PDA

View Full Version : 22zx Storage Issues

Splendid
05-11-2005, 03:06 PM
Hello All,
I have a 2004 22zx and was wondering if any of you 22zx owners have come up with something creative for storing the anchor and line that is both out of the way and hidden. Although it is a great design, they fell short when it comes to storage!

Thanks
Splendid

synack
05-11-2005, 04:18 PM
I am having a hard time coming up with a good storage system as well. I tend to throw everything into the cuddy hole and then it's a big pain to rummage through things. There's gotta be an easier way to store things in this boat.

onesubdrvr
05-11-2005, 04:33 PM
I'll be getting together with a 22zx owner this weekend, I'll see what he's got cookin,.....just curious, have you guys thought about making more storage?

Wayne

Richard McCoy
05-11-2005, 06:07 PM
Is there any room under the bow mats in the cabin to install a door and a box? I don't want to cut a hole if it is filled with something. There is some room behind the rear plywood cabin panel (the one the door is hung on) on each side about 8 to 10 inches wide but no where to hang anything. In the bow there is a little room behind the front panel but its hard to remove and is of little use unless you need to change the horn, bow u bolt, bow cleat or bow light. A speaker would fit there. Where could one get a engine scanner and what kind will work with a 454 mpi.

Tidbart
05-12-2005, 06:35 AM
Richard

Try here for scan tools, etc.
http://216.230.203.183/marine/marine.htm

The basic code reader is about $45. The Scan tool is $$$$

Bob

jonnyrottn
05-12-2005, 07:08 AM
I have a 2001 22 zx, and had the same problem. I ended up purchasing a storage box intended for an SUV, black heavy duty plastic, it's light, won't rust, from that mecca of boating supplies - Wal Mart. The box is about 30" long, 15" wide and fits on the right side of the engine, as your facing the engine, right next to the hull. I installed four stainless steel anchoring loops, the kind that you would use on a jeep for the bikini top, that you can loop a nylon strap through. I put the box in place, marked the locations for the loops on either side and mounted the loops with stainless screws, just like how Donzi installed the battery holder on the other side. I put four 1" holes on the sides of the box just up from the bottom, lining up with the loops, grabbed two nylon straps with the cinching clips on the ends, these came from an old snowmobile cover. I ran the nylon straps thru the loops and holes, and cinched them down tight at the bottom of the box. I had to take the pins out of the hinges for the top of the box, you can't open it enough to get stuff in and out with the top on, the top is held on with two easy to release fasteners now. The box will hold two smaller anchors, ropes, a small tool/parts kit, and some small containers of gear lube etc. I haven't had any problem with the box coming loose, and it's nice to be able to remove it when you want to change the spark plugs or upgrade your exhaust manifolds etc. I'll attach a pic if you would like. - Jon

Hello All,
I have a 2004 22zx and was wondering if any of you 22zx owners have come up with something creative for storing the anchor and line that is both out of the way and hidden. Although it is a great design, they fell short when it comes to storage!

Thanks
Splendid

cneidhart
05-12-2005, 08:47 AM
That's what I did also. I took a Tubberware from Home Depot, without a lid and installed it on the Port side of the engine. I screwed it to the floor and have some holes in it for drainage.
If anyone is interested I finally have the pictures of the ski hook mounted at the end of the swim platform, I just can't figure out how to post them.

Shanghied Again
05-13-2005, 07:41 AM
When I had my 22ZX I did the same a big red plastic box on both sides of the motor held on with bungy cords. One I use for life Jackets fenders and the other one is my Anchor and extra ropes..

quick ZX
03-06-2010, 06:43 PM
i know it's a old old thread but i mould like to see some pictures of the containers please. I just bought a 22zx and not sure what size containers to get. I have a second battery on the port side. can't really understand how a container can fit there. Thanks

Trueser
03-07-2010, 07:56 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58412&highlight=28zx+anchor

This has worked perfectly on my 28

quick ZX
03-07-2010, 09:58 AM
thanks but that does me no good. looking for storage in the engine compartment.

Dr. David Fleming
03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
I was at the Detroit boat show last year and there was a Baja 22 outlaw that had a small bracket attached to the side of the engine compartment which held the danforth anchor. Nice clean installation and made to hold it and release it easily.

I would caution you about putting anyting that would get loose in the engine compartment. Newtons law F=MxA if it gets loose it could do some real damage.

My 22ZX took a trip down a giant wave of water in the Detroit River, in front of the GM World Headquarters. The right side battery came loose from the floor and flew around the engine compartment. This was factory installed.

If you watch U-Tube - this site - you can see some off-shore engines moving around inside their racing hulls when the boats take some big waves.

quick ZX
03-09-2010, 02:51 PM
What happened to the guys with pictures??