PDA

View Full Version : '85 Donzi 22' Criterion

02phatboyrider
05-11-2005, 10:05 PM
1985 Donzi 22' Criterion 454-330 hp.Mostly original. Motor Rubuilt last year, but has knock. New exhaust man. New ignition, msd/mallory. New manafold and carb. , TRS outdrive, 3SS props. Hull in excellent condition. Blue and white, slightly faded. New white interior. Rebuilt double axle trailer. New tires, wiring, and lights. Started restoring boat, no time, lost intrest. Need to sell !!! (985) 764-0024 N.O. , LA. Best Offer.

New pictures on Pg. 5...............................!
Check em out!

onesubdrvr
05-11-2005, 10:09 PM
I NEED THIS BOAT!!!!!

Wayne

Mr X
05-11-2005, 10:30 PM
DAMN!! That is NICE!!!!

Let the auction begin!

Zudnic
05-11-2005, 10:49 PM
I've sent the seller a friendly private message. :crossfing

Greg K
05-11-2005, 10:49 PM
Another SS comes out of hiding...nice. Now if we could just rattle the bushes some more for a II.

DonCig
05-11-2005, 10:51 PM
It's Mine, It's Mine, it's Mine!!!

Just Kidding; I am restricting myself to one new boat per year and I met my quota in February.

I hate moderation.

DonCig

Lenny
05-12-2005, 12:01 AM
I bet this "for sale" thread gets viewed 10 Trillion times. This will be an INTERESTING post to follow. :D

Nice boat, too bad my wallet looks like $hit... :(

Cuda
05-12-2005, 12:06 AM
Which model is that?

ChromeGorilla
05-12-2005, 12:13 AM
Even comes with a nice Burgee on the side. :boat: Sweet looking ride.

Lenny
05-12-2005, 01:32 AM
Cuda, SS...

:)

Rootsy
05-12-2005, 06:29 AM
we gonna start a pool on who ends up with this one??? :p

Cuda
05-12-2005, 07:13 AM
That's just what I need for running the river here.

Dr. Dan
05-12-2005, 12:47 PM
we gonna start a pool on who ends up with this one??? :p

Why Bother they always go South to the Land of Chrome Gorrillas and Enraged Canines with More Money than Sense, and Less Time than Hair!
Hmmmm? I resemble that remark! :spongebob

Who still has the Single Seat Black one up near Chicago...and why are they not on the Registry...I mean come on?

Doc of the Wrong Criteria....n :beer:

BERTRAM BOY
05-12-2005, 02:54 PM
'85? And, it's a II, not an SS.

knots2u
05-12-2005, 03:55 PM
More pictures please!

boldts
05-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Doc, you mean this one up in MI? Bertrum, the blue and white one out in CA is the same model as the top picture. It's an SS like Poodles not the Crit. 2 that no one seems to be able to find still running on a waterway pictured underneath. Sorry about the size. I just can't get enough!

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5024

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8061

Cuda
05-12-2005, 04:36 PM
'85? And, it's a II, not an SS.
I thought it was a II, I wasn't sure from the pictures. Damnit, now I'm really hot for it. Has anyone ever seen a II in person? How many did they make.

Cuda, north of the enraged dogs, and south of the sparkling primates.

Cuda
05-12-2005, 04:39 PM
Anyone get a ballpark figure on what he's asking?

Anyone want to buy a Minx, or a Formula F20, or a Formula 302? :biggrin:

Rootsy
05-12-2005, 06:45 PM
it's an SS... easily viewable in the taller photo, especially if you enlarge it.. the hatch is clearly visible...

JR

TuxedoPk
05-12-2005, 07:32 PM
What are those 3 brackets on both sides of the hatch?

Greg K
05-12-2005, 07:52 PM
What are those 3 brackets on both sides of the hatch?

It's an SS like I said before....oh and those are Weenie Bar Holders... :beer:

Voodoocanoe
05-12-2005, 07:54 PM
DAMN!! That is NICE!!!!

Let the auction begin!

Ok, I'll start with 10k

BERTRAM BOY
05-12-2005, 09:22 PM
Okay, Now I see the hatch.........but '85?

