PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Corsa muffler baffles

RickSE
05-12-2005, 01:24 PM
There was a post a while back about removing the baffles on Corsa tips. Looks like the owner eventually had to have the baffles cut out.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=36665&highlight=tip+baffles

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37706&highlight=tip+baffles

It appears as though the baffles are bolted through the center to a plate that is welded to the tip body. Anyone know if I can just unbolt and remove the baffles leaving the mounting plate in place? I'm sure it can't be that easy.

You still around donzi182003?

Hotspare
05-12-2005, 01:37 PM
Rick ............

Forget about it ...........

Unless your just looking for something to do ..........

It's all welded together, you'll just tear them up ..........

Sell em on ebay, and get set of straight tips with flappers .............

Splendid
05-12-2005, 02:12 PM
Anyone know if the Straight tips bolt on using the existing holes from the corsa mufflers that come standard from Donzi? I was looking thru an eddie Marine catalogue and was interested in the straight tips

donzi182003
05-12-2005, 02:44 PM
Rick Se,

The screw is to hold the baffles together. It is a series of baffles not just one. I got it done for free. If you have a decent machine shop around, and you want to keep the stock look just have them cut the spot welds on the sides and heat the baffles up enough and they punch right out. I helped the guy do it and we cut them in half just to make the punching out easier. Its not hard at all. It took a whole 10 minutes to complete. The only pain is getting the tips off but you will have to do that regardless if you want to change the tips. Ill send you pics of how they look inside if youd like. Corsa was going to sell me my exact tips for $365 dollars unbaffled. Thats way too much money IMHO.

Ed

RickSE
05-12-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks guys,
Kind of what I figured. I'll probably just leave it alone. I was hoping I could unbaffle these with the option of putting the baffles back in later if I needed to.

donzi182003, I would be interested in seeing what is inside if you have pictures. Could you post or send to firstvee@yahoo.com

DonCig
05-12-2005, 04:55 PM
I have a new set of Corsa tips that I cut the baffles out of, they have about 10 hours on them. I have some pictures if you would like. The 3 hole bolt pattern is different on the Corsas versus the non corsa tips. So if you change from the Corsa transom mounts to something else, you will probably need to drill new holes thru the transom.

I also have a brand new set of the Big Block Corsa muffles tips that flow a little better than the small ones. These are for sale also.

DonCig

RickSE
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
My problem is that I have humongous cans on my boat due to the motor. The outside diameter is approx. 6.75" and there's no paint under the cans just white gel. Poodle has priced some custom tips for me to cover up the old mounts but I've been reluctant to go there. I was hoping I could non-permanently modify my existing cans.

I am interested any pictures you guys might have.

jonnyrottn
05-13-2005, 06:25 AM
I replaced the corsa muffled tips last summer on my 22 zx, went right to corsa and ordered angle cut tips with built in flapper, you'll need to purchase 6 phillips head stainless steel bolts, about 3" long and some 3M white marine sealant. I called corsa and they said that all their bolt patterns were the same on the tips, the new ones went in with no problem. Don't know if other manufacturers use the same pattern, I though it was worth it to buy the corsa's. - Jon

Anyone know if the Straight tips bolt on using the existing holes from the corsa mufflers that come standard from Donzi? I was looking thru an eddie Marine catalogue and was interested in the straight tips

Splendid
05-13-2005, 07:37 AM
I replaced the corsa muffled tips last summer on my 22 zx, went right to corsa and ordered angle cut tips with built in flapper, you'll need to purchase 6 phillips head stainless steel bolts, about 3" long and some 3M white marine sealant. I called corsa and they said that all their bolt patterns were the same on the tips, the new ones went in with no problem. Don't know if other manufacturers use the same pattern, I though it was worth it to buy the corsa's. - Jon

I agree. I'll check out the Corsa's. Thanks for the info