PDA

View Full Version : Kodak Digital Cams

onesubdrvr
05-09-2005, 07:23 PM
I've been looking around, and I am leaning towards the 4.0 or 5.0 mpx Kodak with the 10x optical zoom. I like this unit primarily because of the printer. Is there any real difference in quality between the Kodak, HP's, Fuji's, / etc. or is it pretty much 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other?

Thanks!!, I need a new camera before this weekend!
Wayne

blackhawk
05-10-2005, 09:36 AM
I have an older Kodak Digital and it takes good pictures. I can't compare them to the others because I have no first hand experience with them. But, I can tell you this, my Kodak has been beat, dropped, kicked, gotten wet, you name it and it still works! Knock on wood. :D

Cuda
05-10-2005, 10:09 AM
My first was a Kodak, which I lost, and it took the best pictures. Since then I've had Fugi and Cannon, neither of which takes as clear a picture as the Kodak did.

pmreed
05-10-2005, 02:01 PM
Do you have a Kodak Printer? I've got Pentax and an Olympus, and I'm happy with both. My printer is an HP and didn't figure into my choice of camera.

Phil

onesubdrvr
05-10-2005, 09:18 PM
No on the Kodak printer, I am using a Brother multi function right now, but was looking at the Kodak camera for the printer with the camera mount. (photo size pictures only). I decided on the Konica-Minolta DiMage Z20, 5mpx, 8X optical zoom. I've taken a couple of pics, and so far I really like.

Can anyone recommend a picture size? The presets are 2560x1920, 2048x1536, 1600x1200, 640x480. I got the 256mb card, 2560x1920 at 5mpx = 127 pictures.

Thanks
Wayne

RedDog
05-10-2005, 10:15 PM
Can anyone recommend a picture size? The presets are 2560x1920, 2048x1536, 1600x1200, 640x480. I got the 256mb card, 2560x1920 at 5mpx = 127 pictures.

Thanks
Wayne

Use the biggest size and buy a bigger card if 127 shots isn't enough (or keep a laptop around to off-load the pics). Its easy to reduce the size after the pic has been taken... Can't make the great shot that could have been larger.

kinda like HP - the more in reserve the better. Bigger is important because you can crop in for more detail and still have adequate resolution. It is important to consider post-processing of the pics on your computer to fine-tune the resolution, color, and sharpness.

I shoot at 3456x2304 :) and use a 1 gig card - around 110 shots in RAW mode; 290 in standard JPEG mode

onesubdrvr
05-10-2005, 10:18 PM
Use the biggest size and buy a bigger card if 127 shots isn't enough (or keep a laptop around to off-load the pics). Its easy to reduce the size after the pic has been taken... Can't make the great shot that could have been larger.

kinda like HP - the more in reserve the better. Bigger is important because you can crop in for more detail and still have adequate resolution. It is important to consider post-processing of the pics on your computer to fine-tune the resolution, color, and sharpness.

I shoot at 3456x2304 :) and use a 1 gig card - around 110 shots in RAW mode; 290 in standard JPEG mode
Wow, thanks for the info!! is RAW the cleanest format? and don't worry, I'll be getting a bigger / better card in a couple of weeks, just wanted to get something before this weekend. I hope the camera is what I expect it to be!!

Wayne

pmreed
05-10-2005, 10:34 PM
Wayne, it's a quality issue; depends on the ultimate use for your image. If you plan on blowing it up and framing it, use the highest resolution possible. If the pics you're taking are to post on the Donzi.net, think no more than 1600X1200, ideally much less as long as you can get the idea across. Rule of thumb:::::Take your pics at the highest resolution your camera/memory/computer system can handle( as long as you won't run out of memory). You can always edit your picture down. You can't edit it up. However, if you want to take lots of snaps of an event, birthday party, poker run, boat renovation...think low. Another little appreciated fact with digitals, once you snap the pic, the chip gots to download to memory before you can take the next shot. That takes time; lower resolution, less time.
So, for family portraits, pretty pictures of flowers, intricate details on Egyptian monuments, use the highest quality. For everything else, consider the ultimate use. Take a bunch of pics of the same thing using different settings and then compare them. You'll quickly get a feel for the correct balance. My guess is that you'll do the same thing we all do; you'll pick a medium high resolution and leave it there. :cool:

Phil

RedDog
05-10-2005, 10:34 PM
...is RAW the cleanest format...

edit - yeah - what Phil said - he types faster than me and maybe more to the point

Not necessarily but maybe...

I am still a novice at RAW, but it is a format that exactly duplicates what your camera sensor is seeing. It allows the broadest / most flexible range of computer post-processing prior to printing or converting to a JPEG file. With it you can take a severely under exposed or over exposed photo and recover a decent shot. It has to be converted for your typical imaging software programs to display. If you can shoot in RAW, the software came with your camera. I would be surprised if your Kodiak shoots in RAW but could be wrong.

When a digital camera is set to JPEG format, the camera actually takes the RAW image and does its own post-processing to convert it to a JPEG. My camera has settings that you can adjust for how that in-camera post-processing is handled (more of this, less of that, etc. - I use the default though)

Formula Jr
05-12-2005, 08:06 PM
First pick all the features you want
Then make sure the camera uses
off the shelf accessories.

After some study, I settled on the HP 635, which has been superceeded by the 735.
Features I wanted.
1. Ture optical zoom.
2. mpeg movies with sound up to the limit of the memory card.
3. Standard AA batteries - I use nickel-metal hydride AA.
4. Standard Multimedia memory cards.
5. Standard USB cable.
6. Intuitive controls.
7. Macro ability.
8. Anti Red Eye flash.
9. TV video out. - Mine doesn't have this unless you get the extra dock.

It does most all these things and and about a dozen other things I'll never use.

If I want a print that looks like a shinny photo, I can do that on my printer, HP 1210, or take the multimedia card to photo printer at a store for 35 cents each.

But what ever you get, just make sure it uses standard interfaces, bats, cords, etc. These are the Gottcha items that will drive you crazy.

OH, I see you already bought one. Oh well.....
I have a question though. If I have taken a hirez pic and want it printed out to something larger than 8 by 11 on photo stock, how do I do that?
Kinkos?

onesubdrvr
05-12-2005, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the input everybody,

I did get one, and I'll post some pictures with it after our "get together" this weekend.

Thanks again
Wayne