BUIZILLA
05-12-2005, 09:33 PM
a 454-330

knock, knock, knock

anonymous

Lenny
05-12-2005, 10:46 PM
Jim, come on, REALLY :eek: , two Criterions in your stable? Or soon to be?

This is getting obscene... :D

I think there is a limit on the number of boats and Class A motorhomes that can be in ones signature;)

onesubdrvr
05-12-2005, 10:49 PM
I tell 'ya Jim, your lucky, another couple of months and it would have been mine,......ahhhhhh oh well, back to the drueling board,....

Wayne

DAULEY
05-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Knock Knock

Cuda
05-13-2005, 09:50 AM
Jim, did you get it?

Brian Freeman
05-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Bob you need to buy this one! I heard the guy will take 15k for it. What a steal..........

DAULEY
05-13-2005, 09:59 AM
its worth at least that its a rare boat how many can there be still around 4 or 5

classic_18
05-13-2005, 10:10 AM
Dauley,

Are you going to try to "backdoor" this boat too?

DAULEY
05-13-2005, 10:13 AM
no
i talked to owner first
it looks like someone is trying to back door me

Brian Freeman
05-13-2005, 10:25 AM
oh no....... here we go again.....

Brian Freeman
05-13-2005, 10:30 AM
I spoke to the owner and he said Bob contacted him yesterday morning at 7 a.m. and they had a deal on it. Apparently someone else offered more money and the guy thought he had something worth more money and has decided he wants more money for the boat.

Zudnic
05-13-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm interested but have zero to no time to sit and figure out how. Have another obligation that is taking up a little cash and my bank just screwed me! I'm still thinking of phoning to see if what I can spare and swing it. The only reason I have not phoned him is trying to figure realistically what I can offer. Posting so nobody feels backdoored! I want it, big time!

mattyboy
05-13-2005, 12:01 PM
popcorn 1.99
alcoholic beverage 7.99
a criterion being sold bringing the best out in everyone priceless :tongue:
this would make a great reality tv show
who'll do what to who to get a boat

well it's the best i can do the love boat was already taken :rlol: :)

Lenny
05-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Deja' vu once again. this is going to be "fun"

Good luck :D My bets are on Florida. :dolphin:

Zudnic
05-13-2005, 12:16 PM
popcorn 1.99
alcoholic beverage 7.99
a criterion being sold bringing the best out in everyone priceless :tongue:
this would make a great reality tv show
who'll do what to who to get a boat

well it's the best i can do the love boat was already taken :rlol: :)

Who ever gets it can thank my bank for it!!! Seems they like people asset "rich", but cash "poor". So you have to borrow from them!!! I found away to get some cash but the bank found away to semi nix it, so I'm in the process of finding another way without borrowing from them.

I don't like doing anything to others to get what I want! I play fair!

McGary911
05-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Wow, I guess I haven't been to the for sale section in a while. Good luck to whoever gets this beautiful SS. Ed Donnely may have an SS brother pretty soon.

Voodoocanoe
05-13-2005, 12:22 PM
I called early yesterday morning and left all my contact info, and did not get a reply. :bawling:

I also made a deal on another boat, but the owner is now not available :bawling:

I drove across state last weekend to look at another, and it was not in anywhere near the condition as advertised :bawling:

Ed Donnelly
05-13-2005, 12:33 PM
Not only a brother, maybe even a twin. Built the same year as mine.
Lets go crazy on the bidding guys. Those of us with Criterions want the big numbers showing. Wonder where he ran her? Lake Ponch or the Gulf.If it sells for some obscene amount, I'll let the losing bidder offer me BIG BUCKS.....Ed

RacingStripe
05-13-2005, 01:01 PM
Ed, do you have a link to some pics? Sadly I wont be bidding but would like to see more. :biggrin:

mattyboy
05-13-2005, 01:19 PM
I don't like doing anything to others to get what I want! I play fair!

Zudnic I am sure you are a straight shooter but the last time one of these rare gems came up for sale let's say everyone was not so forthright and magnanimus ;)

Ed Donnelly
05-13-2005, 02:21 PM
RacingStripe; Go to the registry, search under name Donnelly Edward

Photos are not the greatest,but when I get the new engine in, I will post more updated and better pics.............Ed

boldts
05-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Racing,

I've got a bunch of the black Criterion SS that I posted and a couple of Poodles dark blue SS I can post when I get home tonight. Is that what your after or more pictures of the Criterion SS that is for sale in CA?

