PDA

View Full Version : Help me save money...

HollaGeo
05-11-2005, 10:24 PM
Is there anyway for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition to tow an 18 Classic? The spec sheet says up to 2000 pounds. Has towing more weight than specified by the manufacturer been done before by any of you?

Ranman
05-11-2005, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't recommend it. If you're only towing a VERY short distance (like a mile or two), you may squeak by. First, Jeep Wranglers are not good tow vehicles because of the short wheelbase. Second, bad tow vehicles that are overloaded are dangerous. Don't even consider highway speeds. Lastly, if you exceed the manufacturers ratings, your insurance is void so you are 100% liable for anything that happens to you, your rig, your boat or anyone else should something go wrong.

dclassic
05-11-2005, 11:59 PM
The short answer is yes you can, but no you shouldn't. I have taken my 22 classic a couple miles to the gas station and a mile or so to the launch on many ocassions behind my 2003 Wrangler Rubicon. It will do it, but that is the extent of towing I will do with the Jeep. If I am going any distance or at any rate of speed I'll hook it to my 1/2 ton Dodge and relax. There is a reason that the rating on a Wrangler is only 2,000 lbs and it is not a hp or torque issue, but due to the short wheelbase. Ranman nailed all the very good reasons not to and I would agree. If push comes to shove, the classic will shove the Jeep off the road and then you have big problems and no toys to play with. I am a firm believer in overkill when towing; buy more of a tow rig than you need and towing will always be a pleasure rather than a nervous white nuckle experience. A nice 1/2 ton will do a great job with an 18 classic, unless you have a hankering for a 3/4 ton... :rlol:

Craig S
05-12-2005, 11:17 AM
Is there anyway for a 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Edition to tow an 18 Classic? The spec sheet says up to 2000 pounds. Has towing more weight than specified by the manufacturer been done before by any of you?

Well kids, don't try this at home.

I pulled my 21' Coronado to Ingleside on the Bay a couple years ago in my 03 Rubicon. 202 miles. It was perfect conditions, and flat. I did ok. 4rth gear all the way. 10 mpg. Lots of windage from the flybridge.

I routinely pull my 16' Resorter with the 04 Rubicon. That ain't like the 1960 21' Coronado Express with double axle trailer. Piece of cake. But I drive easy. I don't have abs, so I am extra careful. Now the 24' Nova - I haven't left the driveway with it. But low range is really handy for moving her around. take a look at the capacity of the Unlimited...just a wheelbase change. Its all common sense - of which I have little. I do try and not multtask changing gears/cds/and talk on the cell phone.

btw, I thought the rating was 1500 lbs. WOW. I need to read the manual.

be good.
Craig

HollaGeo
05-12-2005, 11:35 AM
I am looking to get out of that truck anyway. I have had it since August 2002. It took me to school in the middle of snow storms, work in the middle of snow storms, etc. I put nice rims on the truck, tinted the windows, nice sound system, wood grain dash. It looks classy though. It has 61k miles on it because school and work isn't around the corner from my house. I am kind of a one step at a time guy. Let me finish school first . Anyway, I stopped at a Honda deaership to check out the Ridgeline they just came out with. The tailgate swings open and lays flat, depending what you choose. Also, there is a deep space type thing under the bed for ice, fish, beer, soda, etc. Check it out if you have time. It can tow 5k pounds. The salesman was going on and on about the truck. Really impressed me a lot. As I said, one thing at a time. Thoughts???

Craig S
05-12-2005, 11:44 AM
Thoughts???

The top doesn't go down!

HollaGeo
05-12-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm not saying that a 2002 Jeep with 61k miles is old. My father just got rid of his 1995 Tahoe with over 100k miles on it. If I go with an 18 Classic and the trailer has brakes. I will put it on the hitch and see how I feel. Reason the title of this post is, "Save me some money" is because it will be paid off Summer of 2007. We live in a disposable society, every other commercial advertises a car/truck. Aside from that I did say, I am looking to get out of it. However, if I feel comfortable with a boat on the back, I'll go from there.

HollaGeo
05-12-2005, 11:49 AM
The top goes down. I live in the tri-state area and go to school in NYC. The top is down when I am in the truck. It goes right back up when I get out of it.

Craig S
05-12-2005, 12:04 PM
The top goes down. I live in the tri-state area and go to school in NYC. The top is down when I am in the truck. It goes right back up when I get out of it. I didn't think the Ridgeline was a convertible.
I bought the Jeep because it was the only "pickup-like" convertible. i am a ford guy, but a sunroof wasn't gonna cut it. I am extremely happy with the Jeep. But for "real" towing...

McGary911
05-12-2005, 12:14 PM
I'd love to get another Jeep, but I have my eye out for an older full size pickup\blazer\bronco to pull the 22' Crit with.......I wouldn't feel comfortable pulling with a jeep. Especially not with a CJ-5 (even shorter wheelbase), which is my fav......

HollaGeo, where in Jersey you from? I'm down in Belmar.....

HollaGeo
05-12-2005, 12:17 PM
I live in Tenafly. Right across from the George Washington Bridge. Surrounding towns: Fort Lee, Alpine, Bergenfield, Closter.

BUIZILLA
05-12-2005, 12:19 PM
FWIW, my brother has a 2005 Rubicon w/stick... I used it to pull my 18, and found no problems doing it, whatsoever. He has an 18' Maverick he pulls, and it will bury the speedo... stopping seems to be very acceptable as well up to 18' capacity.

If your 2002 has a hardtop and auto, I may be interested if your stepping out of it...

JH

HollaGeo
05-12-2005, 12:21 PM
Yes, Soft and Hard top. Automatic. Mint condition.

Craig S
05-12-2005, 12:39 PM
FWIW, my brother has a 2005 Rubicon w/stick... and it will bury the speedo...
JH
My '03 shut down at 96mph. I assume my '04 Rubicon does too. The '05???
How does your bro like the 6th speed?

BUIZILLA
05-12-2005, 06:18 PM
Holla, what color is yours? any pic's?

Craig, my bro's is a new 6 speed, 1st gear is massive grunt, we use 2nd gear starts ALL the time...

JH

TuxedoPk
05-12-2005, 07:36 PM
I live in Tenafly. Right across from the George Washington Bridge. Surrounding towns: Fort Lee, Alpine, Bergenfield, Closter.

He's up near me where NJ meets NY along the Hudson River.

mattyboy
05-12-2005, 08:47 PM
Joisey what exit???? :rlol:

HollaGeo
05-12-2005, 10:21 PM
Yes, us New Jersey'ians frequently ask each other what exit are you to get a general idea of what part of the state. :smash:

I am the last exit before the GWB.

TuxedoPk
05-12-2005, 10:42 PM
I just started to feel old when I realized that Piscapo did that routine the year when Holla was born!

HollaGeo
05-12-2005, 10:45 PM
Who is Piscapo?

Craig S
05-13-2005, 09:25 AM
LOL, I can picutre Tux now.. On the floor, clutching his heart... Looking for his meds..... :D :D

Good shot HG... This is coming from a guy who used to tow with a 1972 Capri... :eek:

2.6 surely, or was it the 1.6 liter Kent?

My '76 2.8 pulled my Glastron/Carlson CV16SS. 'Course the black and gold trim helped ...lol.

TuxedoPk
05-13-2005, 11:37 AM
LOL, I can picutre Tux now.. On the floor, clutching his heart... Looking for his meds..... :D :D

I'm coming Elizabeth...

Holla- Ask your parents to explain this one to you :) - lol