PDA

View Full Version : ?Donzi Classic 22?

Schaf
05-11-2005, 10:08 AM
I do not know much about Donzi but currently I am intrested in buying a 22 classic. If anyone could tell me what I should lookout for I would greatly appreciate it. I am looking and 1996-2002s. I appreciate your time and help. Thanks

Hotspare
05-11-2005, 12:47 PM
Schaf ........... Welcome aboard !!!!!!!!!!!!!

First of all, your looking at one of the best boats in class of all time ............ Her hull is long, lean, and true, well built & with a production run longer than just about anything out there ............. Some of the things to watch out for would be, like anything else ,,,,, How she was cared for ............ Get all the info you can from previous owners, like how she was stored & maintained ............ Where they used used the boat, salt/fresh and any accidents that may have occured sustaining major damage ............. Take a good look at the gel from top to bottom for signs of neglect ......... Check the engine and drive for obvious damage and get oil samples if possible ............. Do a compression check and prop shaft run out, this is a must ............ If all this checks, you'll then want (if your serious about a purchase) a complete survey .......... These boats have wood bulkheads & stringers so youll want to check that ............ Youll want to check for origional equipment too ,,,,, Allthough not as important as most guy's like to upgrade ......... Youll want to be sure you have the right power package installed, BB chev/ Bravo combo would be the preferred installation .................... Then if all that's working for you, take her out for a sea trial ............ I'd highly recommend taking someone that own's one with you, they'll know what to look for in performance & handling ....... These are just some basics to get you started, I'm sure youll have more questions as you get deeper into this ....... So just fire away ,,,,,,,,,,,, Your in the right place .............. Good luck ,,,,,,,,,

Bruce ..............

EricG
05-11-2005, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the registry!

Here's a few tidbits that I recommend for any Donzi purchase, not just the 22.

1. Its cheaper in the long run to buy the boat with the motor, drive, and options want rather than compromising due to price and assuming you'll upgrade later. The reality with these boats is that you will rarely, if ever, get the money you spend on upgrades back out. Small things like Stereos and Exhaust systems aren't that bad - and it's fun to customize your boat. But if you want a Big Block/Bravo, don't buy a 350/alpha and assume it's a cheap and easy switch.

2. Don't settle. If you want a 22 Classic, don't buy a 22ZX or an 18 because you find good deal. Donzi's are all great boats, but they are all different. If you have your heart set on one, don't think that you'll be happy with another just because it says Donzi on the side. It's way cheaper to buy what you want the first time. (don't ask me how I know :rolleyes: )

3. Attend a gathering before you buy, we are all obbsessed with our boats, and we love to talk about them and share them with others. A gathering is a great place to check out and ride in several different boats and decide what you really want (see #2).

Good luck with the hunt...it really is the best part :biggrin:

-EG

Dr. Dan
05-11-2005, 05:51 PM
:smash: Welcome Schaff Man.... I would suggest a couple of things, Next Weekend is the First 2005 Event- The Awakening of the Horses, check the Event Section...details are posted there....it's in Lake Cumberland at the Jamestown Resort....It's a dry county so bring your own brew if ya go.

By attending an Event, you get to see a variety of Boats,Owners and various stages of Chronic Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Next Event is Lake George New York June 17th(Fathers Day) all Classica All the Time, the Spring DustOff!

Also there is a "Search this Forum" key on the control bar on this page...type in 22 Classic...Start Reading.

Go to our Web Page www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com ....go to the Gallery Pages, we have some 22 Classic Owners there...

Some Popular Event Photos are uploaded and stored there for alot of the Events...not all. Makes for good review....

Post Back Once You Have Done Your Home Work....and we will guide you home Luke! :smash:

Good Luck My Son...Let the Torque Be With You! :beer:

Doc of Compulsive and Irresponsible Posts :spongebob

ChromeGorilla
05-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Next Weekend is the First 2005 Event- The Awakening of the Horses

Whoa cue ball...pump your brakes!

Feb- Seadogs in Miami/Keys
Mar- Seadog's in Mt. Dora
Apr- Seadogs Jax PR

Just cuz your thawing out still don't mean we aint racking up the hours down here! Seadogs count too...... :biggrin:

Perhaps you shoulda said the "Next" event is AOTH....... :wavey: :smash: :uzi: :rlol: :bonk: :propeller

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Schaf, welcome and good luck with your search... :beer:

Dr. Dan
05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
:spongebob Just worry about the Bling in the Bilge Silver Back! Everyone knows Florida never closes when it comes to Boating Season! It's like say Scores is a Boring Club....Master of the Obvious! :beer:

I am referring to the Stellar and Well Attended Events,experienced by an average of 25 plus Donzis Boats that Morons like me Tow over 15,000 miles a year to! Down South I would consider Eufala, and the Owners Rally in that group...nothing against Mt Dora, or the myriad of other gatherings that occur.