BUIZILLA
05-13-2005, 04:11 PM
Criterion SS that is for sale in CA? :shocking: :shocking: :redface: :stan:

Zudnic
05-13-2005, 05:46 PM
I called early yesterday morning and left all my contact info, and did not get a reply. :bawling:

I also made a deal on another boat, but the owner is now not available :bawling:

I drove across state last weekend to look at another, and it was not in anywhere near the condition as advertised :bawling:

I hate making a deal, driving several hundred miles, finding either the whatever is not as advertised or the seller has found a better offer and neglected to contact you. The latter happened to me last year on a car. Really sucked because I rented a trailer for the car and was nearly at the location of it when she finally returned my calls, telling someone else just bought it!

I believe in Karma to a certain degree, people who screw people however small usually get what they deserve in time!

Homer
05-13-2005, 07:02 PM

Would that be the X-18 that was advertised?

Trueser
05-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Wow,
I'm keeping out of this one.

Should be fun to watch.

Back to work on the 22

RacingStripe
05-13-2005, 08:19 PM
Racing,

I've got a bunch of the black Criterion SS that I posted and a couple of Poodles dark blue SS I can post when I get home tonight. Is that what your after or more pictures of the Criterion SS that is for sale in CA?

The black boat is beautiful. Wouldn't mind seeing more pics. Maybe it would better to place in another thread, if you decide to post. :hyper:

I think the one listed in this thread is in Louisiana. :wink:

Lenny
05-13-2005, 10:58 PM
1300 views in two days,... nawwww, no one is interested ;)

02phatboyrider
05-14-2005, 12:44 AM
To Whom It May Concern:

Just to set the record straight...Bob was the first person to contact me. He has been extremely helpful. I have personally heard from only one other person - in Texas, you know who you are. As far as "Jim" goes, I have not spoken to him nor heard from him. There are no backdoors here. As the ad reads - Best Offer. I have been bombarded by phone calls, but have been unable to make contact with anyone else.

I knew the boat was rare, but never realized the amount of interest it would get. I listed it on the registry to reach people who knew the boat. But, things seem to be getting a bit complicated with ya'll. Boat is still for sale, but leaning towards putting it up on E-Bay in an attempt to be fair to all. More pics will be forthcoming this weekend. Questions? You know how to contact me. Thanks!

Ranman
05-14-2005, 12:48 AM
I love the Ebay idea. I think that would be a win win situation. High bidder gets the boat and 02fatboyrider will get todays "market price". In fact. I don't see how he couldn't do it that way.

Where's my damn checkbook?

02phatboyrider
05-14-2005, 12:54 AM

Sorry, Voodoo, don't know how I missed your reply, but if your seriously interested please contact me again.

Trueser
05-14-2005, 01:05 AM
I agreeeeee

I can't fit another boat in my driveway..

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Mr X
05-14-2005, 06:03 AM
DAMN!! That is NICE!!!!

Let the auction begin!

What a novel idea!!

Scott Pearson
05-14-2005, 06:39 AM
Ok...My 2 cents on this one. Looks like alot of people are willing to pay alot of money for a boat they havent seen. This crackes me up. No offence to the owner of the boat because it could be in great shape. One persons opinion on the shape of a boat is totally different in someones elses eyes.

Most of you know I have some pretty rare boats and have traveled some long distances to get them. I have also owned a Twin Turbo Criterion II. I also have the where withall to restore these boats. Alot of people just think they can put a little wax on something and go. Thats not how some of these older Donzis are. Look at the 1967 Bench Seat Hornet that was up on ebay. A bunch of you where willing to put up alot of money for a boat you had never seen and knew nothing about. Then when there where a few of us who let you know the extent of what you might find you backed off real quick.

With that said. There are also some of you who look at this boat as a money maker and will buy it and turn it over in a few months. You know who you are and its a real ****ty thing to do to a board member who really has a love for a Criterion and wants it for the right reasons. People should buy these older Donzis to save and enjoy them. They sould do it for the love of the boat and they shouldnt care how much it costs to get it back to the way it was. If You look at it as "Ohhhh, I'll never get my money back out of this thing" Then go buy another late model Donzi and stay away from the older ones. Let someone else get it who is going to do the right thing.

