PDA

View Full Version : Question...

HollaGeo
05-09-2005, 08:39 PM
I appreciate all the feedback I recieve. I am 23 and lack experience compared to you older guys :cool: . Hanging out with friends on my 22 Classic isn't realistic? Is there a Donzi that can adequately adhere to my boating needs (Big enough area for 5 or 6 friends)? Or should I focus my attention on a Bayliner, Sea Ray, etc.?

Next question which has nothing to do with the above is; Are there Donzi boating clubs that actually make a member feel like a member. There is a New Jersey Performance Boat Club (I am from NJ). I e-mailed some guy and he told me there are about 300 members and basically you only see each other 5x a season. Plus, you have to pay dues. I am looking for a club type thing that my gf and I can meet other boat owners, race each other, anchor together, etc. If anybody knows of a club that has monthly meetings year round, weekends you all drive together, go to Lake George, etc. I have been a boater for years. My father has a Luhrs and has friends he has met over the years. I guess I am younger, a little more hyper active and am interested in meeting people that share my passion. Anything in the Long Island, New Jersey area???

onesubdrvr
05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
I appreciate all the feedback I recieve. I am 23 and lack experience compared to you older guys :cool: . Hanging out with friends on my 22 Classic isn't realistic? Is there a Donzi that can adequately adhere to my boating needs (Big enough area for 5 or 6 friends)? Or should I focus my attention on a Bayliner, Sea Ray, etc.?

Next question which has nothing to do with the above is; Are there Donzi boating clubs that actually make a member feel like a member. There is a New Jersey Performance Boat Club (I am from NJ). I e-mailed some guy and he told me there are about 300 members and basically you only see each other 5x a season. Plus, you have to pay dues. I am looking for a club type thing that my gf and I can meet other boat owners, race each other, anchor together, etc. If anybody knows of a club that has monthly meetings year round, weekends you all drive together, go to Lake George, etc. I have been a boater for years. My father has a Luhrs and has friends he has met over the years. I guess I am younger, a little more hyper active and am interested in meeting people that share my passion. Anything in the Long Island, New Jersey area???
Well, I'm in Florida, but my wife an I are like you, looking for a few friends to go boating with. This weekend, we are hosting an event. We are getting together with possibly 5 other donzi's and there owners for a little run. So one idea would be to put something together and post it here in the Events and Gatherings section. Also, try atlantic coast donzi's (someone chime in here with the web site). Also, check the events and gatherings section for the Lake George Donzi Dustoff get together happening soon, post on there, I'm sure someone would offer you a ride, and it would be a chance to meet some people.
As far as the boat, there are a few options.
I own a 1988 Donzi Ragazza, seats 8 comfortably, you can swim off of it, etc. I rebuilt the engine in it and it's a 60mph boat, kind of a sleeper. While I wouldn't necessarily recommend a Ragazza, donzi has made a few bow riders over the years. The Z-22 is a nice boat - similar to the Ragazza, but better hull design, and produced until I believe 2002. They can be had for a good price, and can be alot of fun. If you need something even bigger, there is always a Donzi Deck Boat, seats ALOT (I think 10 in the 23'), and can be a sleeper too. There is one in Jacksonville, Fl. here that does 75mph (I think) (supercharged). You could bring a grill / etc. on one of these and still have a ton of room.
Either way, I'd try to stay with a Donzi. There is no finer group of people than the Donzi owners here, and in my opinion, Donzi is one of the best boats built - REGARDLESS of model.

Sincerely, good luck,
Wayne

TuxedoPk
05-09-2005, 09:20 PM
While you are bound to meet many people reguardless of what brand or type of boat you purchase, the QUALITY of the people you'll meet if you become part of the Donzi family is truly amazing.

One of the things that makes this group so outstanding is diversity. Diversity in terms of age, affluence, education, occupation, and other interests. There is also a diversity in terms of experience with boating and mechanics. We've even got a couple of Canadians :)

In terms of 'clubs' per se, each of the Donzi gatherings has a different feeling. Last year I attendeed AOTH in Kentucky, MADCOW in Michigan, and ran the Winni Poker Run. There was a very different feel between these 3 events yet all were great. (Unfortunately I missed the Lake George event).

My strong suggestion- drive/fly to Lake Cumberland in Kentucky next week. It's about a 16 hour ride from where you are- (I did it from Montvale last year). Aside from getting a chance to meet many of the people active on the Donzi board you will also get a chance to see and ride in several different types of Donzis and you'll get a better feel for what boat is right or wrong for you.