I would suggest: Awakening of the Ponies - Lake Cumberland - May
Lake George Donzi Classic Spring Dust Off - Bolton Landing - June
1000 Islands Thunder on the Bay - Alexandria Bay - Mid July
Lake Winnie Donzi Poker Run - Lake Winnie New Hampsha - End of July
Jackson Marine - Thunder on the Bay - Northern Chesapeake Bay- August
Lake George Family Fall Picnic - Lake George Specker Hecht Isle - Sept
Donzi Hometown Owners Rally - Hyatt Resort - Sarasota Florida

The above Events are the Core Major Attended Donzi Gatherings, they consistently generate a large attendence, and continue to draw newcomers on a regular basis. All are worthy of extra effort to attend...IMO! :spongebob
Others worthy of mention are the Northwest growing gatherings, Possum Kingdom in Texas and I am sure there are others...all are great, where ever Donzi Owners gather, its always a good time!

Doc of the Bay :cool!:

slapshot11
05-11-2005, 09:06 PM
Schaf,
Good luck with your search. Having just bought a 22' Classic last fall, I feel like I learned a few things in the process which may be of help to you. That being said, there are people on this site who have an amazing knowledge base about these boats. However, first I just have to say that after finally putting the boat in last Saturday, after what seemed like the longest winter ever, you couldn't be looking at a better boat. I've been looking at boat's for years and I personally feel like there's nothing like a Donzi. It's got true history and tradition. Nothing has the lines of a Donzi. When I cranked up the big block for the first time, my face just lite up with delight. What a sound. Like music. And when you push the throttle forward, the boat feels like it will launch out of the water,however comes right on plane quickly.
I think my biggest lesson came from someone's advice on this board and that was, if you not a mechanic, get a marine surveyor. It's well worth the $350.00 or so. While it's a great boat, over time things can go wrong that you'll never see with the naked, untrained eye. I had 3 boats surveyed before I purchased the 22 I now have. The first one had stringer problems and the second had some moisture issues in the transom. Both beautiful boats and both problems repairable, but I just didn't want to start with a repair. Secondly, have a marine mechanic run a computer analysis on the engine. My engine is a 1999 502 EFI. The mechanic simply hooked it up to the computer, tested all the functions to spec and was also able to ID any previous "trouble codes" recorded in the engines memory. Pretty amazing stuff to me. So that's my advice, I hope it's useful to you. Good luck.

Pismo
05-12-2005, 08:36 AM
Some simple practical tips

-Find a freshwater only boat, there are so many for sale you may as well avoid the problems and get a fresh only boat.
-Find one with a Merc based power system, 454/502 or 496 with a Bravo I.
-Get a 1996 or newer so it's a GenVI engine.
-Find one with as few hours as possible
-Enjoy

blueliner
05-12-2005, 04:44 PM
i just got my first boat ever 22' classic aronow edition and i love it. it is a great looking boat w/ all of the classic lines. the fact that it hasn't changed in 40 years tells you something. i saw my first one in cheasapeake bay in 1989 (an 18' classic) and have been in love w/ them ever since. 20 years later i am finally the proud owner of one and couldn't be more pleased. best of luck.

yeller
05-13-2005, 02:08 AM
i just got my first boat ever 22' classic aronow edition and i love it. it is a great looking boat w/ all of the classic lines. the fact that it hasn't changed in 40 years tells you something. i saw my first one in cheasapeake bay in 1989 (an 18' classic) and have been in love w/ them ever since. 20 years later i am finally the proud owner of one and couldn't be more pleased. best of luck.
Sorry to hijack the thread...but Blueliner.....
Why don't you show your boat to people who will truly appreciate it and bring it to Chelan in June:hyper: . 99.9% of the people in BC don't even know what a Donzi is, let alone an AE Classic. Personally, I'm drooly excessively at just the thought of seeing your new boat. Besides, I need at least one other :canada: with me :yes: . What ya say...I'll even buy all the :beer: you can drink :biggrin.: