PDA

View Full Version : Somebody talk to me,...

onesubdrvr
05-04-2005, 04:45 PM
About the X-18

Differenced between this and a 18 classic?
Max power
Driveability

Etc., etc.,....Get juicy if you'd like!!

Wayne

mattyboy
05-04-2005, 04:57 PM
same bottom different top and seats

Geoo nuff said :yes:

Mr X
05-04-2005, 05:04 PM
Same exact hull as an 18 classic, the only difference is the deck, a slightly
raised up area in front of the cockpit and a little up sweep in the transom top area.

Marlin275
05-04-2005, 05:51 PM
Cockpit instruments are individually drilled out of fiberglass.
Motor mount stringers are cut out raw
and not sealed, from the factory.
Front seats are hi-back no swivel,
back seat is not wrap around on sides.

Max power, Geoo hasn't found out yet, 700+

Mr X
05-04-2005, 05:58 PM
They're faster....
LOL!!! True :p

EricG
05-04-2005, 06:19 PM
They're faster....

I can see the thread now:

5/3/2006 - newdonzisearcher posted:
I've heard that X-18's are faster than standard 18's, can someone tell me why? :biggrin:

-EG
Proud owner of the rare "non-sealed stringer cut-out" standard 18 :p

Marlin275
05-04-2005, 06:27 PM
QUOTE - EricG
I've heard that X-18's are faster than standard 18's, can someone tell me why? :biggrin:
-EG

The Worlds Fastest Classic
is an X-18 :biggrin: Fact !

Why? Geoo!

pmreed
05-04-2005, 06:41 PM
Wayne,

It's that wind tunnel designed front deck spoiler that makes all the difference. Keeps the bow down when exceeding 100 mph :D .

Phil

BUIZILLA
05-04-2005, 06:44 PM
It also seems to have just the right deck rise so the bugs hit you dead center in the neck...

anonymous

Lenny
05-04-2005, 06:55 PM
There is only 176 of them on Earth. (fewer no doubt)

onesubdrvr
05-04-2005, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the input everyone,....

I can't get it right now, I've got too much $$ tied up :bawling: . Those people building my house, and the fact that I've got the bug really pisses me off :splat: !!

But, NEXT year, after we are in the new house, this one sells, etc.

Wayne
ps,...if anyone is interested in Ted's old one, I've got a phone#, he's working a trade, but would rather sell out right.

mattyboy
05-05-2005, 06:43 AM
QUOTE - EricG
-EG

The Worlds Fastest Classic
is an X-18 :biggrin: Fact !

Why? Geoo!

actually now that you mention it I have seen identically powered x 18 and classic 18 and the x was faster do to the decreased aerodynamic drag of the the deck line????????????

believe it or not?????? not mention the difference in hydrodynamics of the volvo and merc powered versions????

maybe they were limited in production because they were too fast???

theres such a fine line between fact and fiction???

HMMMMMMMMMMMM ;)

ALLAN BROWN
05-05-2005, 08:58 AM
In the days that the X-18 was built, Tim and John Chisholm (Pres. and V-Pres. of Donzi), Jim Breuil (Pres. of Magnum) myself (Pres. of Nova) occasionally Pack St. Clair (Pres. of Cobalt) Dick Genth and Stu Jackson (Pres. and Vice Pres. of T-Bird-Formula) played gin rummy twice a week at the Racquet Club. The ad agency that Tim used then, sent a dozen ideas for their ad campaign. Tim brought them to the game. On the top of the stack was a beautiful 4-color ad of the X-18 with the headline "When they built this baby, they threw away the mold!". We couldn't play for an hour from laughing.

onesubdrvr
11-20-2005, 08:52 PM
Does anyone know why they stopped with the X-18? was it intended as a limited line? was there no larger demand over the standard 18's?

Thanks
Wayne

Cuda
11-20-2005, 11:40 PM
Donzi is a business. They have to look at the bottom line. The only reason they would quit making something, is because they weren't making enough money selling them. Now, this could be from lack of sales, or because an X was more expensive to build. I rather think it was from a lack of sales, that it was just siphoning off sales that would have gone to the 18 Classic anyway, and it is undoubtably more cost effecient to make only one model.

18FOOTER
11-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Cockpit instruments are individually drilled out of fiberglass.
Motor mount stringers are cut out raw
and not sealed, from the factory.
Front seats are hi-back no swivel,
back seat is not wrap around on sides.
Max power, Geoo hasn't found out yet, 700+
Wayne, this X has the high back seats, as you've seen, but they are swivel and slide, and I'm pretty sure they're original.

mattyboy
11-21-2005, 08:00 AM
Cuda's
got that right same was probably true of the corsican too , just too many 18 foot models now think about it hindsight is always 20/20 what if they stretched the molds back then and introduced an X-20 !!!!! or X-22 that would have been awesome the swooped deck line on a 22, but that might have meant the minx and the 22 C would have never been born????
Time travel what a bitch ;)

onesubdrvr
11-29-2005, 09:20 AM
With the changed deck, (the upsweep), does that give any more leg clearance from the cutout to the deck? it appears that the freeboard is marginally higher in the X(?) due to the changed deck(?)

Wayne

gcarter
11-29-2005, 08:48 PM
It also seems to have just the right deck rise so the bugs hit you dead center in the neck...
anonymous
Jim, doesn't it also catch air on a cold day? (Think March) (How about 39*?)

18FOOTER
11-30-2005, 08:18 AM
This "X" #CX1816 does not have molded pedestals/boxes. It has the swivel pedestals bolted to a flat floor. Maybe it's rarer than I thought? Lenny???

mrfixxall
11-30-2005, 09:39 AM
mine has the molded fiberglass seat support.....1977 x 18

SideshowRob
12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
I've just been searching the site, trying to get some history, info on the whole X-18. Our X has sliding/swivelling seats? They look original.
I have some questions about it. I know it's a somewhat rare boat, but am I obligated to keep this boat in stock form? I'm not talking about putting a luggage rack on the bow or anything, I mean if I want to do something different with the dash. How sacreligious is it to stray from stock? I am planning on pulling the engine next fall to rebuild and "tweak" it just a little. :biggrin: