PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and Boating

TuxedoPk
05-04-2005, 03:08 AM
I'm looking into adopting a dog and was hoping to get some suggestions as to what breeds tend to enjoy going for rides in our type of boats, and any special precautions that need to be taken boating with pets.

Dr. Dan
05-04-2005, 05:18 AM
:smash: Well...I am sure it is unlimited...but I have seen many Dogs on Boats, I think a Doggy Life Vest is a must...not so much that they can't swim, but to add Bouncy and Assist in allowing them to get their head above water if they do not volunteer to go overboard!

Ya have to work with the Hairy's to make them secure with the sound of the V-8's, but they love the rush of wind, and the fast scenery!

Golden Retrievers, Labradors, Portugese Water Dogs, and a variety of smaller dogs are common sites on the Chesapeake. I would keep in mind the size of boat they will be riding in and freeboard....these considerations will become very apparent in a hurry when you take your maiden voyage...trust me! :beer:

Good Luck Rich!

Doc :smash:

Johntrip
05-04-2005, 05:36 AM
Dogs are alot of fun to take out on the boat. But, be careful with their nails, they will puncture your vinyl, scratch your gelcoat, and if left unattended they are notorious for knawing on whatever they can get in their mouths.

Met a guy last year who lost his 20lb dog out the back of his boat on a 3 mile trip to the sand bar..... never found the dog..... Doggy Vest would have helped......

I had an Austalian Shepard. He was a good swimmer. loved the boat so much that he would'nt let us leave without him.. He would swim after us if we left him at the dock.

Anyway, good luck.... Trey

TBroccoli
05-04-2005, 11:15 AM
Leave the dog at home.

TuxedoPk
05-04-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the input.

Dan- I was concerned about the freeboard issue as I felt as if I was going to go flying out the back of Crazy Horse's back seat. Is moderate speed the solution here?

Patti
05-04-2005, 11:21 AM
Now that i'm living here in Michigan, Jamie has inherited my dog..a mini dachshund named Frankie..I wonder how Frankie will do boating this summer :tongue:

Jamie wants a lab pup..which I think would be great for boating..so maybe this summer we'll get him one if I can find a reputable breeder.

Good luck finding a dog..i'm partial to labs myself..though my son would love a husky..but since he'll be going off to college next year he'll have to get one himself :tongue:

Dr. Dan
05-04-2005, 11:39 AM
:wavey: As the saying goes "everything in moderation" ... however, the real deal is this...just think of all you have to do while boating...if you are alone and trying to train a Dog to not jump out ...it's gonna be alot of work in a shorter freeboard boat. Think of it like a short fence...if the dog can jump it ..well...they will! Now Owen used to have the loyalist of Boat Pups...very famous around here...so maybe Formula Jr. can lend some suggestions.

I think if ya have company and help...that over time, they know what to do and what not to do! Nate has his "Hairy Kid" with him all of the time in the Fishboat...how do ya think he even gets the Hot Chicks on the Boat? :rlol:
"Hey wanna pet my Dog?"...yeah right..anyway.

Unless you have some assistance, and alot of patience, I agree with Tom ...leave the pup at home... mild occassional cruising could be fun...but Donzi Romping may result in more injuries than good times, in not only the Pup, but the upholstery and Gel too?

Keep us posted...either way..get a Doggy Vest... www.skilimited.com

Doc :D

harbormaster
05-04-2005, 12:58 PM
My chocolate Lab "Rowdy" is awesome. He loved the 18. He never jumped out. If he did it would be only one time. He has a dog vest.

When I was flushing the boat he would run and bounce off the fender, land in the boat, and wait for a boat ride.

McGary911
05-04-2005, 01:17 PM
Just like anything else, be careful. Jacket is a must. An old GF had one of those little jack russell things.....loved to swim around the boat when anchored. The jacket helped him float, and when it was time to come in, just reach over the side and grab the handle.
Another time we had just finished rebuilding the 4.3 on my friend's renken. It was the beginning of may and we wanted to test it on the Shark River (no sharks there). We brought along his 90 lb pit bull. Once on plane, motor ran fine, but the dog ran better. He had never been on a boat before, and he saw all that super flat water, and decided to go for a run. He must have thought that it was the worlds biggest parking lot, until the "asphalt" didnt hold him. we stopped the boat, and the dog pulled a moses and ran all the way back to the boat. He was fine, but showed us how fast things can happen, even when someone is watching the dog. Once he learned about boats, he came out on our 34 silverton all the time and loved it.

springs
05-04-2005, 03:14 PM
My black lab rides loves the boat. She also rides on the tube and kneeboard with me. The only problem is wherever I am she has to be there too, so if I jump out of the boat she out too.

Zudnic
05-04-2005, 03:41 PM
I took mine out on Keuka Lake last summer. Found the jackets the easiest way to get them back on the boat! I can't remember what type of runabout they had at the "resort" I stayed at! Dogs are Rottweilers.

dfunde01
05-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Standard Poodle or Portugese Water Dog. Don't shed. Love water. Smart as can be.