You'll get to experience the difference between riding in a 22 or on an 18, see just how little storage space there is in a 16', 18', and 22' Donzi and find out what people are doing as 'workarounds' when partying. You'll also get to see a really great Donzi Black Widow that has plenty of party space as well as a great ride.

Bring your appetite for a great BBQ, and a pair of swim trunks for a swim under the waterfalls and be prepared to make a bunch of new friends.

boldts
05-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Holla,

Let me just start by saying I can't speak for all the club presidents, but here is my take on being the president of the Midwest Donzi Club.

I started the club and do all the running of the club from my home in my spare time. I have a little website knowledge so I do my own website work. The Awakening of the Horses Donzi gathering all started because 2 other Donzi owners I met through this website wanted to go to Lake Cumberland for a weekend. I asked "Why not invite every Donzi all across America?" With help from many members here, including presidents of other Donzi clubs, especially FastEddie of the Lake George club, so began the Midwest Donzi club and the Awakening of the Horses annual gathering at Lake Cumberland in Kentucky. We've been doing it for 5 years now and yes, we only hold that 1 gathering every year.

My father also belonged to a boat club. They would go to different lakes and rivers here in Ohio. I grew up on a boat. The only difference between what my father was doing and what Donzi clubs do, is it was more like the local yacht club. A Donzi gathering is not a yacht club.

I started our club because I owned an 18' Classic and in the 15 years of ownership here in Central Ohio, I only saw 2 other Donzis'. My goal in starting the Midwest Donzi Club was to give other Donzi owners a website where they could look for other Donzi owners in their state or surrounding states and have information to now contact those owners to get together and have friends to boat with. I don't charge a yearly due, but you also don't get monthly newsletters telling you what is happening in the Donzi world. I try to get a picture of the owners Donzi so that people who don't know what a Donzi is can see the boats and compare the different models.

Lets face it, you don't see 20 Donzi boats on most lakes unless your down in Florida and you may not even see 20 on a weekend there unless it is the Annual Donzi Owners Rendezvous held once a year in Sarasota. Donzi is not Sea Ray, Rinker, Baja or Bayliner. You don't see a ton of them on the lakes except when we get together at the club gatherings being held across the country. I believe what you and your GF are looking for is available in the NJ area. It's just not going to be a Donzi only group. There are plenty of performance boats you can hook up with. Most of their owners have the same wants and likes that Donzi owners share.

Now then, the 5 or 6 friend issue. Heck man, your 23 and own a 22 Classic? Your like the kid in High School that had the 66 Corvette split window fastback or the Shelby Mustang. Believe me, everyone is envious of you! Grant it, a Donzi Classic is not a party barge for 6 friends, but you can't buy a sexier, more admired boat unless you buy a Cigarette and even then, the Cigarette owner is going to look at your Classic and compliment you on your Donzi. You'd be surprised how many bigger performance boat owners will walk up to you and want to talk about your little Donzi Classic. Yep, I've been to a couple poker runs and experienced what I'm talking about here. There is nothing else like it being built.

Sure hope I didn't scare you off. The people here are tremendous. They'll offer anyone a helping hand in most cases. Take the time to meet a few. Either at our Donzi gathering or one happening closer to NJ. If you decide the 22 Classic isn't the right boat for you, no problem. When you find the model you like best and fits all your needs, just ask someone here to look at it for you if it's not in the NJ area. There have been countless examples of the members here doing that for other folks. Hope you stay in the Donzi family! Take a minute and join the Midwest Donzi Club and send me a shot of your Classic. Here is a list of most of the East coast clubs.

www.atlanticcoastdonzi.com
www.lgdonziclassic.com
www.northeastdonziclub.com
www.donziclub.com
www.rdonzi.net

In Michigan - Madcow - Lake St.Clair
Out West - Pacific Northwest Donzi Club
Down in Florida - The Seadogs
and of course our club - www.mwdonziclub.com

mattyboy
05-10-2005, 12:50 PM
check out the Lake George Classic club Dustoff in June it is 2.5 to 3 hours from you it is on awesome Lake George and has a great turnout of Donzi people and boats it mets formally 2 times a year but is known to have informal meetings of it's members during the year well some of us , it's the only event I have seen people come to by hook or crook or rented boat to see and ask questions on the boats ,restoration,and purchasing. It has a line up of some of the most awesome restored , modified,customized, and original Donzi's in the world
plus it's is celebrating it's 10 anniversary this year should be a great event

and as said before the people you meet here are truly great

now if it seems like I'm a homer for the dustoff well I am ;)
it is close with the kids still in school, once that is done i plan on venturing to the other events farther away.
depending are where you boat there always seems to be a hot spot to hang out that's a good place to start to meet boaters

good luck