PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Guys

Homer
05-08-2005, 10:01 AM
If one was to buy a used boat in the U.S. and try to bring it into Canada what is required? What papers are needed, what taxes have to be paid and what do you do about getting the trailer re-registired? Also to get a boat shipped, how much approx. does it cost and how would you go about setting something like that up?

Any suggestions and info. would be great, thanks for your help.

Dave

Lenny
05-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Homer, there is nothing to it.

Get a separate bill of sale for the trailer and one for the boat. DO NOT SCREW around with the price at the Border. You pay PST and GST on the converted Can$ value of the package. You will get your numbers issued at the border crossing in most cases.

Shipping is about $1.00 US a mile or LESS. I used A-1 Boat transport for mine. It traveled 2400 miles for $1900US. You just have to wait till they have a full trailer of boats before the trek begins.

Our border cares nothing of the registration or liens etc. It is not a question they ask. If you are happy with it, they are happy with it. The trailer WILL need the previous registration tho for, Importation and insurance and Federal Inspection here.

The Federal Inspection involves making sure the tires comply with the load rating and the lights work and there are a sufficient amount of them. :rolleyes:

Call me if you have any other questions :D 250-474-4005

Ed Donnelly
05-08-2005, 12:09 PM
Homer; In Ontario you pay the GST at the border, and when you register the boat, you pay the PST.If you keep the U.S.registration, you don't pay PST(I still run the Alabama #'s 11yrs.now) Don't mess with the price you paid at the border.
When I brought my Criterion SS across the border,I had a 2nd bill of sale for $10,000
The customs inspector knew more about my Donzi than I did( He was a REAL Donzi nut) Also in Ontario, you need a recall sheet from the trailer mfg. Any trailer co. can re certify it for you ,then you can get your plates..If you need any more info, call me too.............Ed

Home 416 744 2345
Cell 416 984 2854

PS Lenny is one of the few B.C. boys that doesn't refer to us as EASTERNERS

Homer
05-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. and help. Before I even start to look into buying a boat I wanted to know the facts. I have a couple of problems that I need to sort out as well before anything happens, 1) MONEY 2) dad won't let me move is 86 18 classic out of the boathouse to put in my boat. Hopefully I will be the proud owner of an X-18 sometime in the near future.

Dave Homenuk

P.S. Thanks for the phone numbers you may hear from me in the future.

Zudnic
05-09-2005, 12:03 PM
A couple of months ago I bought a Airstream Camper trailer and 87-F250 at an estate sale. I got it because both had been cheap and my Uncle wanted an Airstream (so going to sell to him). He found one the day before forgot to tell me. So instead of just the truck, both went on Ebay!

The buyer lives in Victoria, B.C. All the border cared about was bill of sale and proof of insurance. They felt the value was low on the truck, estate sale, family had cash and just wanted to rid themselves of the stuff. Was not good enough for them, even the lawyers notarized bill of sale, they decided the value was low and that was it. They book valued it and the book price was almost double of what the real top condition value on the open market is. That was the only hassle letting them decide the value!!!!!