And in suport to the seller of this boat. Disclose everything you know about the condition of the boat when you put it on ebay. Just so you get your money and dont get jerked around when the buyer pickes it up. The buyer might say it wasnt what they expected. If they dont care thats great!

Ok....No I need a drink.

Scott
President, Lake George Donzi Classic Club

BUIZILLA
05-14-2005, 07:37 AM
I think it's important to realize, the SELLER here, is a straight-shooter. You can tell that by the way he writes... we are/should be thankful for that, at least I am...

With that said, it is clear he came to the Registry first, to market his pride and joy, because he realizes the intrinsic nostalgia, and he WANTS to see history relished. HE WANTS the boat saved. He is/was doing the right thing. Ebay is the wrong road for this particular boat.

Is it worth a ton of money now... no. It needs work, prolly a LOT of unforeseen work too, and a new trailer. Is it worth it? absolutely, if your a lifer restorer/purchaser. In the future, is the recoverable resulting expenses going to be covered??... hell no. Never. History has shown us that. Look at the beautiful 6.2 re-power resto boat in MA that didn't sell in the mid 30's. It cost WAY more $$$ than that, to do as well. I have a touch under 40k in mine. I know what Poodle is doing to his... Look at WayLo's investment... Look at Donnelly's, and Grizz's... we do it for love. I hear the red MadDog boat just sold for LESS than the here-in argued $$ amount a year ago... what a cluster f*** deal that was.

If your going to buy this boat thinking your going to patch, fluff and flip it for a profit, your incredibly stupid. You don't belong in here, or with us. If your prepared for a 40-45k purchase/resto to showable/usable status, then by all means buy/bid on it.

Was I interested...YUP. When I heard that a certain Texas member (great couple, I luv 'em) wanted it for the same reasons I wanted mine, then I backed off immediately. The boat NEEDS to go to Texas... 02 phatboyrider, I am willing to buy the boat today from you,(I know ever square inch of these boats now BTW) and personally see it delivered to this certain person. My money, and my truck, Poodle offered to drive. He can pay me later... you will be doing the hobby a favor, you can sleep well with this thought. I really believe you want this scenario to happen somehow. This is the very least I can do, to repay members like Poodle, Pearson, Grizz, Donnelly who KNEW what my REAL motives were, with my lifer purchase of my Criterion. I am forever thankful for what these people did for me, and I want to repay the Donzi hobby as such. That's just how purists operate...

I respect any direction you choose to take in the sale, and thank you for coming here first.

Jim Haas 305.796.0222

Rootsy
05-14-2005, 08:07 AM
yeah and you all seem to have somehow sucked me right into thise whole itchy thing with you :biggrin:

may this boat find a good loving home...

JR - For Love of the Game...

Mac
05-14-2005, 08:12 AM
Put it on eBay. let whoever is willing to pay the most money buy it, plus you will expose it to a much larger audience. It's a boat, I would not worry about what whoever buys it is going to do with it either.
I doubt it will go for a huge some of money, like more than $25k, it is a rare boat, but there are a lot of rare boats and the people that are willing to pay big bucks for them are rare too.

Fish boy
05-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Wow! I have been following this thread for the last couple of days and when I woke up this morning and saw a bunch more posts, I figured I was going to read more about someone trying to slither in and screw someone else behind their back. I thought to myself what is wrong with some of the people on this board?

I now know what is right with some of the people here too. Buizilla, you are the man! :beer:

Phatboy, I also appreciate you clearing the air and setting the record straight. I wish you the best of luck in your sale and hope it finds its way to a good home.

Mr X
05-14-2005, 09:36 AM
I just love peolpe telling the Owner/Seller what to do with HIS porperty.

Zudnic
05-14-2005, 12:18 PM
I'm glad I have no time to sit and work out a way I can buy this one. I'm in the process of splitting some acreage into 5 acre lots forsale. I was attempting to be mostly debt free for the rest of the summer. Needed cash for some other expenses and the real estate agent gave me a pretty good advance. The bank took most of it to pay down my revovling line of credit. Despite the fact I pay it down at the end of every month, was going to at the end of this month. I'm a little ticked that they seemingly grabbed money from me when I had some other more pressing issue's to take care of!

Anyway I would have had some extra cash on hand if they did not grab most of it. Would have made a fair offer on this with that extra money!

My original plan was simple. Want something that works well, could use some refreshing, that could wait until winter. I go to So. Cal at least once a month, supposed to be this weekend. I set my schedule and can take days off, so planned on getting a 18 or 22 classic, preffer first one. Start driving to LA with Donzi, make stops like Shasta, Sac River, play with donzi for a couple of hours. Once in the LA area I seem to have short work days, again play with Donzi instead of sitting in Hotel watching T.V.. One area I get to spend time at while in LA is Newport Beach, looks like great cruising times! I'll also have to start going to Phoenix, AZ, area. So plan on driving up from LA, stopping at Havasu would be a must! When I'm in Washington State I end up in Seattle once, somtimes twice a week. Done by noon, so would spend most of those afternoons on Lake Union.

Second part of this plan; I like car racing, but I got used to living near Watkins Glen! My area only seems to have stock car ovals, good speed, but bores me to allways turn left. I like the social aspect as much as the driving on the track. To fill my need for speed and using my handling skills I'm left with public roads and around here I'm lucky I've only received a couple of tickets. Poker Runs appeal to me has everything I want with my speed, social gatherings combined with my hobby! So I wanted something a little bigger for that. like a mid to late eighties 35 Cigarette Cafe Racer.

I've decided that a Criterion would fit the second portion of what I want as well. So that is why I was interested when this came up! I've also decided for this season my budget I'm imposing on myself is around $12,500 max., so I'm sticking to X-18's or mid seventies, early eighties 22 Classics.

On the flipping things that appear to be priced under the market value. I've done this with cars, rarely if ever do you make money if your honest, even if your experienced!

boldts
05-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Need to sell !!! (985) 764-0024 N.O. , LA. Best Offer.

Sorry guys, in all my excitement, all I saw was LA and thought Los Angles. My bad. Good thing I don't have money for a Criterion of any type. :biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
05-14-2005, 01:38 PM
Phatboy, I would enjoy seeing more pic's of your pride ride. I like to see the varying tastes of the original owners, and different design expressions. I have learned a little bit more about every Critter i've seen so far. Yours is an exact color flip of mine, using the same colors. Mine is lion's blue stripe, blue carpet and blue seats, w/white cockpit, yours is white seats, and white carpet, w/blue cockpit and lion's blue sides. Also, your engine is slightly farther forward than mine is... where is the hatch ram??

Jim

Cuda
05-14-2005, 03:53 PM
I agree that is should go to someone who loves Donzis, and not trying to make a buck. Buying a Donzi to make money kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It strikes me as pimping out a family member for money. That being said, I also agree that the owner should sell to whoever wants to give him the most money.

02phatboyrider
05-14-2005, 04:09 PM
Hey guys here are the pictures yall have been looking for. If you have any Questions Call me!

02phatboyrider
05-14-2005, 04:18 PM
Even more pictures to view

I want to sell the boat this week.

02phatboyrider
05-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Hope these are enough....

gcarter
05-14-2005, 09:10 PM
Very nice pictures.
Well, whoever gets it, plan on pulling the deck and stripping it the very first thing, you'll save a lot of time.
I like the extra long engine compartment. Can you imagine installing a Bravo and a Falconer V-12??? :D :wrench:
It looks to be much more complete than my Minx was. It's always nice when all the parts are there.

Cuda
05-14-2005, 09:23 PM
Guys, I think we should leave his thread about selling a boat alone, and start a new thread for the pissing contest.

Cuda
05-14-2005, 09:24 PM
OK, so this doesnt get to far off topic... Posts will be deleted...
I see you were a step ahead of me. :yes:

Lenny
05-14-2005, 10:34 PM
...as I sit here DROOLING, I have to say, I'd be happy with just the Donzi paddle. :D

DAULEY
05-15-2005, 01:19 PM
i think this boat is getting a great home in Texas
special thanks to ED Donnelly
BOB