PDA

View Full Version : 22 ZX Engine Vents

Zinger
05-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Has anyone added side vents like the one's on the classic, the vents underneath the rear hatch seems like a poor design to get any decent air flow.Jeff

Trueser
05-04-2005, 12:17 PM
I agree, I was looking at that myself. There is no airflow from the forward compartment also.

The other problem is the amount of water that can run up in there.

Mike

synack
05-05-2005, 11:35 PM
The 4 vents should be able to easily flow enough air for the engine. However, it would be nice if there was a way to get fresh cool air to the engine.

Has anyone added side vents like the one's on the classic, the vents underneath the rear hatch seems like a poor design to get any decent air flow.Jeff

Zinger
05-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Synack, your absolutely right to get the air out but how do you get the same amount of fresh air in without manual fans. Jeff

Uncle Fester
05-06-2005, 12:49 PM
I've never noticed any excessive heat in the engine compartment. I assume that Donzi did a ton of testing before this model went into production and the four vents are adequate.

What is the vent up front on the starboard side on the bow? Figure it must be some sort of pickup that takes air back to the engine too.

Would of been nice if they would have gave the cuddy a deck vent like the 26.

Probably all of us 22ZX guys have looked at this thread, so now would be a good time/place to ask.....has anyone figured out how to pop the bow nav light apart to replace the bulb? I've tried prying it with a screwdriver to the point I'm affraid it may break. I've tried twisting it to see if it just twists in with a quarter turn. No noticeable hardware in the cuddy to access. Not super important unless I stay out too late, but I do need to get her fixed.

Richard McCoy
05-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Vent in bow is that the horn? Only has a small wire hole under bow light you need to take the light off to change the bulb. The rear vents are made by ITC INC. 4" item # 81931. Heat rises. One or two vents hoses to the bottom pulls cooler air in as heat rises and exits from the remaining vents.

Lil Grizz
05-06-2005, 06:15 PM
I've never noticed any excessive heat in the engine compartment. I assume that Donzi did a ton of testing before this model went into production and the four vents are adequate.

What is the vent up front on the starboard side on the bow? Figure it must be some sort of pickup that takes air back to the engine too.

Would of been nice if they would have gave the cuddy a deck vent like the 26.

Probably all of us 22ZX guys have looked at this thread, so now would be a good time/place to ask.....has anyone figured out how to pop the bow nav light apart to replace the bulb? I've tried prying it with a screwdriver to the point I'm affraid it may break. I've tried twisting it to see if it just twists in with a quarter turn. No noticeable hardware in the cuddy to access. Not super important unless I stay out too late, but I do need to get her fixed.
I twist the colored lenses about 1/4 turn counter clockwise and then it lifts off revealing the bulb. I dont know what type of light you have (mine is a hemi-sphere and all white).There is a rubber o-ring that sorta holds the two halves of the cover together at the bottom which dryrotted to dust on my boat.

I ended up replacing the whole lamp assembly to a newer chrome teardrop housing. I like the look of it better.

Uncle Fester
05-06-2005, 06:39 PM
I tried twisting to the point I'm affraid it will break. Picture is worth a thousand words.....

MOP
05-06-2005, 08:21 PM
Jeff if you do add the Classic vents why not run one to the carb to get cooler out side air, I have been thinking of a few ways to do it on mine. There is a guy out my way that runs a 540 and does have two bilge blowers running all the time, he said it made a ton of difference when he opened the hatch after a hard run.

Phil

Zinger
05-07-2005, 07:46 AM
I run the bilge blower all the time :smileybo: the natural circulation is very poor in this boat not like the classic which are forced in while the boat is underway. When the boat is stored with the engine down the engine collects alot of moisure , also the front compartment gets wet it takes a long time to dry out did anyone ever install a bow hatch/vent like the 26 zx on the 22 zx. Jeff

Lil Grizz
05-08-2005, 11:23 PM
I tried twisting to the point I'm affraid it will break. Picture is worth a thousand words.....
Yea that turns about 1/4 counterclockwise to remove. At least thats how it is supposed to come off, the rubber o-ring or maybe some wax build up could be acting like a glue.

I'm 100% sure thats how it comes apart. I just replaced mine. You have to pop the top off like this to get to the screws to remove it from the deck. I didnt like the yellowed look my original one had so I replaced the whole thing.