PDA

View Full Version : gas gauge not working??? or just the way it is

blueliner
05-08-2005, 05:08 PM
i know this has been discussed before but i just got my new 05 Aronow edition and the gas gauge has not moved once. it moves from e to f on start up, so i know there is current going to it, but no movement after that. i just filled up today 145 liters out of a possible 200 and it was still on full. i think i have an issue w/ this. could the float be stuck. if so, how can i unstick it??? i know boat gas gauges are notorious for not being accurate, but is it to much to ask for it to at least move. any thoughts would be welcomed. thanks in advance.

loving my boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dfunde01
05-08-2005, 05:36 PM
i know this has been discussed before but i just got my new 05 Aronow edition and the gas gauge has not moved once. it moves from e to f on start up, so i know there is current going to it, but no movement after that. i just filled up today 145 liters out of a possible 200 and it was still on full. i think i have an issue w/ this. could the float be stuck. if so, how can i unstick it??? i know boat gas gauges are notorious for not being accurate, but is it to much to ask for it to at least move. any thoughts would be welcomed. thanks in advance.

loving my boat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Classic 16 05 had the same problem, but stuck on E. First outing and a few hard swell bounces cleared it right up.

Dave

MOP
05-08-2005, 09:07 PM
Pull the deck access hole cover take a 2X2 and put it against the top of the tank close to the sender give it a few taps, not hard but hard enough to jolt the tank top. It is plastic you won't hurt anything, if that does not work remove the wire to the sender and see if the gauge drops to empty. The problem is most likely mechanical but also could be an electrical problem, it is possible for the sender wire to be grounding some where along the way. Your dealer should be fixing this for you!

Phil

boxy
05-08-2005, 09:40 PM
Phil, his dealer is 2000 miles away.......

MOP
05-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Did not know that!

blueliner another question does the gauge move when the key is turned on! If no motion at any time the sender arm is stuck and it may need to be removed and possibly replaced if thumping the tank does not work. If hte gauge does move and just jumps to full the sender wire is grounding out.

Phil

blueliner
05-08-2005, 11:20 PM
yes, reads E and when i start her up goes to Full and stays there. the local hi-perf garage is coming to my boat to look at a few things thgis week. thanks for the input.

Did not know that!

blueliner another question does the gauge move when the key is turned on! If no motion at any time the sender arm is stuck and it may need to be removed and possibly replaced if thumping the tank does not work. If hte gauge does move and just jumps to full the sender wire is grounding out.

Phil

RickSE
05-09-2005, 11:42 AM
Blue,
The sending unit is easy to pull, but I wouldn't pull it with a full tank. The shop guys should be able to pull it and check the mechanism for proper operation. Hopefully you'll be there to watch, just make sure they're careful around your boat. Will this be the first time they've come out?