PDA

View Full Version : I am Purchasing a 96 27 LXC....is there anything i.....

Avialanche
05-10-2005, 10:09 PM
I am purchasing a 96 LXC with Mercruiser 7.4 Bravo III, i am not able to find a Surveyor in the area that i'm purchasing the boat, i am an aircraft and auto mechanic, so i'm not totally clueless as to how to do a pre-purchase inspection, i'm am wonderin about any common problems that plagues this particular model and year. Also, i found a hour meter on the forward engine compartment wall, i'm assuming that this is the engine hour meter, it reads 54 hours. I couldn't help noticing that it had quite a few cables and wires going in and out of the unit, i see hour meters on aircraft all the time that are tied to the oil pressure switch, but they're usually just simple two wire units, the unit on the boat looked a little more complicated............can any body shedd some light on this. Thanks

RedDog
05-10-2005, 10:44 PM
No real help, but 54 hours could sound low on even a 2004 model.

A Merc shop could run a scan tool and tell you the exact hours

Avialanche
05-10-2005, 11:01 PM
No real help, but 54 hours could sound low on even a 2004 model.

A Merc shop could run a scan tool and tell you the exact hours

This boat has a carburated engine (carter carb), i didn't think this engine would have a Control Module/PCM of that complexity to have a internal hour meter.

But correct me if i'm wrong.

Walt. H.
05-11-2005, 12:44 AM
Avialanche,

Just a passing thought:
Check and see if it has a seperate 110 volt gas generator, many of them Donzi LXC 275 cruisers do for when you can't hook up to shore power. That 54hr's of run time might just be for the gen since its so low in hours, because a 1996 cruiser like that should have more like 200 thru 600 hours.

Does it look like this one? 1995 29' 275 LXC with 238 hr's and trailer, I was going to check it out for myself but it sold the same day I was planing to look at it for around $25K. :banghead:

Walt

Rootsy
05-11-2005, 07:05 AM
the Merc Thunderbolt V ignition module stores the hour information... someone with the proper "scan" tool can pull that information for you.

JR

Avialanche
05-11-2005, 07:24 AM
Avialanche,

Just a passing thought:
Check and see if it has a seperate 110 volt gas generator, many of them Donzi LXC 275 cruisers do for when you can't hook up to shore power. That 54hr's of run time might just be for the gen since its so low in hours, because a 1996 cruiser like that should have more like 200 thru 600 hours.

Does it look like this one? 1995 29' 275 LXC with 238 hr's and trailer, I was going to check it out for myself but it sold the same day I was planing to look at it for around $25K. :banghead:

WaltThank you for replying, yes the boat looks excatly like the one in the pic, except it's sitting on the matching factory eagle trailer. I don't think it has the generator, and as for the low hours, it's located in a small town with small lake, most boats on this lake are ski boats, kinda hard to run up lots of time on a lake this size with such a big boat.

Avialanche
05-11-2005, 08:33 PM
the Merc Thunderbolt V ignition module stores the hour information... someone with the proper "scan" tool can pull that information for you.

JRTHanks for the info, will try to get it scanned before purchasing the boat.

Avialanche
05-15-2005, 08:11 AM
I've done the closing on the boat, and will be picking it up on Thursday, it's a 4-hour drive away from home, again i will be performing a more intensive survey/inspection when i get there since the price is still open for negotiation pending survey/inspection.

Are there any particular problems that are associated with this year and model that i should look for?

Avialanche
05-15-2005, 12:17 PM
Avialanche,

Just a passing thought:

WaltThanks for your input, i've checked with the broker and owner, they claim there is no generator. I am purchasing it for $33,000 with matching Eagle steel trailer.

Walt. H.
05-17-2005, 08:29 AM
Wow Avialanche!

That was real close to the original asking price, must have been love at first sight.

Congrat's and would love to see some photos it when you get her home, i've seen the original sales pic but others would be nice.

Avialanche
05-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Wow Avialanche!

That was real close to the original asking price, must have been love at first sight.

Congrat's and would love to see some photos it when you get her home, i've seen the original sales pic but others would be nice.Well, the owner wasn't that flexible, however, when compared to other boats on the net that had a 100 hours or more and $4 g's more, it had the lowest hours, and most important, it had a trailer, none of the others that were going for 35 g's or more had a trailer with it in my 500 mile radius, it's a little weathered on the outside, but nothin little TLC can't cure, the inside is perfect except for the chrome/mirror paint coming of some of the mirror panels and doors on the edges. I ran it both days this weekend, runs flawlessly, everything works except for the winshield wiper. I don't know about the water heater yet, but don't see why it wouldn't work, since the boat has 62 hours on it. now. I Did find some wheels on the trailer that were loose and so i had the broker/dealer repack the bearings at the seller's expense. I will post pics soon.

Avialanche
06-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Am very happy with this boat, only problem i had so far, was the pump for the sinks and toliet, pump had a sticky pressure switch, which i overhauled and works fine now, had to pull the fridge out to get to it. I know every knook and cranny now, since it took me an hour to find the pump. Here are some pics.