Dave

I'm looking into adopting a dog and was hoping to get some suggestions as to what breeds tend to enjoy going for rides in our type of boats, and any special precautions that need to be taken boating with pets.

TMANN
05-04-2005, 06:49 PM
Chino loves the water...
http://www.tiemworks.com/donzi/chino.jpg
TMANN

Mercrewser
05-04-2005, 08:16 PM
Our Standard Poodle wont swim:( . We cant sat the word "boat' without him going nuts. We always take him, its part of having a dog. I couldnt think of leaving him locked inside on a beautiful day. However, our boats have always had high freeboard, and someone is always sitting with him. Use common sense.

Surfer
05-05-2005, 07:38 AM
I don't suggest a dog in your Donzi, every time I take the boat out, I get all sorts of smiles and thumbs up on the great looking boat...I have a Scotty (just like the Bush's), that is the best boat dog I've ever had, trouble is when you take the dog out, nobody notices the boat, just the cool dog.

TuxedoPk
05-05-2005, 08:57 AM
Our Standard Poodle wont swim..
Maybe not a standard poodle, but I've seen a Madpoodle tow a GT single handed... :wink:

Formula Jr
05-06-2005, 04:43 PM
Definitly find a mid-size dog. Not too big that you can't pick it up, and not too small that it can't see over the gunnels. Henry had an amazing capacity to hang on to a boat with out opposing thumbs. And at one time, wouldn't even give up his seat to Lenny or Dave! Its pretty funny to think that, here is a creature that isn't even human, yet loves boats and speed just as much as we do. My dogs have been partners more than pets. Thats a different type of relationship than owner/pet. That takes alot of trust. And alot of risk. And you can just forget about obedience. Partners are not obedient to anyone.
If you get a dog from the pound, you will be getting a fully developed personality. And that dog will either like boats or not. Or bond with you or not. I lucked out.
If you get a puppy, you can introduce it to boats. But you have to do that just like with a child. A child that just might eat the interior of your boat.
And you have to have dog loving friends. For some reason, Donzis and dogs go together well. And Donzi people all seem to also be dog people.
Just don't get a Beagle and think it will stay in the boat.

TuxedoPk
05-18-2005, 04:37 PM
Just thought I'd post an update on my new k-9 pal, Scotty that I picked up a local rescue 10 days ago. Scotty is an 18 month old black lab/great dane mix that weighed in today at 72lbs. The vet said expect him to grow another 3 inches and wind up at a 90lb healthy weight within a year.

Scotty is definately a character and doesn't ever want to leave my side. A few quirky things I've noticed about him so far:

- He is afraid of water hoses, tubs, and showers. I took him to the lake today and he didn't want to even get his paws wet.

- He also hates riding in the car. He crapped in my car on the first ride and then proceeded to bury it in the back seat while I was driving. He tries to jump in the front seat and drive so I purchased a car harness. I made the mistake of running into Home Depot for 5 minutes with him in the shade and the windows cracked-he tore the rear sholder safety belt right out of the car.

- He has NO fear of other dogs and he almost never barks even when other dogs are going wild at him. He took a run to my neighbors house and I found him playfully wrestling 2 giant St. Bernards into submission. I thought they were going to tear him up.

In his first week he's managed to bring home and deposit a tick in my bed and I'm covered in poison ivy or something from romping thru the woods with him. The area under my left eye is blown up from some sort of bite.

Before I take him out on the Donzi I'm going to take him for a ride in my flat back canoe with battery power. I'm picking up the Ruffwear K9-Float coat for him and also found some interesting boots that are supposed to give dogs better grip on boats and will protect the gelcoat and vinyl. Has anyone used these? http://www.ruffwear.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.11/it.A/id.716/.f#

This is an old pic of Scotty from his prior owner. I haven't taken a new digital of him yet.

gold-n-rod
05-18-2005, 05:25 PM
[QUOTE=TuxedoPk]Before I take him out on the Donzi QUOTE]

Now let me get this straight. He doesn't like the water. He hates riding in the car. He dropped a deuce in your car and tried to bury it in the seat. He chewed up part of the interior of your car.

AND YOU WANT TO TAKE HIM OUT IN YOUR DONZI???????????????

Are you crazy??? :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

:confused:

TuxedoPk
05-18-2005, 07:41 PM
Now let me get this straight. He doesn't like the water. He hates riding in the car. He dropped a deuce in your car and tried to bury it in the seat. He chewed up part of the interior of your car.

AND YOU WANT TO TAKE HIM OUT IN YOUR DONZI???????????????

Are you crazy??? :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

:confused:

Ultimately, yes. He suffered a traumatic experience at the pound when they pressure cleaned the dog's cages- I'm going to just have to be patient with him and help him overcome his phobias. I'll see how he does out on the flatback canoe first. When the time comes I don't think he'll be frightened of the engine sound- he has no problem going right up to shop vaccums.

MOP
05-18-2005, 10:55 PM
Most all dogs love boating, everyone I ever owned always went along. My next dog pictured below, you can tell he is ready for a ride! :smile: