PDA

View Full Version : Hey, you guys with V8 Sixteens, how do you.....

gold-n-rod
05-08-2005, 07:48 AM
..... perform basic maintenance chores such as:

water pump impeller
R & R battery (especially duals)
belts
hoses
spark plugs
fuel filter/separator
front mounted accessories
etc.

Has anyone gone the route of adding (cutting :eek: ) addditional ports into the area behind the rear seat cushions or in the ski locker for better access?

Thanks in advance.

MOP
05-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I had a nice 12X12 pop out hatch behind the seat back that one of the prior owner put in to get at stuff and change the cam, mine had a slightly bumped up 302 Ford. Working on a 16 is a Joy to Behold, I am skinny and was a marine mech for a long time it was still a bit challenging. I have worked on both Ford & Chevy 16's one of the toughest jobs is the Chevy starter, you have to lay across the top of the engine and do it blind, the inner bolt can be a nightmare. Make sure you pull it off and grease the bolts before you put the engine in, we had to pull one out to change the darn thing. Adjustments are not quite as bad as some make them out, it is a patience thing take you time and just remember it is a machine you are smarter then it is. Grab yourself a belt tensioner the type that goes between the pulleys that screws out to push them apart, you will find out that a lot of stuff requires a 3rd hand if you got one. Spark plugs and water separators are some of the easy jobs, the block water pump should last for a long time and yes it is a bear of a job. Dual batteries is a where are you going to put it, I have my own tilt on that, I would explore putting it forward as the 16 porpoises so adding weight forward helps aft don't. You mention water pump impeller, if you have an inboard pump hope it is a crank mount they are not bad to work on with a seat back hatch belt driven are a lot tougher.

Now that being said the wonderful Donzi Daze will make up for your sweat & blood!

Phil

Lenny
05-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Randy, my sixteen has such a "port" behind the rear seat. I believe to aid in timing, waterpump etc. I don't know if the factory would have done this or it was an after-thought, but I have heard that they did this with 351 boats. ???

Rootsy
05-08-2005, 10:31 AM
my 16 came from the factory with a door behind the rear seat in front of the power steering pump. it isn't of much help except for setting ignition timing so i can see the balancer... i am fairly "skinny" so changing plugs and oil as well as filters is not much of a chore...

the water pump impeller in an alpha setup is in the sterndrive.. the circulating pump on the front of the motor should pose no issues unless the seal begins to leak and weep water into the bilge...

thermostat is easy enough...

helps to have small hands and be lanky to actually get in there and work easily...

JR

David Ochs
05-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Randy,
Spend a few extra bucks on a "Nitrile" impeller. I think the brand is Globe or Global if memory serves correctly. It's blue in color and really does outlast the standard neoprene type.

..... perform basic maintenance chores such as:

water pump impeller
R & R battery (especially duals)
belts
hoses
spark plugs
fuel filter/separator
front mounted accessories
etc.

Has anyone gone the route of adding (cutting :eek: ) addditional ports into the area behind the rear seat cushions or in the ski locker for better access?

Thanks in advance.