PDA

View Full Version : Speaker Install in an 18

Maine18
05-09-2005, 07:04 AM
Hi everyone. I've been hanging around this site for a few years now - finally got my Donzi. It's a 2004 18 with the Merc 350 Mag / Bravo. Got a few questions regarding stereo / speaker install.

Does anyone know what size speakers will fit in the cut-outs in the side panels? What does the factory put in - Sony 6.5" or 5.25"? There is only one cut-out in each side panel - I'm assuming the other two speakers they put in go down in the foot well area...? Also - how do those side panels come off? Not sure if those buttons just snap off or unscrew or what. Don't want to break them. I have an amp I want to put in as well - I was going to mount it up under the deck - anyone have any input on that idea? I really don't want to damage the deck...hope it's strong enough.

Thanks in advance for all the help.

- Jamie

Sam
05-09-2005, 07:58 AM
Sorry to say Jamie that I don't have a clue to your speaker question but did want to say congrats on your new baby and welcome to the other world :eek!: .

Sam

Dr. Dan
05-09-2005, 08:00 AM
:spit: Jamie...Welcome...Congrats on the fine ride...I know there are alot of Board Members here who can guide you on specifics...but I would suggest you don't mount "ANYTHING" under your deck, you will find , Factory Wiring Harness and minor and light weight items, attched up there. But if ya put anything of Mass up there...it's gonna fall, and damage your boat and itself.

Most guys do the Mounts up under the Deck in the Ski Area or off to the side in their own isolated Box area that they fabricate. I have a Buddy who has a changer and or amp in his Engine Compartment, mounted to the Bulkhead.

The Banging and wave action is something to consider...what ever you do!

As for speakers, Most have them located by your feet and in the Sides of the Passenger area between the Cockpit Seats and the Rear Seat...some one will post photos.

Do a search on the Registry here..I know there are pics...I wanna do a killer stereo some day...but its soooo far after all of my other priorities with the Boat...that it takes a back seat...I tend to listen to either the wave action or the V-8 Humming?

Good Luck

Doc :bonk:

Maine18
05-09-2005, 08:09 AM
thanks. and trust me, i know there are a lot more important things besides the audio system - it's more of a "family" request. i already have a Stainless Marine HI-TOUQUE exhaust system on order. hoping to get a Procharger on it as soon as they make them available for the 2004's. good call on the deck mounting - i didn't want to do it, but i read someone on here saying that's where to put it. i have done lots of searches already. maybe i'll put it in the engine compartment like you said. any more help will be appreciated...

- jamie

txtaz
05-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Jamie, I did a big stereo install somewhere around 1300 watts. There are several threads on stereos to search out. I mounted my amp and sub under deck. I had to epoxie the bolts into the cases and cut extra mounting screw holes just to keep it up and I think something is still coming loose. If I had to redo it, I would mount amps to the bulkhead in the engine compartment, put the sub all the way up front (Bazooka) in the ski well and use a regular ol head unit of your choice. I think the speakers are 6.5. Mine are in the footwells and behind the seats. I cut my own holes in the rear before I knew there were cutouts...oooopppsss. Ohh and mounting under deck is a pain in the neck.....LITERALLY.
Wes
PS. Pyle makes a good 1000 watt marine amp, not too expensive.

Cybercop
05-10-2005, 11:37 PM
If I had to redo it, I would mount amps to the bulkhead in the engine compartment, put the sub all the way up front (Bazooka) in the ski well and use a regular ol head unit of your choice. Wes,

Interesting point you make about mounting the amp to the bulkhead. Having endured a recent break-in that resulted in loss of my amp, I wonder if anyone else has gone this route with succes or failure? I would "like" to do the same on my 33Z-Crossbow, but of course worry whether the heat with twin 454HOs in their being a problem.

DickB
05-11-2005, 06:51 AM
I'd stay away from amps in the engine compartment. Electrical equipment in there should be ignition protected.