as my isp blocks port 80, because they aren't thrilled about people like me, doing things like this, but i set it all up in a couple of hours, including the DNS stuff, so i dont have to type in an ip address, and specify a port.

You need a high speed connection, and have to use IE (with a plug in, you may or may not have).

Give it a look and tell me what you think: http://mcgarycam.afraid.org

This would be great to keep an eye on your boat over the internet. Or a great nannycam.

RedDog
05-13-2005, 12:36 PM
That is really neat. Most cameras I have seen before had very low frame rates. Yours is more like a real video.

I can see the waves breaking in the background.

18FOOTER
05-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Very Cool!!!

Mr X
05-13-2005, 05:16 PM
Very COOL!!!
So you do not need a static IP for it to work ??

EricG
05-13-2005, 09:02 PM
That is very cool...I might have to pick one of those up...as soon as I can figure out something cool to look at.

FYI - I had to open up port 1024 in/out in order to get it to work through my firewall at home.

EG

McGary911
05-16-2005, 10:19 AM
A static IP would be ideal, but my ISP uses DHCP to hand them out. The funny thing is, i have had the same IP ever since i installed the cam about 2 weeks ago. I was going to write a little program that would at least email me when my IP changed, but it appears that i've had the exact same IP for about a year. That's awful nice of my ISP. ;) Yep, Eric, i had to use 1024 to get it past my isp. Yesterday i was eating breakfast on my deck, and saw my cousin online. I sent him the link then promptly gave him the finger over the cam. I'd been dying to do that since i installed the thing! :hyper: Yeah, some days i fall on the low side of the maturity curve.

ChromeGorilla
05-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Yeah, some days i fall on the low side of the maturity curve.

HEHEHEHEHE....aint nuttin wrong with that brother! :biggrin:

Fish boy
05-18-2005, 06:59 AM
That rocks, I am so getting one. Great frame rate.

On a related note, I have a friend who owns a couple bars in South florida and has network cameras in both. While we worked together in Orlando, he would pull up the camera at the elbow room that faced the live entertainment, 2-way the bartender, and we would request songs and watch/listen to the songs on his Lattop. Sort of like the early days of TRL LOL

Lenny
05-18-2005, 10:26 AM
Very cool, just looked at it. Looks like a nice day there today. Lots of joggers :D

thriller
05-18-2005, 10:55 AM
Very cool, just looked at it. Looks like a nice day there today. Lots of joggers :D

Perfect for Mudge Island eh Lenny:)

MM

McGary911
05-19-2005, 10:36 AM

Wait about 3 weeks....That's when the bikini's come out :eek!:

I spend a LOT of time on the deck in the summer....

Donzi Kat
05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Was wonderin when that subject was gonna be brought up......hehe:smileybo: :smileybo:Also when the time comes

Is there a ZOOM button on there somewhere:eek!: :hyper: :eek!:

McGary911
07-12-2005, 03:01 PM
PRice is a lot better now. If anyone wants one of these things, they're now $59. I might just get another. Maybe one for my sis as a baby monitor while she's at work.

http://www.compuplus.com/i/CAMERAS/Network-Security-Cameras/Linksys-WVC11B-Wireless-B-Internet-Video-Camera-1001545.html?t=linksys%20camera&sid=038r62686rpt79y&track=searchViewed