PDA

View Full Version : engine install in a 16

smokediver
05-07-2005, 06:37 PM
I wanted to ask what is the best way to fit a V8 into a 16 short of pulling off the cap . I am taking off the hatch and was wondering if one of the maniflods needs to come off as well ... i am going to get started pulling the 6 out this week ... i will make some one a great deal on it .... cheap cheap !!!!

MOP
05-07-2005, 07:11 PM
I wanted to ask what is the best way to fit a V8 into a 16 short of pulling off the cap . I am taking off the hatch and was wondering if one of the maniflods needs to come off as well ... i am going to get started pulling the 6 out this week ... i will make some one a great deal on it .... cheap cheap !!!!

You need to take the manifolds off along with anything attached to them the rest can stay on, then get it just clear of the mounts and turn the crank end 90 degrees to the port side. It takes a bit of wiggling! It is a good idea to slide a heavy blanket in under covering the iron angles, you can gouge the crap out of the pan.

Phil

Rootsy
05-07-2005, 08:12 PM
after you have unhooked all of the wires, remove the accessories and brackets from the front of the motor (alternator, Power Steering, fuel seperator, etc). Remove the exhaust manifolds and risers... helps to remove the water hoses at the water neck that go to teh manifolds too...

undo the top motor mount nuts on the big ole studs... remove the ones from the rear on the bellhousing... best way to pick the motor up is with a lifting plate that bolts to the pad where the carb bolts too...

pick the motor up off of the mounts and rotate it 90* clockwise when looking DOWN on the motor... you'll clear without issue and have about an inch on either side of the front motor mounts...

this is for removing and installing a V8... V6 might come out iwthout rotating it...

JR

Speed-Racer
05-07-2005, 08:26 PM
So a V-8 heh??

smokediver
05-08-2005, 07:14 AM
is it a good idea to cut an access hole behind the rear seat cushions ? seems like it is gonna be tough to get the accy's back on after install. also , does anyone use studs in place of bolts on their exhaust manifolds?

gold-n-rod
05-08-2005, 07:34 AM
is it a good idea to cut an access hole behind the rear seat cushions ? seems like it is gonna be tough to get the accy's back on after install. also , does anyone use studs in place of bolts on their exhaust manifolds?

I was wondering about that idea for better access to the water pump. Changing an impeller is going to be a beeetch.

Brad Verd suggests Stainless Marine manifolds since they are considerably lighter than the stockers. Eases the on/off process. Very spendy, however.

I think I'll break the topic of maintenance of V8 16's in another post, if you don't mind.

Speed-Racer
05-08-2005, 01:07 PM
PITCH OUT the rust prone standard water-pump, and just go with a SS crossover, and as for belts if you don't have any yet, go with old v-belt's so all u need is the powersteering and alternator mounts. Much cleaner, more efficiant, and no water-pump to rust! Also the acess hole is an idea we toyed with....