PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried msd ignition control?

jonnyrottn
05-12-2005, 07:17 AM
Just trying to find out if anyone has installed an MSD 6M-2 on one of the newer MPI small block V8's, a 350 Mag or 6.2, or if you even can install one with the ECM that is used on these engines. And if you did install one was there a difference in the performance of the engine? Thanks for any help. - Jon

Rootsy
05-12-2005, 07:37 AM
Just trying to find out if anyone has installed an MSD 6M-2 on one of the newer MPI small block V8's, a 350 Mag or 6.2, or if you even can install one with the ECM that is used on these engines. And if you did install one was there a difference in the performance of the engine? Thanks for any help. - Jon

i am pretty confident when i tell you that you won't see any real performance difference....

JR

jonnyrottn
05-12-2005, 10:09 AM
thanks for the info. Had read an article in Family and Performance about an install on a 502 EFI, they did'nt see an increase - said it depends on the type of pistons that are in the engine, I wasn't sure if the small block would benefit. Thanks. - Jon

i am pretty confident when i tell you that you won't see any real performance difference....

JR

Richard Rees
05-12-2005, 10:28 AM
I have one on my 454 mag engine, which runs rich from merc, helps keep the transom clean. Burns the fuel better, not as much soot on transom, as far as preformance could not tell any diff.

martiniboat/ Brian Kamrath
05-14-2005, 07:20 AM
I'm with everyone else on this one. I saw no real performance benefits but it sure cleaned up the idle, which, IMHO made it very worthwhile...

...+ it's just another cool performance part that will catch your eye everytime you pop open the hatch!

Brian

Rootsy
05-14-2005, 07:51 AM
while i do run a full MSD ignition i do it more for the bells and whistles.. built in fully adjustable rev limiter, multiple firing at low rpm, ability to retard boost and the ability to custom tailor my ignition curve to anything i want... i will agree, low speed and idle are really cleaned up, helpful especially if you are a bit fat at idle...

MSD caps and rotors are notorious for corrosion and loss of performance after a short time... and according to MSD tech dept there IS a "SETUP" required for cap and rotor assembly eventhough it is NO WHERE IN ANY PUBLICATION stated as so... have a friend who's lost a distributor cap coil button and almost a 2nd due to the tang on the rotor being too low right from MSD... so when you install.. bend that thing upward a bit so you don't explode the carbon button...

JR

Dave_N
05-14-2005, 10:02 AM
I have been told (by MSD) that the issue with corrosion under the cap is not a quality issue with the cap and/or rotor, but an unfornuate byproduct of high energy multiple spark CD systems. The air under the cap is highly ionized by the discharge that occurs as the spark jumps from the rotor to the posts in the cap. This highly ionized air attracts moisture, and the result is accelerated corrosion. They recommended that the distributor cap be removed and dryed out after every use. They also recommended putting dielectric grease on the rotor tip and cap posts.

This moisture under the cap could also cause a cross-fire, more so than the box. Actually, I can't see how the box could cause a cross-fire at all.

Dave

Rootsy
05-15-2005, 11:34 AM
Not addressing a know problem with a commercial project that has a history of giving issues is just plain irresponsible...

I have never used a 6M-2 box and i have never had an issue with a 6AL or the Digital 6 Plus boxes i've used...

the biggest issue i have ever had are the cap and distributor corrosion... i've gone to coating them with LPS on the advance and pickup components... LPS is an anti-corrosive spray on oil that turns kinda waxy...

the cap and rotor get replaced every year and i often have to clean the terminals inside of the cap with the dremel once or twice a season...

JR